Thread Rating:
Scottish Independence
(17-09-2014, 21:27)Maddix Wrote:
(13-09-2014, 10:16)Lord Snooty Wrote: If Scotland do vote to go it alone, I hope to God they get themselves a better leader than Salmond.

That's what most people are actually missing  Doh Scotland are NOT voting for independence (read the small print). They are voting to express their preference. If they do vote for independence it will not happen overnight and the protracted negotiations for a split could take years and may never happen unless mutually agreeable terms are met. It's all another big con.

But I'd vote for a split if I was them.

Technically it's not legally binding, but the UK government has agreed that in the event of a 'yes' outcome Scotland will become independent, so it is a de facto vote for independence. The timeline is as you say uncertain though. I think March 2016 is the provisional date set for conclusion of the legal side of things allowing for the transition, but some major issues will have to be cleared by then.
Here are three of the major issues.

If Scotland splits it will, if it chooses, have to apply to join the UN, the EU and NATO.

No problems with the United Nations, Scotland would become another ordinary member. The UK will retain its permanent seat on the UN Security Council and if the UK was to totally dissolve, then England will inherit the role the UK used to have.

With the EU Scotland would have to accept the terms of membership for any new applicant state, which include :
1} Using the Euro, with no opt-out to use sterling or its own currency.
2} Joining the Schengen treaty on open borders between Schengen members ... and border controls with non-Schengen member States, specifically, the UK and ROI.
3} Scotland will not inherit the rebate the UK gets and as with the UN, if the UK dissolves, England will inherit everything the UK currently has.

With NATO Scotland sans nukes would be yet another small country happily sheltering under the ultimate deterrent provided by the USA/UK/French nuclear umbellas, whilst hypocritically denouncing nukes !
AVFC RFC SAFC
Oy, Salmond, leave the oil alone.

This could put the breeze up Salmond's kilt
A guide to cask ale.

[Image: aO7W3pZ.png]

Multi-tasking. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.
On the news today it stated 4.2 Million Scots eligible to vote. Surely there are more than 4.2 Million Scots?? DD Huh Huh
Ubique.
That'd be dead funny,theo
(18-09-2014, 00:33)Dingle-Dingle Wrote: On the news today it stated 4.2 Million Scots eligible to vote. Surely there are more than 4.2 Million Scots?? DD  Huh  Huh

There are but the younger ones and one or two other groups aren't eligible to vote.
(18-09-2014, 00:26)theo_luddite Wrote: Oy, Salmond, leave the oil alone.

This could put the breeze up Salmond's kilt

Well Alex is all about self-determination, so surely he would have to agree with their right to do this?? But then the oil factor will definitely force him to deny them any sort of autonomy if he can!!!
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
(18-09-2014, 00:33)Dingle-Dingle Wrote: On the news today it stated 4.2 Million Scots eligible to vote. Surely there are more than 4.2 Million Scots?? DD  Huh  Huh

Aye, but they are under 16, even if they are classed as parents, or Polish, or living down here.

Sorry, hadn't seen El Car's reply
A guide to cask ale.

[Image: aO7W3pZ.png]

Multi-tasking. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.
Well today's the day. I reckon it'll be a win for the No team 53 to 47.
I'm honestly pretty neutral on the whole business, but saw an interesting comment last night by Charlie Brooker, who's hoping for a No victory followed by the Yes campaign pouring their energy and enthusiasm into a new UK-wide grassroots movement for reform. Can't help but feel that'd be a decent outcome for all.
Maddix likes this post
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »