Thread Rating:
Newbies
Derby County have loaned striker Jack Stretton to League Two side Carlisle United on a season-long deal.

The 20-year-old played 12 games last season, taking his tally to 16 first-team appearances, and was on the bench for Saturday's League One opener.

Stretton, who has also spent time on loan at Stockport, came through the Rams academy system.

"He's another who has real potential and Derby are looking for him to take the next step," boss Paul Simpson said.

"He was on the bench for their first-team last week, for their opening game, but they've brought another forward in which has allowed this to happen."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Carlisle United have signed Bristol City centre-back Duncan Idehen on loan until January.

The former Grimsby player, 20, joined the Robins in January 2022 and made two Championship appearances last season.

Idehen could make his debut for the Cumbrians in Saturday's League Two trip to Stevenage.

"He's a good size, loves defending, has a bit of pace about him and he's confident on the ball," boss Paul Simpson told the club website.

Carlisle United have signed defender Jack Robinson on loan from Championship side Middlesbrough until the end of the 2022-23 season.

The 21-year-old came through Boro's academy and has so far made two first-team appearances for the club.

"He's a player we've been looking at over the past month or two because we wanted to get cover in on that left side," boss Paul Simpson said.

"He can cover for us at wing back and centre back on that side of the pitch."

Carlisle United have signed Leeds United midfielder Alfie McCalmont on loan until the end of the season.

The 22-year-old, who has made two appearances for the Whites, spent last season on loan with League One side Morecambe.

The Northern Ireland Under-21 international could make his Cumbrians debut against Newport on Saturday.

"He's a quality footballer who will add good competition to the group," boss Paul Simpson told the club website.

Carlisle United have signed Crystal Palace striker John-Kymani Gordon on loan until the end of the season.

The 19-year-old is yet to make his competitive debut for the Eagles but was an unused substitute in three of their past four games.

He could feature for the Cumbrians against Newport on Saturday.

Boss Paul Simpson told the club website: "He's slightly different to what we've got, he brings individuality and an ability to go past players."

Carlisle United have signed striker Joe Garner from League One side Fleetwood Town on a deal until the end of the 2023-24 season.

The 34-year-old previously played for Carlisle during a loan spell from Blackburn Rovers in January 2007.

He joined the Cumbrians for a club record fee of £140,000 that year, scoring 14 goals in 31 appearances before moving to Nottingham Forest.

"He's a great addition to the squad," boss Paul Simpson said.

"I think he'll be a really good person and character to have in the dressing room because he drives standards on and off the grass.

"I'm sure our supporters will be delighted to see him back."

Garner also had a loan spell with Carlisle in the 2012-13 season, scoring eight times in 18 matches.

Striker Joe Garner believes Carlisle United have the potential to be challenging at the top end of League One, and wants to help them return.

Garner, 34, is now in his fourth spell with the Cumbrians, having previously enjoyed two loan stints and a permanent stay during his 539-game career.

He was part of a side that reached the third-tier play-offs in 2007-08.

"We should have gone up to the Championship [that season]," Garner told BBC Radio Cumbria.

"We had the squad to do it but had a few injuries. We were unfortunate not to go up that year and ended up losing in the play-offs.

"I left the club at the top end of League One, in and around the top six, and that's where I think the club should be and I'll be doing all I can to help the lads in there get back to that."

Boss Paul Simpson and head of recruitment Greg Abbott were major factors in influencing the decision to head back to Cumbria.

Abbott was assistant to John Ward when the 2007-08 cohort were in their pomp, and Garner has seen similarities between that era and the current group.

"That team I came into first time round was a special side, we all still speak to each other now," Garner added.

"To say there was some characters in it, we were a really strong team and it was a tough place to come.

"I think it is like that now. No-one likes coming here. It's a really tough place to come and get points, especially when the fans come out.

"They make the place a fortress which is what it needs to be between now and the end of the season."

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »