Thread Rating:
England Expects
(28-06-2021, 10:39)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: It's about probabilities. No amount of dreams will help that. And, despite the amount of overpaid divas in our team, they do not set the world alight.

and before kick off last night no one gave the Swiss a chance of winning, everyone in the prediction league gave the Swiss no chance of winning. I would imagine the Swiss support in the ground gave them no chance of winning....and yet?

As I say, we have as much chance as any other team. In fact they will probably say that we have more of a chance of winning it as we have home advantage in all but one game should we make it all the way to the final.

I don't get why so many people have a downer on our chances, it's like we are setting up for the disappointment.
Lord Snooty and St Charles Owl like this post
Have got a wee feeling for Denmark now.
(29-06-2021, 09:42)WakeyTerrier Wrote:
(28-06-2021, 10:39)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: It's about probabilities. No amount of dreams will help that. And, despite the amount of overpaid divas in our team, they do not set the world alight.

and before kick off last night no one gave the Swiss a chance of winning, everyone in the prediction league gave the Swiss no chance of winning. I would imagine the Swiss support in the ground gave them no chance of winning....and yet?

As I say, we have as much chance as any other team. In fact they will probably say that we have more of a chance of winning it as we have home advantage in all but one game should we make it all the way to the final.

I don't get why so many people have a downer on our chances, it's like we are setting up for the disappointment.

Because I've had expectations before yet they haven't won anything since I was 2 years old! Better to not expect then be pleasantly surprised. Also, superstition dictates that I don't count my chickens.
As tweeted:

"Yet I remain underwhelmed. We are just not all that."

Ready, aim, fire.
(29-06-2021, 19:59)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: As tweeted:

"Yet I remain underwhelmed. We are just not all that."

Ready, aim, fire.

I suppose the point is "We are just not all what??" Southgate sets us up to not concede, he has made us difficult to break down ad he knows we have an abundance of quality up front so if like today we can create 2-3 good chances, then we have the players clinical enough to take them. We can be boring and negative, we are slow on the ball but in the end the best two moves of the game came with pace and good finishing and both were from England.

We all dream of winning tournaments and we know England can stumble and find themselves dumped out unexpectedly, but we have to believe they can do it!! We are not the best team in this tournament, but we might just be the most solid team. The draw is favorable, no easy games at this stage but lets watch the other big guns take each other out and lets hope we can beat first Sweden and then whoever wins the other game, games which we can win, and then you just never know!!
I don't get the hype for players like Kane. If other players didn't fall over to get penalties for him to take, he wouldn't score quite so many goals. I do agree that Grealish should be on the pitch. He does create. I just don't find most of them exciting to watch. I nearly read my book instead today.  Big Grin
(29-06-2021, 20:18)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: I don't get the hype for players like Kane. If other players didn't fall over to get penalties for him to take, he wouldn't score quite so many goals. I do agree that Grealish should be on the pitch. He does create. I just don't find most of them exciting to watch. I nearly read my book instead today.  Big Grin

I think Kane's reputation is almost completely based on his performances for Spurs but lets not forget he has 35 goals for England from under 60 games, not too shabby!! I agree that England are not exciting, France and Portugal are exciting to watch but they are now back home, so I will take boring wins without conceding goals all day long!!
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
Fair point, SCO. It probably says a little too much about me that I enjoyed France and Ronaldo going out more than I did seeing England win.  Laugh I don't like show-offs.   Laugh
Lord Snooty likes this post
I'll take the win and enjoy it. Anyone know the odds on a 2 ~ 0 win. ? Didn't have it unfortunately.
(29-06-2021, 20:29)Amelia Chaffinch Wrote: Fair point, SCO. It probably says a little too much about me that I enjoyed France and Ronaldo going out more than I did seeing England win.  Laugh I don't like show-offs.   Laugh

I hear about all the hype but living over here shields me from having to listen to it 24/7, so I get the backlash you see from some. We have been through the England teams that played with a cavalier attitude and flair, and they didn't win anything either!! Maybe, just maybe Southgate has it right.

Interestingly all the teams from the so called Group of Death are now out.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »