Thread Rating:
Scotland v Denmark - the final group match and an important one!
Monday night's Hampden confrontation fast approaching and unbeaten Denmark not playing for very much (group deservedly won!) while Scotland really could do with picking up a point to get that cherished home tie in the eventual play-off. We are hitting decent form at the right time. However, I think the result will depend on what the Danish manager wants to "throw" at us. Will he rest many of his players or still push for finishing off this group in style and all group matches won? I notice Nathan Paterson is suspended for this match. Therefore O'Donnell will be the likely alternative at RB. Christie and Dykes return to the fold, McTominay poss returning too. I think this match could well end up being a nail-biter, but lets "go for it" all the same and try to grab that play-off advantage in front of a full house Hampden Park. C'mon Scotland!
I note we could potentially get a biggy like France or Spain !!

More likely we are looking at Ukraine,Romania,North Macedonia,Norway or the Czechs again...... Like you say a point could make all the difference to get a home tie. Its a big ask though, i reckon denmark will want to put on a good show.
Note Portugal also pipped for the top spot by Serbia in a last mins winning sensation in Portugal tonight. My play-off preference would be N Macedonia.
Fantastic performance and result tonight. Everyone played their part in a 2-0 win over Denmark but special mention has to go to the midfield trio of Gilmour, Mcginn and Mcgregor who were all absolutely outstanding.

Scotland seeded in the playoffs and we will have a home advantage in the first one off tie .
0762 and ritchiebaby like this post
Yep! Scotland "wanted the win" tonight and certainly well up for it. And the atmosphere at Hampden really good tonight. Collectively terrific with and without the ball. Lotsa candidates for the MOTM award and hard to call. I'd opt for Gilmour who has added another dimension to this Scotland team since his arrival with McGinn not far behind. It must still be noted that Denmark were without a lotta their best players tonight, but Scotland still impressed with attitude, commitment and performance. There is still a couple of tough hurdles to come all the same, but we are "in a good place" and history attained with 6 x consecutive victories and looking good. Well done!! Thumb up
And importantly we didn't pick up any bookings.
Cabbage is still good for you
Re the yellow card issue, I agree wholeheartedly with Clarke that this rule, leading in to a play-off situation, is an absolute joke and should be reviewed and amended to a "clean slate" stage of the WC quali process.
Really pleased for John Souttar as well, a player that has been through the wringer so to speak.

Thought the team played like they had a 'free hit' last night and just went for it. We played some great football too, would like to see us play a bit more like that instead of constantly lumping it up to Dykes.
ritchiebaby likes this post
Also Adams goal last night really was a top class strike to finish the game as a contest. One can see the difference in attacking style when he was "doing the biz" up front instead of Dykes. It's a pity he scorns a lota very good scoring opps as that is the one part of this Scotland side that is still weak and not clinical enough. Filling that position with a top class pen box striker, a "sniffer", would provide the "icing on the cake" to a team that would be feared by top opponents. At least we've "laid down a marker" to any potential play-off challenger that we are playing well and will be difficult opponents to beat.
Adams isn't an out and out striker, he needs too much space and that extra touch in front of goal. However i think he leads the line quite well and is the proverbial "handful" for defenders.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »