Thread Rating:
Hibs v Celtic, Wed 27 October, KO 7.45pm
Just back after a horrific night of rainy weather and must say I actually enjoyed watching this match even though my irritation re Jack Ross finally exploded after about 15 -20 mins along with a lotta other irate Hibs fans in the West Stand who, like myself, knew he'd chosen the wrong line-up AGAIN, and was getting pelters to "change it"!!! Celtic deserved winners btw and Rogic was immense tonight. JR's option to play Gogic an absolute failure esp playing v a hi press Hoops' formation playing 1-touch and 2-touch footie for fun. I thought this game would've been ideal to start somebody like Scotty Allan, but looks like he was a non-starter. IMO as suggested my #4 thread, we needed to "battle" the midfield area - didn't do that, started slow, stood back and admired Celtic's silky forward movements and miserably kept giving the ball back to them. Gogic heavily involved in conceding the needless FK (he's done this before early on in the season!!) that resulted in losing the 1st goal. I must say Hibs man marking was utterly dismal and Hibs IMO lucky not to go in at HT after a 0-4 or 0-5 mauling!! Then a "miracle of miracles" - Porteous scoring that goal from a corner, Celtic found out again from a "set piece". Then another miracle - JR makes a change at HT (and not on 60 mins or later!!) - Gogic replaced - SHOULD'VE BEEN DONE AFTER 15 MINS IMO PLUS CHANGE THE MID TACTICS TO "BATTLE" THE CENTRE OF THE PITCH. But Ross doesn't do that proactive manager's stuff!! Anyway, the second half was interesting in the fact Celtic had lost their "playmaker", Rogic, to 1st half injury and noticeable they were still pressing for more goals, but not with the same hi-press style and threat with Rogic "at the helm". Hibs played their way back into this game and I enjoyed it very much. Boyly tried hard, Nisbet was "mince" (Gullan did more work in his 1st five "sub" mins than Nisbet did up to his substitution!), Porty and Hanlon did well in the 2nd half (btw some awful marking in the 1st half!), Doig pressed reasonably well and McGinn put in his usual shift to try and suppress Celtic's push on their left wing. Macey very good as well, saved us a couple times in the 1st half. Hayes combined fairly well in midfield and never gave up and young Campbell put in a decent shift off the subs' bench. Murphy also had a decent 2nd half although I reckon he could've scored a couple of goals - never fails to make the wrong decision at the wrong time in a pen box and no surprise he scores too few goals. Anyway Celtic well worth their win and clearly well in to the Scot Prem title race again as expected. Additionally, I noticed Paul Hanlon definitely "feeling" his hamstring in the last 12 mins and I fear he won't make the next fixture, which means another forced change defensively. I hope it is just a "tweak", but it looks like more than that, something we can really do without.

GGTTH
Rogic is a funny player, he was unplayable last night and gogic was going to end up red carded, but often he can be invisible. Celtic were as good as i've seen them play for some time.

Ross gave a rabbit in the headlights interview afterwards. We are an absolutely leaderless on and off the park, our level of organisation at times last night was atrocious. The players looked completely lost first half.
Ross saying we should direct our anger at him............oh, but we are Jack! Whistle
"FOREVER UNITED"
Thats dundee utd, aberdeen and celtic all had their best halves of football against us mysteriously.
(28-10-2021, 11:55)newhavenhibby Wrote: Ross saying we should direct our anger at him............oh, but we are Jack! Whistle

He must have been wearing ear plugs because he was pelted with criticism from lotsa Hibs fans (right after the Hoops' second goal) in the West Stand who were seated behind him and all the way up to the exec stand. What is so annoying to lots of us is the fact he stands there and observes, but does nothing to change it. No gesticulation to reorganise and start "marking up" properly. I was doing more of that stuff from the exec stand than he was - it is fundamental stuff, not rocket science either!!! The lack of organisation was jaw dropping even though Celtic did play some vg footie in the 1st half. But a group of players can still be coached to "do the basics" - marking up man for man and training to deal with fast one-touch and two-touch footie. I wonder what Hibs do on the training pitch after watching a first half like this one. And certain Hibs players' antics (re offside) after Celtic's third goal was IMO an absolute joke - PLAY TO THE REF'S WHISTLE AT ALL TIMES FFS!! Porteous showed real immaturity in that situation rather than concentrating on the game while Hanlon should've "stepped out" to call offside - the goal would've been offside if he'd done that - looked like no comms between CBs to "step out". Shit organisation as described in a previous thread.
(28-10-2021, 13:46)0762 Wrote:
(28-10-2021, 11:55)newhavenhibby Wrote: Ross saying we should direct our anger at him............oh, but we are Jack! Whistle

He must have been wearing ear plugs because he was pelted with criticism from lotsa Hibs fans (right after the Hoops' second goal) in the West Stand who were seated behind him and all the way up to the exec stand. What is so annoying to lots of us is the fact he stands there and observes, but does nothing to change it. No gesticulation to reorganise and start "marking up" properly. I was doing more of that stuff from the exec stand than he was - it is fundamental stuff, not rocket science either!!! The lack of organisation was jaw dropping even though Celtic did play some vg footie in the 1st half. But a group of players can still be coached to "do the basics" - marking up man for man and training to deal with fast one-touch and two-touch footie. I wonder what Hibs do on the training pitch after watching a first half like this one. And certain Hibs players' antics (re offside) after Celtic's third goal was IMO an absolute joke - PLAY TO THE REF'S WHISTLE AT ALL TIMES FFS!! Porteous showed real immaturity in that situation rather than concentrating on the game while Hanlon should've "stepped out" to call offside - the goal would've been offside if he'd done that - looked like no comms between CBs to "step out". Shit organisation as described in a previous thread.

He really has to get a grip over the next few games or we could go into freefall.
Its all getting a bit butcher-esque.
Absolutely! The Dons are now 3 pts behind Hibs and its all down to him and his choices after the controversy at Ibronx and an international break that gave most of the players a welcome rest. Therefore no excuses on this subject whatsoever!! This is ultimately a test of his management acumen and he has failed miserably. I hope Ron Gordon is watching this situation very closely as it certainly appears that this manager has moved from a "very good place", team playing some of the best footie in Scotland, to the brink of a "freefall" situation in the space of a few weeks. Four consecutive defeats - never endured by Hibs for wellover 20 years!! Don't forget we haven't hit the "winter season" yet - "sorting out the wheat from the chaff" so to speak! Again no excuses re adverse weather conditions although there is a relevant one re unwelcome injuries to key players.
Aberdeen have been absolutely rotten this season, but by god we could use a figure like Scott Brown at the moment.
HerefordBull likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »