Thread Rating:
Scotland v Czech Republic, Mon 14 June
Yep! My son in law showed me Clarke's line up at lunch time and my first words were, "What kinda positive, ambitious line up is that esp for a home game at Hampden Park"???? And then the Tierney absence was explained, my reply being FFS!!!
We lost to a team that was solid but nothing close to being anything special in real football terms. As said previously, we had a good number of decent scoring chances but no clinical finishing striker. Even Nisbet's back post header in the last quarter was a better scoring opp than it looked - he headed the baw off the Czech CB. But actually had the chance to head the baw left of the guy's head and left of the right-moving goalie to score a deserved goal.
I watched the game. The 1st half was rather tight until the 1st goal just before half-time and it was a very well worked goal by the Czech Republic. The 2nd Czech goal was an absolute great goal, those either go in or they don't. The keeper Marshall was nearly near the half way line when they managed to capitalise on that chance, if he had stayed on the edge of his area he may have been able to catch it or even tip it over the bar.

That 2nd Czech goal drove Scotland to get back into the game and I thought they created some very good chances in the 2nd half but no one managed to get on the end of those chances and put the ball in the net. I did think Scotland were hard done to in the 1st half to not get a penalty when McTominay was bundled over in the area. Was hoping that Liam Cooper would have a good game seeing he's a former Spireite. I was very impressed by that player Forrest which came on as a sub, he probably should have started.

The England game on Friday is going to go 2 ways. It will either be a 3-0 England win or Scotland win it 1-0. Scotland can still get out of the group they just need 3pts and hope teams in the other groups which finish 3rd do worse with points.
hibeejim21 and ritchiebaby like this post
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
(15-06-2021, 00:42)spireitematt Wrote: I watched the game. The 1st half was rather tight until the 1st goal just before half-time and it was a very well worked goal by the Czech Republic. The 2nd Czech goal was an absolute great goal, those either go in or they don't. The keeper Marshall was nearly near the half way line when they managed to capitalise on that chance, if he had stayed on the edge of his area he may have been able to catch it or even tip it over the bar.

That 2nd Czech goal drove Scotland to get back into the game and I thought they created some very good chances in the 2nd half but no one managed to get on the end of those chances and put the ball in the net. I did think Scotland were hard done to in the 1st half to not get a penalty when McTominay was bundled over in the area. Was hoping that Liam Cooper would have a good game seeing he's a former Spireite. I was very impressed by that player Forrest which came on as a sub, he probably should have started.

The England game on Friday is going to go 2 ways. It will either be a 3-0 England win or Scotland win it 1-0. Scotland can still get out of the group they just need 3pts and hope teams in the other groups which finish 3rd do worse with points.

I'm hoping it's the first option.

The Scotland team don't need any excuses to raise the game against England and they will come into this fixture with wounded pride. They will be bang up for it and anything can happen.
I'm hoping yesterdays result means they have to come to Wembley and try to attack which could be good news for our attacking players.
hibeejim21 likes this post
England will win comfortably on Friday. It would be nice to think we could make al fist of it, but we simply don't carry enough of a goal threat. I cant remember the last time we had a quality striker up top, sparky is probably closest but his fitness has been a joke this season. So frustrating watching him in the stand, I felt a bit angry with him.

Thinking about it in the cold light of day I still cant believe Clarke opted for O'donnell instead of Forrest or young Patterson. The players clearly weren't passing to him at stages yesterday because he cant get us up the park and he isn't a good defender either.
0762 likes this post
Agree Jim, Scotland actually carved out a good number of chances but were let down by the finishing. However the defense at times was all over the place so the Czechs looked just as likely to add to their tally. I think with the quality of the England strikers that they will always manage to score against such a defense and will win the game comfortably.
Will be interesting to see if Southgate picks Grealish, not only for his powerful runs from midfield but to confront his teammate McGinn Laugh
ritchiebaby likes this post
"FOREVER UNITED"
Aye! A lotta footie folk seemed to forget how Scotland actually "switched off" during the initial period after HT and Marshal saved the blushes of certain unfocused Scotland players with some vg saves. Re O'Donnell, I couldn't believe how he blocked Christie's great run into the Czech pen box in the 1st half - embarrassing TBH and shouldn't have happened!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »