Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
Money, money, money!! The 2015-16 Push to the Premier League - Act 1: Summer 2015
But it will be a CF's goals that we need.

Hunt isn't going to get us promoted on his own is he.
Agreed, I am just not convinced Murphy has shown throughout his career the ability to get 20 goals a season, his only real success has been at Ipswich and it seems a lot of money for a guy who has one good season in his whole career. Just think we could do better.

It does highlight though the problem of buying British players and the prices being asked for them compared to foreign players!! 5m for a 32 year old Championship player just seems a lot to me when Derby only paid that for Tom Ince, a player I rate higher than Murphy!
it's goals from everywhere we need, not just up front. Look at Blackburn, they have Rhodes who scores 20+ each season yet they finish miles behind PO nevermind autos.

Nuhiu has his uses because we have no one similar in style to him. I'm starting to sound like a broken record now but until we sign someone better at doing what Nuhiu does, than Nuhiu does himself, then we should not get rid of him.
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
Lopez is official. Picture on the SWFC site
St Charles Owl and consilio like this post
Yep, announced 20 minutes ago!!

http://www.swfc.co.uk/news/article/owls-...39336.aspx

I really like this signing!!!  He has played at the highest level in Spain his whole career and while the bottom half of La Liga may not be much above the Championship it goes to show his quality!!!  Obviously with any foreign player he will need to get up to speed with the championship but I think this guy could excel for us!!!

All the new players are now added to the OP.

Just though I would add the full list here.

Goalkeepers
Keiren Westwood
Cameron Dawson
Joe Wildsmith
Lewis Price - Free Transfer on one year contract from Palace

Defenders
Liam Palmer
Marnick Vermijl
Tom Lees
Glenn Loovens - New contract signed (1 year)
Claude Dielna
Jeremey Helan
Darryl Lachman - signed 2 year contract
Vincent Sasso - Season long loan from Braga
Jack Hunt - Season long loan from Palace

Midfielders
Jose Semedo - New contract signed (1 year)
Kieran Lee - New contract signed (2 years)
Silva Felipe Melo
Sam Hutchinson
Marco Matias - Winger, signed a 4 year contract from Nacional.
Ross Wallace - Winger, signed on a one year contract from Burnley
Alex Lopez - Season long loan from Celta Vigo

Forwards
Athde Nuhiu
Sergiu Bus
Stevie May
Caolan Lavery

Players Released or Sold
Lewis Buxton - Released - signed for Rotherham
Kamil Zayette - Released
Dejhan Kelhar - Released
Joe Mattock - Released - Signed for Rotherham
Rafael Floro - Released
Jacques Maghoma - Released - Signed for Birmingham
Rhys McCabe - Released
Paul Corry - Released
Giles Coke - Released
Matt Young - Released
Gary Madine - Released - Signed for Bolton
Chris Kirkland - Rejected new contract
Chris Maguire - Rejected new contract

So what do we still need???  We have now signed 7 players, 1 GK, 3 defenders and 3 midfield but bearing in mind we have seem 13 players leave the club the squad is still a bit thin, particularly in midfield.  Maybe Pamler and Helan will be looked at as midfield players under CC but that will leave us seriously short at LB.

I think we still need a CM, a winger as backup and definitely a LB.  A proven striker would also be nice to see but I think that may come in as a loan.  One note, we now have 3 loanees in the squad with a maximum of 5 allowed to be in the matchday squad, something to watch out for as we go through the season.
Think we've got enough in the middle now. Lee, Melo, Semedo, Lopez, Hutchinson and Palmer if needed.

Looking at the signings made we aren't gonna use wing backs and probably gonna play two wingers off one CF so we are still short outwide.
Statesideowl likes this post
I like that we're signing attack minded players. Would love to see some attacking football at Hillsborough and the cessation of that dull, negative, long ball crap we've suffered under for years.

Lopez on board too, taking shape nicely.
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
Everything suggests we will line up 451/433.

Lopez will play ahead of two holding players.

Two wingers and one CF.
Still need a LB as well, even if Helan/Dielna can play there that pairing would leave us weak.

I would like to see us go 433 at home and take the game to teams but would be happy with 451 away from home.
One interesting point that CC made in one of his interviews is that he doesn't like to rotate players & ideally he would like to go through the season using just 14 or 15 players. Maybe there will be a reduction in quantity to go with the increase in quality.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed