Thread Rating:
Freedom Day
If Starmer had put a more professional spin on what corbyn was offering and tidied things up I would likely have voted for him. But not now.

Another none answer along the lines of "The Tories would have put up more of a fight if Labour had an 80 seat majority and were throwing money around to their mates like blokes with no hands." All while being called unpatriotic and not supporting "The Union", you know, like they do now.
A guide to cask ale.

[Image: aO7W3pZ.png]

Multi-tasking. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.
(20-07-2021, 22:13)theo_luddite Wrote: If Starmer had put a more professional spin on what corbyn was offering and tidied things up I would likely have voted for him. But not now.

Another none answer along the lines of "The Tories would have put up more of a fight if Labour had an 80 seat majority and were throwing money around to their mates like blokes with no hands." All while being called unpatriotic and not supporting "The Union", you know, like they do now.

Not sure what your point is.

Starmer was pitched exactly as I described to the labour membership, the fact that he has gone in the opposite direction is instructive.

So far he has alienated labours voting coalition - that it cant win without - shed 100k members and sacrificed the parties principles to go all out for the gammon vote.

This is not going to end well.
Johnson will have been in office for almost two years. His impact on levelling off people's lives and livelihoods has been on the slender side and negligible. His administration is intellectually bankrupt and will be proved ultimately to have been astonishingly and casually corrupt - one would think he'd eventually be unveiled as a "naked emperor" even to the most shortsighted of voters. And yet Starmer has hardly touched Johnson in the popularity stakes even now! Starmer is "cut from a different cloth". Well read, earnest, not at all devoid of decent instincts. However, I must mention the "Scotland element" in which he has previously intimated a notion that he can rescue Scotland from the actions of a truly immoral Westminster regime - risible albeit for different reasons compared with the independence movement! There was already a mountain of Nevis proportions to climb in winning enough Tory held seats to claw back power. When you have trouble hanging on to your own tribesfolk, that task is virtually impossible. We've seen this movie before up here - the speed with which Labour support haemorrhaged in Scotland was dizzying and the election result of 2015 pretty well jaw dropping for victors as well as vanquished. Also it doesn't help that Scottish Labour too suffers from selective deafness when it comes to the significant opinion of their membership. Their polling ought to tell them that shedloads of their own troops don't care to be told to stay in bed with uncle Boris until uncle Keir can locate a route back to power.
I've never seen any other political party treat its core vote so shabbily. No way would the tories do that.
Mandelson said himself 'they have nowhere else to go' when he pulled labour to the right back in the day, but he got a shock in Scotland and I think he will in England next time out too.
0762 likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »