Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
Money, money, money!! The 2015-16 Push to the Premier League - Act 1: Summer 2015
Playoffs keep the seasons interesting right up to and beyond the final weekend.

They were/are a great idea.
Owlkev71 likes this post
No-one in their right mind would go back to the days without Playoffs.

While many innovations haven't helped, the Playoffs have boosted interest and crowds significantly.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
I can't deny that, it does keep the season alive and stops it being sewn up after xmas. You're spot on there.

I wasn't trying to suggest the "old days" were necessarily better. Just that the continuing trend is moving towards the negative, and not nearing some sort of age of enlightenment in the Football World. Using the Playoffs probably wasn't the best example as it wasn't really the point I was trying to get across.

That cronyism and crooks are part and parcel of the game that shouldn't be normalised. We're slowly becoming de-sensitised IMO.

That's all I was trying to get at in my not so erudite way Smile

Somewhat interesting background story on Kieran Lee.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footbal...o-way.html
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
Only one team in the whole Football League has a 100% win record in Playoff matches & we know who that is!!!!!
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
(01-12-2015, 17:17)consilio Wrote: Playoffs keep the seasons interesting right up to and beyond the final weekend.

They were/are a great idea.

Cant agree with you or ms on this  Whistle i think they are shit and it makes it very hard for teams like wednesday to go up !! i say this because we always go up second and the third spot is a nice cushion that other teams fight to the death for !! also playoffs have destroyed the league in mexico and the mls never got started becuase of it !! its xxxx push dont be offended thats my opinion !!
Completely disagree Imre!! The playoffs give at least 3 extra teams a chance of promotion and generally mean that the top 8-10 teams are fighting for something right to the end. Sure its a pisser when you finish third but in our position this season the best we can probably hope for is 6th place, and having the playoffs means that gives us a chance at promotion, even if its a slim one, its still a chance. So the playoffs are what will keep our season alive after Xmas and hopefully into May, without them we would almost be done now!!
When the Playoffs were first introduced, there were a few people against them. I remember Joe Royle speaking out against them when Oldham manager after they lost in the Playoffs after finishing third, 18 points ahead of the 4th placed team. Under the old system, they would have been promoted with five matches left.

Now, you will hear no-one speak against them in the English game. Owners, Managers, Players & Fans all love the Playoffs and the fact that they keep everyone interested right up to the final few weeks of the season means more fans & more revenue. It is not even a subject for debate in England any more such has been its success.
I too like the playoffs. They're a North American invention. But, they do add interest and engage the interest of a larger number of clubs through the season.
"God Save the King."
(03-12-2015, 01:18)peiowl Wrote: I too like the playoffs. They're a North American invention. But, they do add interest and engage the interest of a larger number of clubs through the season.

Yes they were but in the US they are used to decide the winner of a title, whereas in England they are just used for the last promotion spot, the winner is decided on merit over the whole season, not on form at the end of the season!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34997314

Another one that got away Doh
and complicated
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed