Thread Rating:
Joey Barton
Guys - surprised not to see more chat about this "gentleman's" arrival at Rangers.

It seems that the Burnley fans took to him and in maturity he might actually be worth a punt. 

Whereas previously he was a violent player and poisonous and decisive within the dressing room. Certainly West Brom fans a few seasons back were not at all happy to have him linked to them.

Maybe in his twilight he might be an asset for once. Is he the level and quality you guys are expecting to arrive this summer?
To be honest I don't even know what he brings as a player these days, it's been a while since I saw him play. His temperament will definitely be tested in Scotland so I'm hoping for the best but not quite convinced it'll all end well.
Already covered in the 'Rangers Squad' thread, Stairs.

(20-05-2016, 13:05)Larry-AV Wrote: 20/05/2016 : Joey Barton is a controversial person, not on account of his undoubted ability as a footballer, but due to his character. Mark Warburton has said many times that Rangers will not recruit any player that would be a disruptive influence, so I trust MW's judgement of JB is based on more than that which is known in the public domain.

Rangers FC - Warbs Keen On Barton

(24-05-2016, 15:30)Larry-AV Wrote: 24/05/2016 : He has not signed for the money. Welcome to Rangers, Mr Barton, I hope everything works out well.

Rangers FC - Gers Sign Joey Barton

(25-05-2016, 17:48)St Charles Owl Wrote: Barton has had a very good season with Burnley, culminating in their promotion back to the Prem and picked up the player of the year award!!  No sign of his previous problems, maybe he has finally matured!!  I think he could be a key player for Rangers this season, if he can do so well in the Championship then he will be near the top in the Scottish Prem!!
Stairs likes this post
AVFC RFC SAFC
Will be interesting how he settles in to Scottish football.  Feel he will be targeted by some of the harder tacklers in the SPL and wonder how he will respond to that. It will also be interesting to see how he handles the games against Celtic and all the intensity and pressure they will bring especially at the away games at Celtic Park in front of a hostile crowd.

I know how the old Joey Barton would respond but he has changed.... Dodgy
"FOREVER UNITED"
05/10/2016 : Joey Barton in more trouble.

Skysports - Rangers midfielder Joey Barton given Scottish FA betting charge
AVFC RFC SAFC
No surprise there. The mans a clown
As said before they needed a name or two to prove they were 'back' and to sell season books. However Barton has looked done so far and is an egotistical,thuggish,pseudo intellectual scumbag to boot. Now its time for sevco to get his huge wage off the payroll. Maybe the brothers at the sfa can help?

Thing is he hasn't bet against rangers,so surely a similar punishment to black and simonsen would be consistent? We shall see.
(06-10-2016, 08:42)hibeejim21 Wrote: As said before they needed a name or two to prove they were 'back' and to sell season books. However Barton has looked done so far and is an egotistical,thuggish,pseudo intellectual scumbag to boot. Now its time for sevco to get his huge wage off the payroll. Maybe the brothers at the sfa can help?

Thing is he hasn't bet against rangers,so surely a similar punishment to black and simonsen would be consistent? We shall see.

At the time he signed I thought it was a good move from a footballing perspective for Rangers. He was excellent with Burnley last season, their player of the year in a promotion campaign but rightly recognised that he was going to struggle to get in their team in the PL, so it looked like a good move for him. I thought he had matured a bit from his past, and last season certainly seemed to provide some evidence of that but now he is back in the limelight, which he wasn't at Burnley, it seems to have caused the old Joey to reemerge!!

No idea about any other Rangers motives behind the signing but not sure he would ever be anywhere near the quality of "name" that would sell more STs, I would imagine them simply getting to the top division would see them sell all the STs they thought they could.
You don't have to be jung to work out he's a xxxx arsehole,albeit the biggest name they could get on a free. They lapped up his pish.

He's up here to punt a book and play golf. He shat it from Scott brown...doubt there's any way back from that...but tk be fair he has sussed out warbs. "a clueless xxxx"
The guy has been a thug and dick for most of his career, I just thought he might finally have grown up after his performances last season, but alas it was not to be. Always thought he was a decent player who let everything else get in the way of his career, his loss at the end of the day though!! Can't see him playing for them again, something will be done to get him out either by terminating the contract or letting him leave fro free in January. Question is whether there is any other club that will take him, I know I wouldn't but there is usually one manager who thinks he can reform or control him, so you never know.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »