Thread Rating:
Wimbledon 2021
I think it just all became a bit too much for her. She had the free day to think yesterday. As she'd got to the 2nd week, I wouldn't be surprised if all and sundry has been trying to get interviews which would be different to her free time last week. Then she'd had to wait all day. Then it was under the roof. It all adds up to a lot of pressure.

I've had panic attacks. You get pains that you cause yourself through tension. They feel real but it's all about the breathing. If this is the case, I think she will be OK. She's obviously strong and she has the talent. That will win through.

Martina was right in the commentary; she does better in the long rallies. She has a nice serve. Not counting today, she has the fighting spirit. She even tried to go on today even though she was uncomfortable.

Of course, she could just have a tummy bug but I don't think so with the breathing.

Now I hope the media let her get on with her natural progression in the sport.
Lord Snooty likes this post
Yeah, years ago I went through a spell of having anxiety attacks due to stress as well. Really terrifying, especially the first time, when it honestly feels like the onset of a heart attack and you've got nothing else to compare it to, which only adds to the panic. It's quite plausible that was the problem tonight.
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
Yes, indeed, and they can start when you up or you are down. Very hard to deal with if they go on for some time because fight or flight hormones are difficult to squash once they have activated. I had CBT which was ultimately the key to my recovery. Adrenaline can be your friend or your foe!
Annabel Croft and a psychologist were talking to Emma Barnett on Woman's Hour this morning. Here's the podcast of the show. It's somewhere in the 2nd quarter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000xltb
Lord Snooty likes this post
Just reminded us on 5Live that Djokovic used to have breathing difficulties when he first started.
He did alright once he sorted it out.
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Pliskova's up 6-2, 4-1. I've picked her a couple of times to win a major but she's never done it. May be this is her year.

After a battle to hold her serve for 5-2, she battled to break Gilibic's to win set and match.

First one through to the semis.  Thumb up
Kerber is the next one through against Muchova 6-2 6-3, a closer match at times than the score suggests.

Sabalenka also went through against the Tunisian Jabeur. 6-4 6-3.

Also, Medvedev finished his match but went out to the lower seeded Hurkacz.

It's the two aussies out next on centre... Barty v Tomijanovic.
Barty beats Tomljanovic 6-1 6-3.

You know if Emma Radacanu had been the player she was last week, I think she'd have beaten Tomljanovic.

Semis are Pliskova v Sabalenka

Barty v Kerber
John Inverdale has just tried his hand at humour again. Talking about Marton Fucsovics girlfriend being called Anett. Because every tennis player needs a net.  Doh

How long has he been waiting to use that one?  Confused

Must have been to the Gary Lineker school of sporting commentary jokes.
FEDERER OUT!!!!!!
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »