Thread Rating:
The Ashes 2021-22 - England in Australia
Because I was a goalkeeper at football I got pushed to keep wicket whenever there was a crisis. I did two or three whole seasons of it. I wasn't the real deal because at 6'3", although quick on my feet, standing up to spin bowling and hoping for stumpings showed up my weakness. Reading the spin was enough of a job without having to unwind myself to take the ball cleanly. BUT standing up to medium pacers or back to quicks, byes were close to being a never incident and dropped catches just weren't on the agenda. If I could reach it I would catch it. I can't have been a unique genius, because I played with another much the same who also kept goal for Chesterfield.

If I'd put down the catches in local League cricket that Buttler dropped for England I'd have been almost suicidal. He hadn't moved his feet properly, he didn't have his gloves right and his eyes weren't right either. They were lazy drops, which really means he wasn't concentrating. That means that although he has some talent and occasionally catches a good one, he isn't up to the job, like both Bracey and Bairstow. There must be wicketkeepers out there who just can do it, guys who love being involved on every ball, like gathering wayward throws, love a good dive down the legside and realise quick feet and an alert mind matter as much as safe hands. The nearest I've seen in recent years is Foakes. His batting is good enough for a place keeping wicket too. Buttler and Bairstow should be in the team anyway as batsmen who can field.

In local League cricket you are unlucky if a dropped catch costs your team more than twenty or thirty runs, but up at test level the cost can be hundreds of runs, matches swing on them. Buttler, who is a wonderful cricketer, demoralised himself and his entire team. Set him free to bat number six and frighten the opposition.

And as for Wood, I hardly know what to say. He was the one bowler who made the Australians struggle in the First Test, so instead of giving him a leading role next time, we rest him after a game in which he only bowled about 25 overs. Back in the days of Trueman and Statham when players did little specific fitness training they were both happy to bowl more than that any single day of the week. I know Wood is very fast and gives everything to be that quick, but unless we are able to use a bowler to help us win matches and series, he is no use to us.

We have too many unreliable and quirky batsmen, our quick bowling has seen better and fitter days, we have no slow bowling or medium pacers, our fielding is moderate at best and we need a wicketkeeper. I wonder why the Aussies are on top?

Much as I like Jjamez post the factor that ought to be taken into account when anyone is near the top of County averages is that the best bowlers have largely been seconded to Test cricket and only reappear for lucrative white ball one-day games. So Burns can stick out his arse like Billy Bunter obeying Mr Quelch and get away with it. The more he succeeds the more he thinks he has discovered a technique. I'm sure he has talent because to bat from a corkscrew position you need it, but if he was batting against a fit Jimmy Anderson twice a season and a fit Stuart Broad twice a season and a fit Olly Robinson twice, and a fit Wood only once that would be seven games where he wouldn't get past thirty.

When young players show batting talent in one dayers we have to get them up the order and leave them there in County matches. Let them hone an all-round technique. If they can pocket thousands being hit-or-miss white-ball bashers that's obviously what they'll remain, but it takes genuine cricketing talent to become that white-ball basher. Develop it!
themaclad and Lord Snooty like this post
Foakes is the best wicketkeeper in the country but won't get a proper gig with the test side because he's not a stellar name like buttler, the selectors would probably rather go back to bairstow and keep going back and forth. I'm sure the commentators said the other day that buttler as a test player has been dropped from the side 10 times. 10. By now you'd like to think that the selectors know whether he's able to do the job? When was the last time he actually played a proper county game? I said in a previous post that silverwood has said he'd rather give someone one game too many than too few. Buttler has had at least 5 lives too many if the being dropped 10 times is true.

As for wood I do understand him being rested, he's injury prone unlike the names you mentioned, although they probably bowled through it, medical teams have a huge say now with everything. I mentioned I'd have selected a rather different squad and two names that I would have had in the test or lion squad would have been Mahmood and George Garton who both offer pace. For me Mahmood would play the games wood doesn't so there's a bit of extra pace. Garton would have offered a left arm option too. Vince, Dawson and Matt Parkinson would have been other names in my squad but hey oh. Going back to the picking someone too many times, Vince has had a number of goes but still not as many times as the likes of bairstow and buttler.

There's a lot of favouritism in the sport and it makes some good players fall by the wayside
Lord Snooty and Devongone like this post
Another day, another door, another high, another low
Did read Olly Stone thinking about retiring from Test Cricket he is 28, olden days some bowled close to 2000 oversplayed week in and week out rarely injured, these days so much training and they are always knackered, resting players worked a treat in India last year but what do you expect back to back tests lunacy
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Yeah I read about stone thinking of retiring and tbf he's had some serious back injuries, as has tymal mills, Simon Jones and Freddie are others that had loads of injuries but to their knees, which is common place in pace bowlers.

There may be a lot of players of yesteryear who suffered injuries but because there wasn't as much coverage they aren't remembered as well as the likes of trueman et al. Pace bowlers back then may have been helped by the fact that the wickets were uncovers and probably softer, some of these now are roads, so perhaps there is more force going through joints, I'm not sure, it's a possibility. Or it could be that some are just more unlucky with injuries than others.
Another day, another door, another high, another low
Suspect not going to end well

(18-12-2021, 18:40)themaclad Wrote: Suspect not going to end well

Amazing how this statement manages to cover the match, the series *and* Root's captaincy all in one.
themaclad likes this post
Given Australia has been basically a no go zone for the last 22 they now have a reported 4300 Omricrom variant wonder if the series will finish?

4300 new variant cases in Australia

Might as well send everyone home now. We ain't got a chance of winning the Ashes.
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Apparently Root got hit in the plums and one of them was how we say dislodged !!!!!!!

Wasn’t Root it is an Aussie

It was Root and he’s just got another one in the same place

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »