Thread Rating:
L16 - England vs Germany - 29th June
Germany in the last 16 it is. It's going to be a tough match as Germany have got some good strikers and attacking midfielders but there defence isn't that great. This game is going to be THE real test and I think Southgate may as well just go for it, instead of playing defensive football, just go for it and play attacking football and hope we come through it.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Be an interesting game I think - England are maybe slight favourites.
Tonight was difficult for Germany but the conditions weren't great with all that rain and Hungary have proved a handful for everyone. They do look a bit slow at the back though.

That boy Musiala is a right good player for Germany by the way, he's still very young and Low isn't likely to start him but he could be one to watch if he comes off the bench.
(23-06-2021, 23:54)hibeejim21 Wrote: Be an interesting game I think - England are maybe slight favourites.
Tonight was difficult for Germany but the conditions weren't great with all that rain and Hungary have proved a handful for everyone. They do look a bit slow at the back though.

That boy Musiala is a right good player for Germany by the way, he's still very young and Low isn't likely to start him but he could be one to watch if he comes off the bench.

Hungary played 3 good games and were unlucky to not get more points as they did ok against Portugal, Germany and France. I agree Musiala is a very good player and could be a threat if he plays against England. I don't think any team should be classed as favourites for this game as it will be very tight I reckon with maybe a goal just edging it.

We've only ever beaten Germany twice in tournament football and that was 1966 which was West Germany and Euro 2000 in the group stages. England have played Germany 32 times and both England and Germany have won 13 games each with 6 draws. 12 of those 32 games have been played at Wembley with Germany winning 6, England winning 4 and 2 draws.

Get the bingo cards ready.

Bobby Moore. Martin Peters. Geoff Hurst. Gazza's tears. Southgate's miss. Lampards "goal". Rolleyes
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
(24-06-2021, 00:18)Lord Snooty Wrote: Get the bingo cards ready.

Bobby Moore. Martin Peters. Geoff Hurst. Gazza's tears. Southgate's miss. Lampards "goal". Rolleyes

I think that's one of the big problems, we as a nation keep harping on about the past and can't seem to let it go. Yes we won the World Cup in 1966 but we can't keep living off that memory. It's like those people who go on about the war.

There is a footballing rivalry between England and Germany but England's rivals are Scotland and Germany's rivals are the Netherlands.
hibeejim21 and Lord Snooty like this post

The pundits are at it already - delighted with the draw, they saw Germany 'struggling' with Hungary. But I'm not sure how much you can read into the those group games.
Hungary ran them all close, including France. And Germany hammered Portugal who France couldn't beat tonight.

I reckon England will have to improve from what we've seen so far if they are to win this one.
It's going to incredibly close.

Both have the players to hurt teams and both have question marks over the defence.

German guy on the Radio this morning saying if England sit in then the Germans don't know how to break that type of team down, they prefer to play against teams who attack them and catch them on the counter.

The past is the past and that can't change the game, it's what both sets of players do on the day that will decide how this goes.

Another added bonus is the capacity has been raised for this fixture to 45k with the vast majority cheering England on
I see this game as being England's Nemesis suddenly "arriving on the scene" and so early in the tournament as well. England win the occasional friendly match and Germany win the competitive ones - the stats since 1966 don't lie. England have a home game at Wembley. So that gives them a chance. But I can't be the only footie observer who is already watching a lotta players who look like their season is physically and mentally over and that doesn't just apply to England btw - these guys already need to "chill" on some exotic beaches well away from the demands of a Euro tourney and a previous long footie season!! Neither Germany or England are gonna win the Euros anyway. My personal opinion, for what its worth, is that the eventual winner is on the other side of the last 16 draw although France could well win it if they find their mojo.
Again the media and some fans are getting ahead of themselves. We haven't even played Germany yet and they are talking about quarter-finals and semi-finals etc. You have to take it one game at a time and see where you end up, we can't write Germany off because they are a good side and if they play like they did against Portugal then they could easily hammer us. Every tournament the media hypes the team up and think we will go far and then hammer them in the press when we don't. We all know the 'Coming Home' thing is a tongue in cheek joke and people who say it doesn't necessarily believe we can win it but we can live in hope and be optimistic.

Thing is I think England also struggle to break down sides that sit in and get numbers behind the ball. That type of game suits neither side, Germany are quite an attacking side and the likes of robin "the goose" Gosens is particularly great to watch when they are on the front foot. I'm expecting it to be quite open and exciting, maybe even go to extra time.

England have players like Sancho and Bellingham who know all about these German players, and that might come in handy on the night.

It might just be 'end of days' for this German side before their new manager takes over., I'd be surprised if they went quietly though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »