Thread Rating:
UEFA continues to play the Denmark v Finland match after that Eriksen shock????
Great to see Christian Eriksen revived and stabilised after that horrible incident where he was clearly dead on the pitch after collapsing just before HT - a tremendous job by the medical staff who administered CPR and proof that this technique will save lives as long as the medics can get to the scene as quickly as poss. However, I must say I was gobsmacked to hear the UEFA decision to resume the match later in the evening esp after observing the mental state of most of the shocked Danish players during and after the desperate efforts to save Eriksen. I've never been a great fan of UEFA and this move just endorses my disregard for this footie association that spans way back to the Heysel Stadium disaster in 1985 when their officials decided the "show must go on" when 100s n 100s of dead bodies were piled up on the terracing during an infamous European Cup final that diminished the importance of footie in the eyes of many observing fans who watched this scene unfold in such tragic circumstances. There are far more important things in life even though admittedly the sport is enjoyable to watch for many people in our society. I gather that UEFA had no other vacant dates to play this match. But IMO this was totally "out of order" and insensitive to this type of shocking incident!!
Lord Snooty likes this post
I agree, 0762, even if it's true that Eriksen and the players wanted the match to on, their mental state cannot have been right for the match. It should have already been suspended and to be rearranged way before it continued.
Well they say that Erikson spoke to his teammates from his hospital bed.

Very strange.

Like you say, they clearly weren't in the right frame of mind. Schmeical's poor attempt to save the goal that went in. The terrible penalty kick. They were in some kind of trauma.

Should've taken 24 hours to reflect on things and if they feel up to it, then go ahead. Playing it a couple of hours after one of their team mates almost died was not the right thing to do.

It put the Fins in a bad position as well. UEFA should've been more decisive. Leaving it to the players to make the decision was pathetic really.
0762 likes this post
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
That's what I was trying to say but I did it badly. They should have had the decision made for them.
The players didn’t make the decision, UEFA asked for and listened to their opinion and wishes and then they made a decision.

No win situation for UEFA, cancel the game against the wishes of the teams and they get slammed, decide to play the game after consultations and they get slammed!!

I was amazed the game was continued but it does seem at this point that they listened to those involved and not those not involved.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »