Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
Money, money, money!! The 2015-16 Push to the Premier League - Act 1: Summer 2015
If we bring a top striker in I think a year out on loan would be best for May.

He needs regular games and he isn't going to get it here at the moment
If you look at May's goals at St Johnstone, he played just the width of the box and was the main focus of their attacks. He made great runs and he was a clinical finisher.

He started well but I think he suffered due to SG's tactics. SG wanted him to use his energy chasing back, which meant that he was tired when chances came his way so was less able to take them. Also, he showed good pace at St Johnstone but it seems that the constant chasing back blunted that pace for Wednesday.

He wasn't helped by SG wanting him to play on the wing in quite a few games which meant that fewer chances came his way and those that did were from less favourable angles.

He scored 7 goals from 26 league starts, which while not great, isn't terrible. It does need to improve if he wants to play in a promotion chasing side. I think he will benefit from having a better coach at the helm, particularly if he gets regular starts.

Usually instinctive finishers remain as instinctive finishers so it was a surprise to see May lose that touch. My hope is that this was down to SG & that his goal scoring instincts will return. He didn't actually miss that many chances (just that a couple were memorable) & when he did, they generally were close misses. He hit the woodwork five times and had two good goals disallowed.

My concerns are that his first touch needs to improve and that he needs to get more shots in on goal. Last season, he only averaged 1.5 attempts per match from inside the penalty area whereas Jordan Rhodes had over three per game. It isn't rocket science to see why he scored so few. Double the shots, double the goals, you stay in the team & build up confidence.

As it stands, we appear likely to play 433 which means only one striker so if we bring in a big name striker then May is likely to get even less game time next season.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
I also think May will improve under a better coach. I know I'm sounding like a broken record but I think his confidence was shot last year by repeatedly being placed behind Nuhiu in the pecking order. Thurnscoe and maddix will disagree with me. that's fine.

We never saw much of Bus as he got injured.

Lavery does have potential.

So I'm not sure whether we really do need a new striker now. If we do get one, a good one, at least one if not two of the others will need to go out on loan.

IMO!!! Whistle Whistle
"God Save the King."
(20-07-2015, 14:10)peiowl Wrote: I also think May will improve under a better coach. I know I'm sounding like a broken record but I think his confidence was shot last year by repeatedly being placed behind Nuhiu in the pecking order. Thurnscoe and maddix will disagree with me. that's fine.

So I'm not sure whether we really do need a new striker now. If we do get one, a good one, at least one if not two of the others will need to go out on loan.

IMO!!! Whistle Whistle

If we play 433 then Bus is the most likely to fit the role of our current strikers.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
I still think we need an established and proven goalscorer. They obviously don't come cheap!!
(20-07-2015, 14:10)peiowl Wrote: I also think May will improve under a better coach. I know I'm sounding like a broken record but I think his confidence was shot last year by repeatedly being placed behind Nuhiu in the pecking order. Thurnscoe and maddix will disagree with me. that's fine.

IMO!!! Whistle Whistle

We actually had a better goals per game ratio when both started games together. I agree dropping may shot him of all confidence, especially after brum away when he tore them a new one
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
Sounds like Bamford is joining Palace.
Couldn't see Bamford coming to us in all honesty.

With the midfield we are building, along with the aggressive football philosophy. I think what we have might just be sufficient, and if not then we get a proven, known striker through the door in January.

I don't believe we've seen what Bus & May are capable of. We know what Nuhui brings as we also know Lavery's strengths.

If we are go going 433 as believed then we don't currently need more strikers on the books do we? I would have thought 4 was ample. Is that Croasdale lad a midfielder or forward too? Because that would make 5.
madsteve likes this post
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
If we are to push for a playoff spot this season then we will need someone to score 20+ goals, question is do we have that player now?? I think with a better midfield behind out front players, with us playing more attacking football and with hopefully better coaching I think all of our strikers can do better than they did last season, including Nuhiu, but will any of them get to 20 goals??
(20-07-2015, 17:52)Statesideowl Wrote: Couldn't see Bamford coming to us in all honesty.

With the midfield we are building, along with the aggressive football philosophy. I think what we have might just be sufficient, and if not then we get a proven, known striker through the door in January.

I don't believe we've seen what Bus & May are capable of. We know what Nuhui brings as we also know Lavery's strengths.

If we are go going 433 as believed then we don't currently need more strikers on the books do we? I would have thought 4 was ample. Is that Croasdale lad a midfielder or forward too? Because that would make 5.

Numbers wise, we are ok. It is just the quality.

Bus might be good enough. May could be as well. Lavery is still a year or so away & Nuhiu........
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed