Thread Rating:
Euros semi - Spain v Italy
This is a curious semi-final between two Latin countries where the winner will be the most likely overall victor of this tourney after all the unforeseen incidents (where was Lady Luck when one needed her eh!) that have arisen and played a big part in taking out some of the top five countries. I'm sure Italy will be the bookies' favs to win it. However, nothing is certain in this particular tourney after observing so many unpredictable incidents and injuries that have clearly affected certain match results. I hope this Italian side "shows up" and confirms again how good a side they are as observed through most of this Euro tourney although there is no doubt Spain will not concede easily. It should be an excellent match tonight with a distinct contrast in styles of footie.
Lots of red cards and short term injuries to keep any players out of the final on Sunday will do for me no matter what the outcome of our semi final tomorrow night.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/euro2021...d=msedgntp

And Italy do indeed win another semi-final 4-2 in a pk decider during one of those absorbing, top quality Euro matches that was not gonna reveal an eventual winner very easily. But Spain deservedly equalising 1-1 inside the 90 mins. The Azzurri rarely lose semis in Euro or World Cup tourneys and have done it again to reach the Euro final! Plus that win adds to a top class record of 33 consecutive matches unbeaten. The equalising goal by Alvaro Morata was the first goal from open play (no pks allowed!) conceded by this Italian defence for well over 50 hours of football.
I must say I'd like to see some changes to future Euro matches after observing some vg footie during this tourney.
I hope UEFA follow the Copa America format - scrap ET and impose a pk decider immediately after the FT whistle in any match that is drawn. IMO this extra period can result in tiredness to players plus the threat of being injured. Also two or three ET periods during the KO stage can be detrimental to a country's chances of challenging for the trophy.
Additionally I'd like to see a rugby union style time clock system that tackles the amount of time-wasting that goes on in matches. Some independent research studies show that the average "in play time" during matches is about 30 mins per half - a lotta in play time lost when one scrutinises match activities more closely. Lastly, I think more can be done to quickly inform a referee re simulation/feigning injury such as being hit in the face. I think these changes would greatly improve the game in these top tournaments.
That was a great match. And I agree about the extra time being scrapped. Nobody wants to see a winner in extra time when there's penalties looming.
Ukraine looked shattered after their extra time shenanigans and it obviously helped England, though we would've won anyway.
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Both those sides looked better footballing sides than England - Spain however have problems finishing and Italy can look a bit slow at the back at times.
However Italy have incredible team spirit and mental strength as well as a really gifted front line.
If Spain get themselves a goalscorer I'd fancy them to go close for the World Cup, they were very good last night.

ITS ITALY V ENGLAND screams the Mirror. Arseholes.
(07-07-2021, 14:19)hibeejim21 Wrote: Both those sides looked better footballing sides than England - Spain however have problems finishing and Italy can look a bit slow at the back at times.
However Italy have incredible team spirit and mental strength as well as a really gifted front line.
If Spain get themselves a goalscorer I'd fancy them to go close for the World Cup, they were very good last night.

ITS ITALY V ENGLAND screams the Mirror. Arseholes.

Seriously, that was the Mirror's headline?? Its not only stupid, it is so disrespectful to both the Danes and the England team and what they have achieved so far!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »