Thread Rating:
WBA vs Burnley - Match Thread
The last time Albion managed to win two matches in the space of four days, I'm pretty sure that Alan Irvine was having schoolboy trials at Queens Park and Jeremy Peace was a disco king with a two-foot-wide afro.  Flushed with this unprecedented success, some who were furnishing us this time last week with Nostradamus predictions about the horrific and utterly unavoidable fate awaiting Albion with Irvine at the helm (meteors striking the Hawthorns, the back four being replaced with three-headed aardvarks, etc) now seem equally certain that we're in for a top eight place come May, shortly before Irvine becomes the first man on Mars.  I'm loath to discourage any kind of positivity towards the team and head coach, who's unquestionably earned himself a dram or two this week, but the fact is that our brace of triumphs are just the first building blocks, and this weekend they need a good coat of cement slapped on them before we get to work on the next layer.  There will undoubtedly be setbacks to come in the near future, so here and now, we need that result against Burnley to really get our season on track.

[Image: pt_1977_2971_o.jpg]

Finding out that Chris Brunt has just remembered how to take corners properly is a bitter pill for Sean Dyche.

The first hurdle Irvine will need to clear is the fabled "selection headache" which comes with having seen the vast majority of the first team squad turn in improved performances over the last few days.  He may be tempted to keep faith with the team which won at White Hart Lane, but with Burnley likely to stay organised and deep, playing on the counter, we'll need an attacking line capable of breaking their defence down.  Playing it cautious in this one would be a mistake.

Like us, Burnley have struggled for goals in recent games, but we've proven very charitable to teams with such difficulties in the past; I hope to see the Lescott/Dawson partnership replicate their superb concentration from last Sunday, and not become complacent.  In fact, that goes for the whole starting XI: Burnley have earned their place in the Premier League, and their chances of staying here will be hugely improved by every team that underestimates them.  Let's not be the first.

Classic Match

West Bromwich Albion 4-1 Burnley

Football League Division One: 16th August 2003

The opening home match of our campaign to "boing back" after that first Premier League relegation, and it's probably our best performance against Burnley in modern times.  After an early setback, "Our Tim" Sakiri does pretty much the only thing he'll be remembered for, then Rob Hulse and Lee Hughes take care of the rest.  Fun in the sun.

Dingle-Dingle likes this post
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Well, as one of the doom mongers, with regard to AI, I will state that I am still to be convinced.
I wait with baited breath to see what the line up is on Saturday. Maybe now he has a squad getting to full fitness he will select teams we can all understand.

Sadly, I will be in the USA and so I am missing the greatest team competition in the World, The Ryder Cup. Plus, jet lag and US TV willing, I will be watching some of the golf and the Albion game in the wee hours!

Last time I did this I managed to see a full replay of the game on the Sunday in a bar. It was a game that we won. So maybe this is a lucky omen.
I am getting frustrated now. Sportsbabble is stuck just below 200 members. We had 98 guests watching this site during one period of the league cup games and so we just need them to commit and sign up. I want people covering all clubs and so please guys, pester your mates, email friends and if you are on other boards, mention the existence of this one.

I WANT 500 BY THE END OF THE YEAR - must be easy, surely!
Such a tough call picking a side for Sunday with both XIs winning i reckon Gamboa,Blanco,Berahino have done more than enough to get in the side, Varela looked good when he came on but have the feeling he'll be on the bench. I think the keeper & defence barring the right back picks itself now Pocognoli,Lescott,Dawson leaving the other 4 shirts up for grabs! Over to you Irvine!
Lawro and Merson have both predicted us to win. That's us boned then.
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
(26-09-2014, 15:50)Ska Wrote: Lawro and Merson have both predicted us to win.  That's us boned then.

They have to get one right sometime....... Don`t they?? DD Confused Confused
Ubique.
Got to agree with Tom I think. Berahino must be 1st choice up top now ? Last season he didn't deliver after a good start but his England u21 form and start this season must make him one of the first names on the sheet. Anichebe just doesn't score enough and is injury prone, Ideye still settling in as is Samaras so Saido fill ya boots son :-)
After attending Hull game in mid week I think Blanco and Gamboa should start at expense of Dorrans and Wisdom respectively.

We need to go for Burnley big time and width and creativity is essential.

Varela looked good when he came on against Hull but maybe start with Brunt and keep the Portuguese lad in reserve?
Does anybody rate Wisdom at RB ?
Gamboa for me because Wisdom is simply not up to scratch at this level. Went to the Port Vale friendly and thought he was poor and haven't seen anything since to change my mind.
C O Y B

Foster.
Gamboa. Pocognoli.
Lescott. Dawson.
Gardner. Mulumbu. Yacob.
Blanco.
Berahino. Ideye.

Either 4-3-3 or 4-3-1-2 or a diamond 4-4-2
Think Wisdom is very good defensively but awful going forward. He can't cross a ball for toffee. He would be better as a CB, but im happy with him at RB against the better teams. Can't see Gamboa doing that tbh
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »