Thread Rating:
New Signing
Republic of Ireland winger Callum O'Dowda has signed for Cardiff City on a three-year contract.

The 27-year-old will become a Bluebird on 1 July after he comes out of contract with Championship rivals Bristol City.

The last of O'Dowda's 23 caps came against Wales in November 2020.

"I'm delighted. It's been a long process, from meeting the gaffer and going around the training ground, to... putting pen to paper," he said.

"The intent and the passion the manager showed, and also the business that the club has been doing in the transfer window, was something that I want to be part of.

"I'm at a stage in my career where I'm hungry, I want to achieve as much as I can, and I feel as though I could be hitting my prime now. So, it's all about kicking on with the right team, the right manager and a fantastic club."

O'Dowda - who can also operate as a left wing-back - joined Bristol City from Oxford United in 2016 and scored 10 goals in 176 appearances.

He played played 21 times in the 2021-22 season, scoring once, as the Robins finished 17th in the table - a place above Cardiff - but has been troubled in the past couple of campaigns by hamstring and knee ligament injuries.

Cardiff manager Steve Morison added on the club website: "It's been a long pursuit. We made contact a while back, he had a lot of options and he chose us at the end of it, so it's credit to all the hard work that everybody has put in.

"He fits the bill in all departments. He brings that quality in the final third and he's a really good athlete. He can score goals, he can make goals and we've just got to get the best out of him.

"I showed him the plan, explained how he would fit into that plan and showed him what we want to do. We want players who want to be here and be part of it and I'm really pleased to have him on board."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Cardiff City have signed out of contract Derby County goalkeeper Ryan Allsop on a two-year deal.

The 29-year-old signed for the Rams on a free transfer from Wycombe Wanderers last August on a one-year contract.

Allsop made 33 appearances last season as Derby were relegated to League One after a 21-point deduction for breaching financial rules.

"I was told there was interest from Cardiff City," Allsop told the Cardiff City website.

"I wanted to explore and see the ground and facilities, and I was blown away by it all. I'm delighted to get it over the line.

"It's a massive club and I'm honoured to be able to call myself a Cardiff City player and represent the Club in the best way that I can. I can't wait to get started."

Derby had hoped to be able to keep Allsop, but the uncertainty surrounding the Rams' finances - with Chris Kirchner withdrawing his bid to buy the troubled club on Monday - has had a huge impact on the playing resources.

Boss Wayne Rooney has only five contracted players on his staff and a new takeover bid - led by former Derby County chairman Andy Appleby - cannot be completed soon enough if successful.

Allsop is Bluebirds manager Steve Morison's eighth new recruit ahead of the 2022/23 season, joining Ebou Adams, Jak Alnwick, Ollie Tanner, Jamilu Collins, Callum O'Dowda, Vontae Daley-Campbell and Mahlon Romeo at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Morison said: "It's excellent that Ryan has joined the club and it's one that we've worked on for a little bit.

"The situation at Derby County has been a tough one, but he's been excellent and a massive part of how well they'd done on the pitch last season.

"He's a great lad and this is a great opportunity to come in, settle down and be a great goalkeeper for this football club."

Cardiff City have signed West Brom midfielder Romaine Sawyers for an undisclosed fee on a two-year deal.

Sawyers becomes the 10th first team signing by Cardiff this summer.

The 30-year-old has won 30 caps for Saint Kitts and Nevis and joins after spending last season on loan at Stoke.

"It's good to finally get it over the line. I spoke to the gaffer, he explained the product that he's got, and I feel like I want to be a part of it," Sawyers explained.

"The staff have been very welcoming, the players have been very welcoming, and it's good to be back within a team.

"We've got a lot of young, energetic players. I'm one of the more senior ones, who is going to be here to try and add a bit of experience and know-how of the league.

"I like to get on the ball, and I want to get the team playing. I'll try and chip in with a few goals and assists, and I like to bring others into play and put them in dangerous positions."

Cardiff boss Steve Morison added: "I'm sure everyone knows about Romaine and his qualities; he can be the difference in a game. He's a top quality Championship midfielder, which adds to the top quality players we already have.

"He's got undoubted quality to see a pass and make things happen. I'm very excited to have him on board, and I think the supporters should be as well.

"Obviously we can make five substitutions this season, and that will come into our thinking, so it's worth having those extra bodies in every position we can.

"It creates great competition, and I'm really looking forward to seeing them altogether."

Sawyers helped West Brom to promotion in 2019-20 and was named in the Championship team of the season, before playing 19 times for the Baggies in the top flight.

Cardiff City have signed West Bromwich Albion defender Cedric Kipre on a season-long loan.

Kipre, 25, has been allowed to leave the Hawthorns having made 20 appearances since joining Albion from Wigan Athletic in September 2020.

The centre-back had been a regular for the Latics, having previously played for Motherwell and for Leicester City as a youngster.

He becomes Cardiff manager Steve Morison's 12th signing of the summer.

West Brom paid a reported £900,000 to sign Kipre on a four-year deal following their promotion to the Premier League two summers ago, but the former Ivory Coast Under-23 international has struggled for regular game-time with Albion.

"I want to see competition across the board and to see players having to push each other," Morison told the club website.

"That's what Cedric brings and I'm really pleased to have him in the building.

"He's got really good experience, he's played loads of games in the Championship, he's at a great age and he's a really good character.

"He's another one who wanted to come here and be a part of it, which is a really good coup for us."

ardiff City have signed Tottenham Hotspur striker Kion Etete on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The 20-year-old spent most of last season on loan at Northampton Town and Cheltenham Town, scoring nine goals in 36 league and cup outings.

The 6ft 4in forward, who will wear the number nine shirt, is the 14th signing for the Bluebirds this summer.

"He has all the attributes to be a top striker. He is young and hungry," said manager Steve Morison.

"He is a player we see as a club that is ready now and can get better and better. We'd like to see how far we can take him."

Etete began his career with Notts County before joining Premier League side Spurs in 2019 after a successful trial.

The Derby-born striker is seen as a long-term signing for Cardiff, a player at an age and with a profile Morison is keen to develop.

"He's being brought in because he is strong, he's quick, he's athletic," Morison added.

"He will bring other players into the game. He will run the channels, he will run all day long, harry and close down.

"I'd like to think that with playing regular football at Championship level, training with those types of players every day, he will get better and better.

"I saw him at Northampton and one of the big things he needs to do is be consistent. We will ask him to be consistent with his hold-up play, the timing of his runs and his work play.

"We have got a top player on our hands. Just because I've signed someone who is big doesn't mean anything. Rubin [Colwill] is 6ft 4in and he can't head for toffee!"

It is thought Cardiff, who started their Championship season with a 1-0 home win over Norwich City last weekend, are still looking to further add to their attacking resources.

Cardiff are next in action on Saturday away to Reading in the Championship.

Cardiff City have signed Everton defender Niels Nkounkou on a season-long loan.

The 21-year-old left-back joins after Jamillu Collins was ruled out for the season with a serious knee injury.

Republic of Ireland Under-21 defender Joel Bagan started at left-back at Bristol City last Sunday, but suffered a head injury in the 2-0 defeat.

Nkounkou is eligible to make his debut when Cardiff host Preston in the Championship on Saturday.

Bagan is out of that game due to head injury protocols.

Nkounkou joined Everton on a free transfer from Marseille in July 2020 on a three-year deal.

He has made two Premier League appearances for the Toffees having also had five cup outings.

Last season Nkounkou was on loan with Belgian club Standard Liege.

Cardiff City have signed Callum Robinson from West Bromwich Albion on a three-year deal for a fee believed to be in the region of £1.5m.

The Republic of Ireland forward, 27, travelled to the Welsh capital on Thursday for a medical to complete the deal.

"I'm buzzing. It's another adventure for me and a challenge I'm looking forward to," said Robinson.

"I can't wait to meet the boys and the staff."

Cardiff manager Steve Morison had been in the market for a striker and Robinson is relishing the prospect of playing for him.

"I spoke with the gaffer and I saw the match against West Brom, and City love playing football," added Robinson.

"I love scoring goals and assisting. It's what I've done most of my career. I'm hoping I can do plenty more of that here and to help this team."

A number of other Championship clubs had also reportedly been trailing the 27-year-old.

Cardiff City have completed the signing of striker Connor Wickham on a deal until the end of the current season.

The former Leeds and Crystal Palace forward left League One side Forest Green Rovers last month after his short-term deal came to an end.

Wickham was signed in time to feature in the Bluebirds' squad for tonight's game at Birmingham as a substitute.

Cardiff are hoping Wickham can bolster an attack that has scored the fewest goals in the Championship this season.

The Bluebirds are currently just outside the Championship relegation zone having scored only 22 goals in 31 games.

Bluebirds boss Sabri Lamouchi, having already signed Sory Kaba on loan from FC Midtjylland, was keen to tie up a deal for the ex-England Under-21 international who joins after a successful trial with the Championship strugglers.

FA Cup: Connor Wickham scores amazing lob from halfway line
Born in Hereford, Wickham has scored more than 60 goals in club football during a career which has been hampered by knee injuries.

In 2011 he joined then Premier League Sunderland for an initial fee of £8.1m. He scored 15 goals in 91 games for the Wearside club before moving on to Palace for £7m in 2015.

He scored nine goals in 20 all-competition games during his five months at Forest Green, including a spectacular effort from the halfway line in an FA Cup tie against non-league South Shields in November.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »