Thread Rating:
Scotland v Moldova - already a "must win" World Cup quali tie!
Well Saturday's match at Hampden should see Scotland "leaping out the traps" to carry on with their more positive form in the 2nd half v Denmark. John McGinn and O'Donnell "returning to the fold". Hopefully McGinn's mid presence will make a difference v a team that previously lost 0-2 to Austria. Unbeaten Denmark deservedly 7 pts ahead of Scotland in this WC group. Therefore all we can do is try to chase for the playoff 2nd place. Note we've hardly won a match in the last nine fixtures!!! We need to start winning again. If an unforeseen defeat unfolds tomorrow, I think that will be another "hammer blow" to the reputation of Scottish footie. Lets pray that won't happen. Also a draw will be just as damaging.
Anything less than a convincing win with a few goals in hand will be embarrassing and, just as likely, a boost to our close rivals. It's make or break time.
Cabbage is still good for you
Call it a "must win" match eh! Haven't we seen that scenario before - v Croatia. Plus in previous Euro/Nations groups! It seems to attach itself to Scotland like glue!! Rolleyes All because we don't win enough competitive games consistently. Even our decisive Euro quali match was decided on a thankful goalie performance that was successful in a pk shootout.
If that had been playing in a public park you would have walked on.....

Scotland wasteful in front of goal and ending up with only a narrow 1-0 win. The games with Austria and Israel will determine if we are going to make it.
Lack of clinical finishing has let us down in the past and will probably do so again. We were never convincing enough and I can't see us beating Austria as they will need the win on Tuesday as much as we do.
Cabbage is still good for you
A lotta good footie played tonight, lotsa good scoring opps created. But we don't have that prolific pen box striker, that age-old failing. This match result should've been a minimum 4-0 win, couldn't score that comforting second goal though. Thank god Dykes scored the winner after a good move between Paterson and Nisbet. Job done, 3pts "in the bag"! Thumb up Nisbet sent in Gilmour to score that second goal and he should've scored that second goal - DIDN'T, SHOT PAST THE POST!! Thumb down Nisbet too slow to take his vg scoring opp. And that Tierney free header FFS!! Rolleyes How did you miss it!!? A Christie "miss", a Robertson "miss" (Robertson still baffles me when playing in a Scotland shirt!!) a McGinn "miss"!!? Anyway, 3 pts secured and our defence was solid tonight - good to see that "clean sheet". IMO we won't get as many scoring opps in Vienna on Wednesday and other Scot players really need to practise on scoring goals!! Which leads me to ponder, "When is the last time Scotland possessed a pen box striker who regularly scored goals for us"??????? This is actually a decades old problem for Scotland. I'd argue that Dalglish was the last vg top quality striker to represent Scotland although Kevin Gallagher scored a reasonable number of goals in the 1990s, but still not prolific. Note Israel thrashed Austria 5-2 tonight - they look better than the last time we played them, but we play them at Hampden Park, thankfully not in Israel! IMO our full line up is a better team unit than Israel!! They are second in our group because they score goals. We have a chance to deal a "hammer blow" to Austria's quali chances on Tuesday night. However, I don't see that happening due to the frustration of watching Scotland scorning the usual vg goal openings. Lets just hope it all "comes together" on Wed and Scot players, who can definitely score goals, FIND THEIR SCORING BOOTS!!
Beating a team 175th in the world 1-0 is not good enough, crap game, need go beat Austria away from home, no doubt we will be treated to more of Clarkes horrible tactics.
Yup.

Thats 3 wins from 12 since we won in Serbia, and they were against Luxembourg and the Faroes. I'm still behind the manager but he needs to do better in these sort of games.

I thought Nisbet was poor, Patterson did well for the goal but spent much of the game giving the ball away, dykes scored but his movement is so unbelievably clumsy, Robertson an enigma in a Scotland top.

Neil Mccann was raving about the team afterwards on sportscene which made me think I'd been watching a different game entirely.
(04-09-2021, 23:25)0762 Wrote: A lotta good footie played tonight, lotsa good scoring opps created. But we don't have that prolific pen box striker, that age-old failing. This match result should've been a minimum 4-0 win, couldn't score that comforting second goal though. Thank god Dykes scored the winner after a good move between Paterson and  Nisbet. Job done, 3pts "in the bag"! Thumb up Nisbet sent in Gilmour to score that second goal and he should've scored that second goal - DIDN'T, SHOT PAST THE POST!! Thumb down Nisbet too slow to take his vg scoring opp. And that Tierney free header FFS!! Rolleyes How did you miss it!!? A Christie "miss", a Robertson "miss" (Robertson still baffles me when playing in a Scotland shirt!!) a McGinn "miss"!!? Anyway, 3 pts secured and our defence was solid tonight - good to see that "clean sheet". IMO we won't get as many scoring opps in Vienna on Wednesday and other Scot players really need to practise on scoring goals!! Which leads me to ponder, "When is the last time Scotland possessed a pen box striker who regularly scored goals for us"??????? This is actually a decades old problem for Scotland. I'd argue that Dalglish was the last vg top quality striker to represent Scotland although Kevin Gallagher scored a reasonable number of goals in the 1990s, but still not prolific. Note Israel thrashed Austria 5-2 tonight - they look better than the last time we played them, but we play them at Hampden Park, thankfully not in Israel! IMO our full line up is a better team unit than Israel!! They are second in our group because they score goals. We have a chance to deal a "hammer blow" to Austria's quali chances on Tuesday night. However, I don't see that happening due to the frustration of watching Scotland scorning the usual vg goal openings. Lets just hope it all "comes together" on Wed and Scot players, who can definitely score goals, FIND THEIR SCORING BOOTS!!

I actually think if sparky wasn't such a waster he could be the solution to that problem, but he has completely checked out.
Yep Jim. I share the same sentiment. I remember watching him all these years ago when he was playing for Hutchy Vale v Spartans U15s and he sparked a revival for his team, coming on as a sub at 0-3 down and drawing 3-3 with a "hat trick" of goals. I perceived he was something special and regret not "tipping off" Hibs re a possible "rising young footie star ". If he'd been more dedicated to the game, like Lewis Stevenson, I reckon he would've been a renowned prolific CF for Scotland.
hibeejim21 likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »