Thread Rating:
England Expects
Well we'll have to give them a much larger bung if we want it.
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Not an earthly England are getting that tournament, the organisation at Wembley was appalling and its very lucky people didn't get killed.
0762 likes this post
They'd hopefully play all their fixtures at Wembley next time eh Whistle
(15-07-2021, 15:00)0762 Wrote: They'd hopefully play all their fixtures at Wembley next time eh Whistle

If England host a tournament again then the matches should be played around the country not just at Wembley as the England team belongs to everyone not just people in London. I honestly believe they should have built the National stadium half way between the North and South of England so it's accessible to everyone.

Watching the Euro's this year I liked the look of Hampden Park. What I would like to see is a 6 nations but for football, you could have England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland and play 4 games each and each year alternate the matches home and away. 2 games could be played in the October/November International break and the other 2 in the March/April International break, would be competitive football and give young players a chance too to impress instead of playing boring international friendlies.
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
(15-07-2021, 17:22)spireitematt Wrote:
(15-07-2021, 15:00)0762 Wrote: They'd hopefully play all their fixtures at Wembley next time eh Whistle

If England host a tournament again then the matches should be played around the country not just at Wembley as the England team belongs to everyone not just people in London. I honestly believe they should have built the National stadium half way between the North and South of England so it's accessible to everyone.

Watching the Euro's this year I liked the look of Hampden Park. What I would like to see is a 6 nations but for football, you could have England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Ireland and play 4 games each and each year alternate the matches home and away. 2 games could be played in the October/November International break and the other 2 in the March/April International break, would be competitive football and give young players a chance too to impress instead of playing boring international friendlies.

We had that for over 100 years up until it was stopped in 1984, it was called the British Home Championship and included England, Scotland Wales and NI (it was Ireland taking part prior to 1950). I used to look forward to that event every year and the England v Scotland games were a highlight of the football calendar!! Unfortunately it was plagued with the hooligan problem we had in the 70s and 80s and eventually the FAs of England and Scotland decided that it wasn't popular enough to continue. I would argue that in the off years between Euros or WC it would be a very popular event again, playing it every year was part of the problem.
Lord Snooty and Amelia Chaffinch like this post
I like Hampden; been for the SFA Cup final and the commonwealth games but the Scottish people don't generally have a good word to say about it.
It's an absolute dump Amelia. I've had some great times there but its miles behind the stadia in England.

Like SCO I'd be in favour of bringing back the home internationals, scheduling it now would likely be tough though.
An absolute dump? It's a beautiful stadium. Have you ever been to new Wembley? That's an absolute dump!
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
I honestly can't see why you say that, Jim. We've had 2 really good trips there and it's not that long ago, really. Wembley's not a dump, Snoots, it's where it's located that's a dump.

Someone mentioned security at Wembley. I think it is bad. When we went for the last playoff final it was just after Manchester Arena bombing. There was someone behind us who had got in with a backpack and there was specific guidelines about the sizes of bags you could take in. I think it was one, no larger than 12" by 12". That backpack was bigger.
hibeejim21 likes this post
I really don't think the atmosphere there is that great, and in recent years the view I've had has been rotten.
Fortunately it didn't matter too much with the cup final - I could hardly see by the time I got there anyway Laugh

The refurbishments of the 1990s should have saw it move with the times and be modernised properly. Instead they simply put seats on the old terraces and chucked a load of cash on the rebuilding of the South stand - the Welsh built an entire stadium for the same money. Fair enough it looked great as an athletics stadium at the commonwealth.

The end of the day the SRU refurbished Murrayfield and its a vastly superior set up. The rugger buggers got it right.

Hampden has masses of great history behind it, thats about the only reason for keeping it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »