Thread Rating:
Strachan announces his 1st squad of Scotland players for the World Cup
Do not hold your breath Jim,he's come out and said Martin was outstanding last night
(09-10-2016, 11:58)hibeejim21 Wrote: I just don't get it,lithuania have tall,slow defenders so getting it wide to play for chris martin was just mental.Easy meat for them whereas sparky would have stretched them and found space.
I hope he can redeem himself midweek but that was as bad as its been under him.

I'm guessing there could well be an 'arrangement' with Celtic/Brendan Rodgers re playing Sparky anyway - all linked to the striker's current fitness and gradually recovering from his recent injury! It's stuff you don't see as a Scotland fan TBF. The centre back weakness is still the one that concerns me the most and I can't fathom how Hanley has hardly any 1st team game time and yet wee Goggsy opts for his presence.
If Griffiths wasn't fit he wouldn't be there
I'm sure Griffiths is fit but his gradual recovery has been evident with Rodgers bringing him on late as a sub - it's called weaning an injured player back to full match fitness and that's generally how most physios or sport scientists would advise the manager to do it - a cautionary gradual process.
he wasn't played because Strachan hadn't got a clue,infact how many games has he started under Strachan??
Yup fred.I get the feeling he doesn't fancy griffiths that much.
I get the impression wi Strachan that he's leaving him out because everyone else wants to see him in,he's a utter arsehole and his self righteousness is costing us,I am at the point were I'm no fussed if we lose the game Slovenia game as it might just mean he gets the boot,how the fuq he got the job is beyond me.
scotland always tend to get managers at the tail end of their career. Just the way it is. He was probably the best choice available at the time.
(09-10-2016, 21:59)hibeejim21 Wrote: Yup fred.I get the feeling he doesn't fancy griffiths that much.

The general opinion in the media re Martin being chosen was because he offered more of a physical presence against big defenders than Griffiths and that's why Strachan opted for him but, as already highlighted, Martin has no significant scoring form for his club. I must say he doesn't have a huge array of striking talent to choose from apart from Griffiths who scores goals in the Scottish Premier league. It's a pity Sparky never scored with that header when he came on as a sub instead of heading the ball straight to the Lithuanian goalie. IMO that was a good scoring opp to raise his scoring profile for Scotland with Strachan watching on!
Aye he missed a chance but that happens the FACT is he should be the first choice striker unfortunately he is playing for a xxxx of a manager who needs a punch in the mouth.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »