Thread Rating:
Scotland at Euro 2016
Manager Gordon Strachan admits Scotland are in a battle for second spot as they prepare to kick off their campaign to reach the Euro 2016 finals.
Strachan's side face World Cup winners Germany in Dortmund on Sunday in their opening match of qualifying Group D.
Republic of Ireland, Poland, Georgia and Gibraltar are also in the group.
"Germany will qualify. Poland, Scotland, Georgia and Ireland for the other two spots, that's a mini league," Strachan told BBC Scotland.

Scotland have not qualified for a major tourney since 1998, and although group D is a toughy, I think , Germany aside, who will win it with their eyes shut, Scotland have a chance. Poland are the biggest threat, but if we continue to improve, Euro 2016 in France could be seeing the Tartan Army after an 18 year gap. Smile
You're lucky...In the light of Brazil14 Hodgson would need to see them all as a threat!
Certainly, the impact of so many foreign stars playing in the EPL has so diluted the English national squad that it is going to become more of a struggle for them to qualify.
Scotland on the other hand have in fact improved as the finances have dried up within its game. More players getting game time has helped , as has a manager that seems to know what he is doing
Good post Struth totally agree

Still looking somewhat sparse at Centre back but options elsewhere are showing a lot more strength in depth and now the squads aren't being the same old string of names who get a game just because they play for a struggling EPl side.
Lot of credit has to go to Strachan, TBH. He's finally got our players to play with a bit of confidence - both in themselves and their team mates.

We'll get that humped out of us on Sunday, wait and see. . .
Your man Strach's got your boys playing with passion and strength which belays your weakness' I honestly think you will qualify with ease and be challenging the Jormons

Just wish England had half the fight and passion you Scot's have Angry
(05-09-2014, 09:48)Citizen Jeebers Wrote: Your man Strach's got your boys playing with passion and strength which belays your weakness' I honestly think you will qualify with ease and be challenging the Jormons

Just wish England had half the fight and passion you Scot's have  Angry

I wish we had the Raheem Stirling and Daniel Sturridge you guys have. Fight and passion will only get you so far, and it's been a while since they got us to a tournament finals.

The good thing about this Germany game is that they're expected to pump everyone at home, so we have nothing to lose. Things are always tougher for us in the matches we're expected to win.
This game should just be an exercise in goal difference, and hopefully instilling a smidgen of confidence for the campaign.
I expect us to qualify from this group poland and the rep hold no fears for Me.
Getting Germany this early in the campaign is a bonus in itself. The other sides will take points off each other, we should be taking maximum points from all but one of our home games.
Lineups for the match:

Germany:
Neuer
Rudy
Durm
Boateng
Höwedes
Götze
Kramer
Kroos
Reus
Müller
Schürrle

Scotland:
Marshall
Martin
Hanley
Whittaker
Hutton
Bannan
Morrison
Anya
Mulgrew
D. Fletcher
Naismith

Interesting use of 3 right backs in the Scotland lineup, and not a lot that would worry me at all if I was a German player. Still, we live in hope.
How's Muller not got a red card for that. That would be a red card in rugby. Huh
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »