Thread Rating:
Breaking news - Jack Ross gone! Who comes in to manage Hibs?
Anybody surprised although I think a number of Hibs players really have to "look in the mirror" after last night's awful result, esp the nature of it!! Looks like prompt action taken by Ron Gordon after last night's unacceptable result (one of many!!) in Livingston. So who comes in? It appears that Alex Neil is a favourite for some reason. Note he left Preston NE a while ago and currently "out of work". Apparently some kinda Hibs association, when he was at Norwich City, renders him as one of the main contenders. I personally think Jim Goodwin could be "in with a shout". Maybe too early for him? Then there is my "long shot" of Neil Lennon returning. There are other contenders (Yogi, Derek McInnes, Calum Davidson), but that looks like the main ones so far - a case of watch this space.
Well I got that totally wrong! With xmas just round the corner and a Cup Final I thought they may give him till after the Derby in January.

So, who do we get?

Personally, looking locally, I like Jim Goodwin but lets wait and see what pans out. Whoever it is will have to hit the ground running with such a busy schedule into the New Year.

Managers and players come and go but the club is permanent.

'mon the HibeesĀ  Thumb up

GGTTH
0762 likes this post
"FOREVER UNITED"
I feel a bit sorry for Jack, i think there was a fair bit of mitigating circumstances with the transfer windows but he didn't do himself any favours with his predictable, lightweight football and sticking by players that constantly let him down. Going by what one or two of the players have said i don't think they respected him enough, and it looked like some of them have been trying to get red cards of late.

1 win in 9 is heading us to the relegation zone rather than the top 6. So can understand the reasoning.

I'd imagine we will go for a manager that is available straight away, so likely Alex Neil.....Or Mcinnes.

Or we go into the final with Lennon leading us out Laugh
0762 and ritchiebaby like this post
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/cl...-jack-ross
David Gray and Eddie May are in interim charge of the team. Ironically Eddie's previous 100% successful stewardship, in the absence of a full-time Hibs manager, involved an away match v Saint Mirren - hopefully a good omen leading in to this upcoming match.
Strong rumours down Leith that the choice of new Hibs manager has already been decided and sounds like Ross may have been "oot the door" before the Livy match started. Looks like the new appointment will be announced by HFC before the Saint Mirren match. I just hope it's the right call, a wise one, from Ron Gordon and his influencers within the club.
I think Alex Neil would be a good choice. Having relegated us to the Championship with Hamilton, he owes us big time. If he's looking for a challenge, it's definitely us.
Cabbage is still good for you
When a team has such a long spell of bad results it's normal for the manger to go but I think in this case the timing is wrong.
I think Ross might have had until after the game against Hearts but ir we kept playing like this we could easily have another two heavy defeats on our hands.
Ross is not wholely to blame, somebody told that shower parading in Hibs shirts that they were football players and they believed him.
Looking at the last half dozen games it looked like the team had "downed tools" but time will tell, the next match could give us the answer to that.The next manager is going to have a hell of a job trying to get us back to the form we were showing in the first part of the season
Ultimately the goal stat numbers went against him. When one looks closely at the historical figure for Hibs expected goals (xG) per 90 it transpires that Hibs are the third best creative side in the Scot Prem. The big problem is that certain forwards were not ruthless enough in front of goal and Hibs conversion rate plummeted to the point where there was an alarming figure compared with Hibs stats under Ross from the start of his tenure - more clinical in front of goal! I think Doidgy's injury was more significant than many people realised at the time. He did score goals albeit not perfect as a striker. He was also a workhorse and put in a "good shift" up front before that awful achilles injury which appeared "out of the blue". And he was an effective "foil" alongside Nisbet who I don't regard as a natural pen box striker. So there was a great dependency on Boyly to score goals as nobody else really contributing regularly. During Ross's early period at Hibs, they were making fewer and lower quality scoring opps. Yet they scored more goals. Their goalscoring rate was inherently unstable, and regression was a statistical probability. Last season, the trend was reversed: Hibs xG rose to 1,55 (previously 1.44) while their goals scored per 90 dropped to 1.26. Essentially, they were creating higher-quality chances, but putting fewer away. Exacerbated once again this season - both Hibs goals and xG per 90 have dropped compared to last season. Yet there is still a "yawning chasm" between the chances Hibs are creating and the ones they're taking. Their xG says they should be scoring 1.38 times per game; they are only managing 1.13 times per game. Definitely a lack of "killer instinct" that has proved to be Hibs undoing. They are the 3rd most creative team in the Scot Prem and yet currently seventh in the scoring charts. My main point is that this profligacy in attack wasn't a short-term blip; it was an observable trend for over a year (remember some of our previous criticisms last season when we should've blown away AFC's challenge for 3rd place, but Hibs stumbled along until eventually pulling away - not that impressive!!) and it's finally cost Ross his job!
It's not going to be Neil or Mcinnes apparently.
Talk now in the media is that Shaun Maloney will be announced new Hibs manager in the coming days.

As we know he was a good player, and it seems he has had a fair bit of experience behind the scenes at celtic with their development team and with Belgium where he assisted Roberto Martinez with the national team.

Certainly a risky one if true, but could be a breath of fresh air.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »