Thread Rating:
new deals
Oxford United striker Sam Baldock has signed a new two-year contract.

The 33-year-old moved to the League One side on a short-term deal in February after leaving Derby County and scored four goals in seven appearances.

The former Reading, Brighton, Bristol City and West Ham striker grew up as an Oxford United supporter.

"I walked through the door back in February and it felt like the right place straight away," Baldock told the club website.

"The badge has always had a special place in mine and my family's hearts ever since it was the first club we watched live at the Manor."

Baldock has not played since injuring his knee after scoring twice in a 4-1 win over Burton Albion on 5 March.

But U's manager Karl Robinson said Baldock's experience and personality were major reasons why he offered him a fresh contract.

"He's not just a really good player, Sam is also a tremendous character, a winner and a leader," he said.

"He fits in so well with what we are building here and clearly understands what it means to pull on the yellow shirt.

"After three years of going close, this year is all about mentality and there are certain non-negotiables. Some players will leave as a result but Sam will certainly fit in with it straight away.

"The fans took to him immediately and I am sure they will be just as excited to see him sign as we are."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Captain Elliott Moore and James Henry have extended their contracts to play at Oxford United next season.

Former Wolves and Millwall midfielder Henry has scored 54 goals in 181 starts, while centre-back Moore has captained the side in the absence of John Mousinho.

The club have exercised a one-year extension on both players' deals.

Karl Robinson's Oxford finished the season in eighth place in League One, seven points below a play-off place.

"I think we all feel we have unfinished business after going so close to promotion for the last three years now and I want to be part of a successful season in which we hopefully go one better," Henry, 32, told the club's website.

Moore, 25, joined the club from Leicester in 2019 and has been a mainstay in the side.

"I've loved my time at the club and am more than happy to be part of what we are building here," he said.

The club has offered new deals to Billy Bodin and Alex Gorrin, as well as a short-term deal to striker Slavi Spasov.

Oxford United captain Elliott Moore has signed a new three-year deal with the League One club.

Moore, 25, joined the U's in 2019 from Leicester City, having began his career with the Foxes.

The defender has been a regular fixture for Karl Robinson's side, making 123 appearances for the club over the past three campaigns.

Oxford activated a one-year extension in Moore's existing contract to keep him at the club for next season.

"I am more than happy here and have felt at home since the very first day I stepped through the door," he said.

"We have gone so close to winning promotion over the last few years and we are determined to be up there and get the job done this time around.

"It's good to get it sorted and now I'm looking forward to coming back for pre-season."

Oxford United midfielder Alex Rodriguez-Gorrin has signed a new one-year deal with the League One club.

The 28-year-old joined from Motherwell in 2019 and has gone on to make 101 appearances, but missed the second half of last term with a knee injury.

"I have been working hard and will hopefully get a good pre-season and play a full part in what we hope will be a successful season," he said.

"I love being at Oxford - the players and staff are a very tight group."

Billy Bodin has signed a new two-year contract with Oxford United.

The 30-year-old former Preston, Bristol Rovers and Torquay United forward, scored eight goals in 25 games for Karl Robinson's side last season.

Capped once by Wales, Bodin - the son for former Wales player Paul - was out of contract this summer.

"We pushed really hard for promotion and just fell short at the end last season, so I want to play my part in doing better this time," Bodin said.

Manager Karl Robinson told the club website: "The fans could see really quickly what a talented player Billy is.

"Off the field he slotted straight in and is a fantastic pro who bought into the culture of the club very quickly.

"It's not just his goals, it's the way he creates things for others around him too.

"He had other options but I am delighted that he sees his future here and wants to be part of where we aim to take this club over the next couple of years."

Oxford United have re-signed former Cardiff City defender Ciaron Brown on a two-year deal following a loan spell with the League One club last season.

The 24-year-old made 13 appearances for the U's after joining for the second half of last season.

Brown began his career with the Bluebirds, making 19 appearances before being released by the club this summer.

"It doesn't feel like I'm signing, it's like reporting for pre-season as I felt part of the club right away," he said.

Oxford United have signed defender Stuart Findlay from MLS side Philadelphia Union for an undisclosed fee on a four-year contract.

The 26-year-old has spent the past 18 months playing in the United States and had made four appearances for the club this year.

"This is the perfect move," Findlay told BBC Radio Oxford.

"I had a couple of games last week, I'm match fit, hopefully I can get straight into it and pick up where I left off."

Findlay, who came through Celtic's youth system, was signed by Premier League side Newcastle United in 2016 but only appeared in one FA Cup match before being released by the club.

The Scot has spent most of his career playing for Kilmarnock, where he appeared in 125 league games and scored seven goals during three separate spells with the club.

The centre-back earned an international cap for Scotland in 2019, scoring in the 6-0 victory over San Marino at Hampden Park.

"My main goal is to be successful for Oxford and put in good performances every week for this club," Findlay added.

"I like to win. I'm not here to play well and not win. When I'm on the pitch, training or a game, all I'm focused on is football."

Oxford travel to Derby County for their opening League One match on Saturday, 30 July.

'It's the first new face'
Analysis - BBC Radio Oxford sports editor and Oxford United commentator Jerome Sale

The management, definitely the fans, and maybe even the existing squad have been waiting all summer for this.

It's the first new face brought in and while there's a lot to be said for retention, recruitment for a team that narrowly missed out on the play-offs and has seen several significant exits - is important too.

It's just the start, but Findlay - who plays in a position of need - is a good way to get the ball rolling.

Oxford United have signed goalkeeper Edward McGinty from the League of Ireland's Premier Division side Sligo Rovers for an undisclosed fee.

The 22-year-old Republic of Ireland youth international joins on a three-year deal with a year's option.

"He has so much potential," manager Karl Robinson told the club website.

"He is already a very good goalkeeper and has a terrific attitude. We are excited that he wants to come here and be part of what we are building."

The 6ft3 (192cm) shot-stopper played youth football for Celtic and Hibernian before moving to Ireland and joining Sligo Rovers under-19 squad in 2016.

McGinty, who was born in Scotland, moved-up through the ranks at Sligo and started 19 games in Ireland's top flight this season.

He was Sligo's hero last week after saving two penalties in their Europa Conference League shoot-out win over Bala Town.

"I'm buzzing - the set-up here looks incredible," McGinty told BBC Radio Oxford.

"It was hectic and emotional leaving Sligo but I'm happy to be here and I'm already settling in."

Oxford United have signed former Wigan Athletic winger Yanic Wildschut on a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The 30-year-old spent last season playing for CSKA Sofia in Bulgaria's First League where he made 28 appearances.

"He is very quick and also very powerful," manager Karl Robinson told the club website.

"He is one of those players who excites fans when he gets the ball - we moved quickly to bring him in."

The Suriname international came through the famous Ajax academy in the Netherlands before signing his first professional contract with Zwolle in 2010.

He joined Championship side Middlesbrough in 2014 before further spells with Wigan, Norwich City, Cardiff City and Bolton Wanderers.

Oxford travel to Derby County for their opening League One match of the new season on Saturday, 30 July.

Oxford United midfielder Cameron Brannagan has signed a new three-year contract with the League One club.

The 26-year-old, who had been the subject of interest from Blackpool, made 41 league appearances for the club last season and scored 14 goals.

"It's the best news we could have on the eve of the season," manager Karl Robinson told the club website.

"He has been outstanding for us. We want to keep our best players and build a team around the likes of Cameron."

Blackpool made a offer which triggered a clause in Brannagan's contract allowing him to speak to the Championship side.

But Brannagan said he was happy to stay at the Kassam Stadium.

"I was flattered to be approached," Brannagan said. "But all I kept thinking about was what we are building at Oxford and how much I owe the club and the fans.

"I want to play in the Championship but I believe I can do that here."

Brannagan was part of Liverpool's youth set-up and was sent out on loan to Fleetwood Town in 2017 before arriving at Oxford in 2018.

Oxford get their new League One campaign under way at Derby County on Saturday.

Oxford United have signed former Coventry City winger Jodi Jones on a one-year deal.

The 24-year-old was released by the Sky Blues at the end of last season having joined the club in July 2016.

Jones made 96 appearances for the club during his six years and scored eight goals, however, injuries meant he has been limited to only 24 matches from the start of the 2018-2019 season.

Last season he played nine times in the Championship but never started a match.

Jones began his career with Dagenham & Redbridge's academy and made his first-team debut in 2015.

The contract with the U's includes the option of a further year and comes after Jones completed a successful pre-season training camp with the team.

"He has been so unlucky with injuries in his career. There were certainly a lot of clubs looking at him because he is a very exciting player and they could see the potential," said Oxford manager Karl Robinson.

Jones added: "I've really enjoyed pre-season. It has been hard work but that is what I needed, to test myself and to get myself fit again.

"I feel good, I feel strong and I want to thank everyone here for helping me settle in and for giving me this chance to show what I can do."

Oxford United midfielder James Henry has signed a new two-year contract.

The 33-year-old, who first joined the U's from Wolverhampton Wanderers in the summer of 2017, has scored 54 goals in 214 games for the League One club.

He missed much of the second half of last season after suffering a calf injury, and then a broken nose.

"He is an outstanding player and an outstanding human being," Oxford manager Karl Robinson told the club website.

"He has done so much for this club and been one of the most influential players ever since I first came here.

"He is still very fit, still makes a massive contribution in every game and it's great to have him here and to see him commit his future to the club."

Meanwhile, U's forward Gatlin O'Donkor has signed an initial two-year professional deal with the club.

The 17-year-old was named on the bench for the first time as Oxford were beaten at Derby on Saturday.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »