Thread Rating:
Donny arrival
Doncaster Rovers have signed Leicester City defender Ben Nelson and Blackburn Rovers right-back James Brown on loan until the end of the season.

Nelson, 18, spent the first half of the campaign on loan at Rovers' League Two rivals Rochdale, making 12 appearances.

Meanwhile, Brown, 24, featured 22 times during a loan stint at Stockport County which ended earlier this month.

"We've been watching and evaluating both players for a while," head coach Danny Schofield told the club website.

"To get [the deals] over the line by mid-January is very pleasing. They both trained as though they've been here a couple of weeks and they're ready to go."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Doncaster Rovers have signed Scunthorpe forward Caolan Lavery.

The Canada-born Lavery, 30, has signed an 18-month contract. He can play as a centre-forward or on the wing and has scored nine goals in 19 games for Scunthorpe this season.

"I'm happy to finally get it over the line," Lavery told the League Two club's website.

"I've had a nice start to the season and scoring goals is what people want, so hopefully I can do that here."

Doncaster head coach Danny Schofield said: "He's scored nine goals in 19 games this season in a team who is at the bottom of the league. It's positive for him to be able to do that."

Lavery has played at Under-21 level for Northern Ireland.

Doncaster will be his 12th club in a career which has included spells at both Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday.

Doncaster have signed Burton Albion midfielder Charlie Lakin on loan for the remainder of the season.

The 23-year-old has impressed head coach Danny Schofield while training with Rovers this week.

"I can't wait to get going," said Lakin. "My aim is to play as many games as I can and also help the team get into the top seven."

Lakin joined Burton in 2021 from his boyhood club Birmingham and played 36 times for the Brewers.

"It adds competition for places in that area of the pitch - something we were looking to do," Schofield told the club's website. "Charlie will come in and do that."

Lakin could make his debut in the this weekend's away game against Mansfield.

Winger Kyle Hurst has signed a new two-and-a-half-year deal with League Two side Doncaster Rovers.

The 21-year-old joined Rovers from Birmingham City last summer and has since scored seven goals in 36 games.

Hurst, who was born in Milton Keynes and had a stint in the Dons academy before joining Birmingham, made his senior debut earlier this season.

"It's a big achievement for me, my family and the people around me," Hurst told the club website.

"I'm looking forward to just kicking on."

Central defender Joseph Olowu has signed a new two-and-a-half year deal with League Two side Doncaster Rovers.

The Nigeria-born 23-year-old has become a regular since his September 2021 arrival, scoring five goals in 53 games - including one in 15 this season.

Olowu began his career with Arsenal, and also had a short trial spell with Manchester United's under-23s.

"The vision, the planning and where the club is heading is something that is very exciting for me," Olowu said.

"Them backing me as a player and a person, it gives me the confidence to go out in every game and perform and do the best you can for the club."

Doncaster Rovers have signed former Coventry midfielder Zain Westbrooke on a deal until the end of the season.

The 26-year-old arrives as a free agent after leaving League One side Bristol Rovers in January.

Boss Danny Schofield has signed Westbrooke as cover after injuries to Harrison Biggins and Charlie Lakin.

Westbrooke said: "When I got the call, it was something I couldn't turn down. I came to earn the contract and thankfully I've been able to do that."

He came through the ranks of Brentford's academy before a move to Coventry, where he made 33 appearances, scoring four goals, as the Sky Blues won the League One title in the truncated 2019-20 season.

Westbrooke played 49 games for Bristol Rovers following a move in the summer of 2020 but fell out of favour with manager Joey Barton and had a loan spell at Stevenage in 2021-22 before his contract was terminated by mutual consent.

Head coach Schofield said: "We have suffered injuries to two key players who will both miss the rest of the season, so we were short of cover in that area of the pitch.

"Zain has trained with a few clubs recently so his fitness levels are good. We've brought in a player with a good amount of experience at League One level and it's an opportunity for him to come in and impact our squad."

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »