Thread Rating:
TOKYO OLYMPICS
(26-07-2021, 16:59)Lord Snooty Wrote: Like Matt said though, it's not the same as before. It used to be on both main BBC channels and then press the red button and you could get loads of choices to watch.
Now it's one main BBC channel and one option on the red button. Not checked i-player, but I suspect it's not much else. There's lots of chat and highlights, mainly of what the Brits have done.
As for the pay channels, weren't Sky denied a bid for the Olympics for this specific reason?

Isn’t the Olympics one of the Crown Jewels of Sport or does that not exist anymore? I often wonder if its time for the BBC to stop being publically funded and set themselves up as a global TV network. The revenues they could make are huge in the commercial world, at which point a lot of sports would be back on regular tv in the UK.
Yes. I think we're all pretty much used to the idea of having adverts interrupting our programmes. Every programme made for the BBC is made by an independent production company and they're all made with convenient spaces to put an ad break in.
And in between each programme, they always spend the length of what could be an ad break, advertising their own stuff.

As for the crown jewels, I think that went ages ago.
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
(26-07-2021, 16:59)Lord Snooty Wrote: Like Matt said though, it's not the same as before. It used to be on both main BBC channels and then press the red button and you could get loads of choices to watch.
Now it's one main BBC channel and one option on the red button. Not checked i-player, but I suspect it's not much else. There's lots of chat and highlights, mainly of what the Brits have done.
As for the pay channels, weren't Sky denied a bid for the Olympics for this specific reason?

I remember 2012 and 2016 they had it on BBC 1, BBC 2, BBC 4 (in the day and throughout the night) and you had 2 red button channels as well for the coverage. This time round it just seems to be BBC 1 and the red button.

BBC have lost lots of sport coverage over the years, was trying to work out what they still cover and it seems to be Tennis, Football, (mainly FA Cup and the Euros and World Cup tournaments with a few Women Super League matches) Athletics (Diamond League) Rugby League and Rugby Union (have to share 6 nations with ITV) Snooker, Bowls, the odd England T20 and the new cricket tournament The Hundred and that's about it.

All these people who are on the right and who read the Express and the Mail saying 'Defund The BBC' then complaining about the Olympic coverage, can they not see the connection? Then you get people complaining that not enough people are interested or taking part in a certain sport, well if the sport wasn't on pay for view or subscription channel then people would be able to watch it, get interested and maybe take it up.

You've got ITV 4 which is technically a sports channel as they show Horse racing, darts, snooker, rallying, cycling and then the BBC red button is technically the BBC's sports channel but I've always wondered why don't the BBC create their own separate sports channel? Funding? The BBC prides itself on not having adverts but I think we all know that if the Tories scrap the license fee then they will have to find other alternatives to fund the BBC.
Lord Snooty likes this post
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
More metal for GB overnight.
A gold and silver silver in the same race at the swimming.
And a triathlon silver despite getting a puncture.
(27-07-2021, 08:43)Lord Snooty Wrote: And a triathlon silver despite getting a puncture.

Does make you wonder what sort of athletes we're entering for the triathlon these days.

[Image: 94020-600x800.jpg]
I think they've just said we haven't done 1, 2 in a swim since 1908. So well done Tom Dean and Duncan Scott. Brilliant even if I misheard!
GB into Rugby 7s SF. They were 21 down v USA and came back despite losing the captain to injury.
(27-07-2021, 09:41)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: I think they've just said we haven't done 1, 2 in a swim since 1908. So well done Tom Dean and Duncan Scott. Brilliant even if I misheard!

You heard correctly. Thumb up
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
Apparently there are loads of different sports to watch on the Eurosport red button.
Women sneak in to take team bronze gymnastics

First team medal since 1928!
Lord Snooty likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »