Thread Rating:
Match Thread - Bournemouth
Did we win ? Whistle

I must say I've really enjoyed putting together flat pack furniture for the last 12 hours instead of listening to Wednesday Thumb up

Time for a beer or six now Thumb up
and complicated
To be fair Maddix, it was a good game to watch!! Bournemouth while I don't like their success are an attacking team and play some good football. We were very good at closing them down and went on the break effectively. We deserved the draw and with better finishing would ahve won!!
(19-04-2015, 00:01)Imre varadi Wrote: well done Imre by the way !!

It's nice that you've suddenly regained an interest in the BML Imre  Whistle but well done anyway  Cool
and complicated
(19-04-2015, 00:01)Imre varadi Wrote: well done Imre by the way !!

Hey I feel grateful to win 2 awards this season. Went without last season so this feels like a victory. Guess SG and SWFC feel about the same!!
you all say 7.30am or 4.30am but in real time the kick off is 12.30pm so stop fúcking moaning. you chose to move
away so you cabnt nmoan when time ixs chAnagnged
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
i'm tring but eeven sober i strurggle with you tbh imre Laugh
(19-04-2015, 02:30)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote: you all say 7.30am or 4.30am but in real time the kick off is 12.30pm so stop fúcking moaning. you chose to move
away so you cabnt nmoan when time ixs chAnagnged

I never moaned, as you say its a fact of life!!
tbf 12/30 pm id s;igtly early for me tbh. No way i'll get in my 4 pre match pints
I prefer BST Thumb up gets darker later
What a game for the neutral!

We could have won it. We could have lost it. We ended up drawing it.

On paper a point away to a top three side is a decent result but as I have said, results don't matter to us now. It is about performances and preparation for next season.

We lost Westwood in the warm up (third time since Christmas this has happened - something wrong with our warm ups) and McGugan had already pulled out.

Felt like we were gatecrashing someone's party. The Bournemouth fans were ready to celebrate but the players seemed so nervous that they could hardly play. We set up 4231 and tried to make ourselves hard to beat. Bournemouth dominated possession but didn't produce any clear chances. We lost Hutchinson when he injured himself making a stupid challenge. He clearly has ability but he doesn't seem to have a brain and our coaches clearly can't get through to him how to play with his injuries.

We should have scored when Boruc made a brilliant save from Maghoma and Maguire had the follow up blocked.

Lee put us in front with a neat header from a beautifully flighted Buxton cross. Suddenly, the party went flat apart from one little corner of the ground. Bournemouth claimed a penalty but, in fact, Helan had made a well timed challenge, albeit coming in from the wrong side.

Zayatte didn't appear for the second half after suffering a facial injury in the first half. Vermijl came on at RB with Buxton switching to CB.

We seemed to be progressing well but there was that feeling that if Bournemouth scored soon then we could collapse. It could have been 2-0 when Maguire hit the post with a curling free kick.

We got lucky when both Helan & Isgrove committed yellow card offences after already being booked but the referee let them both off with a final warning. He made a big point of calling Lees over after Isgrove kicked the ball away.

SG realised that Isgrove needed to be subbed for his own good but the surprise was that he put on Nuhui, rather than Bus or McCabe. Nuhui went up front with Lavery moving to the wing. We got away with a penalty and possible red card when Buxton brought down Wilson after he had rounded Kirkland. It was one of those heart in the mouth moments. I think Buxton helped himself by playing the ball after the challenge which made it look more acceptable.

Unfortunately, it was Nuhui switching off that cost us a goal. He made a forty yard run to put the ball out for a throw in then just ignored the Bournemouth players, giving them a free cross into the box, from which Kermorgant scored, beating Buxton in the air.

Buxton took one for the team by handballing to prevent a good opportunity and Helan could have been red carded for a second yellow card foul but the referee played advantage and Lees cleared off the line. It was backs to the wall stuff.

The match took another twist when Francis picked up a second yellow, leaving them with ten men. Little doubt in my opinion but home fans were frustrated that the referee had been more lenient with Isgrove & Helan. Maybe it was our turn to get the rub of the green from a referee.

We didn't seem to know whether to stick or twist. Should we go for it with the extra man? Instead we sat back to make the point more secure. Unfortunately we went behind to a wonderful free kick from Ritchie with six minutes remaining which no keeper could have saved.

Now we had to go for it and it was a bit like the finish at Rotherham last month. We should have scored with our best move of the match. Maghoma's brilliant pass split the defence and Vermijl's rampaging run and cross set up Lavery but he couldn't quite get a good enough contact on it, stretching from six yards and it flew wide.

With time running out, Bournemouth shot themselves in the foot when Smith tripped Nuhui when he was going nowhere and it was a clear penalty. Maguire showed yet again that he is a supreme penalty taker by stroking it home despite Boruc guessing correctly. Yet again (after Blackburn & Rotherham), we had scored a crucial goal at the death.

Kirkland - 6 - no chance with goals, no tough saves
Buxton - 6 - set up first, generally did well at CB despite beaten in air for first goal
Lees - 6 - goal line clearance, solid
Zayatte - 6 - solid
Helan - 5 - struggled
Hutchinson 5 - injured making a stupid tackle
Melo - 7 - broke up play effectively
Isgrove - 6 - bright & quick
Lee - 7 - linked play well, goal
Maguire - 7 - lively, cool penalty finish
Lavery - 6 - good movement, missed two chances
Maghoma - 6 - two great passes but is that enough
Vermijl - 6 - set up late chance
Nuhui - 5 - not really at it, won penalty

Suddenly SG has started doing what I have said he should be doing for over six months so I can't complain about that but why did it take him so long to see what many of us saw months ago. We were fortunate with refereeing decisions. At 1-0, it was a perfect smash & grab performance. At 1-1, we were in danger of collapsing. At 2-1, we had thrown it away. At 2-2, we showed great character.

We have to learn to see matches like this out at 1-0. One player turning off gave Bournemouth the chance they needed and then we needed all our character to get a draw. A year ago, we had the player sent off but went on to win 4-2 by attacking with verve & pace. We have lost that attacking swagger this season. Next season, we have to do better.

Maguire, Lee & Buxton all improved their chances of getting a new contract in the summer. Lee has a lot to offer, Maguire could be a decent squad player while Buxton showed glimpses of his best.

Melo again showed that he has the qualities to do the dirty work in front of the defence. Helan needs coaching. He is no better now than the day we signed him. Lavery worked hard but needs players to get closer to him. We showed with the goal and a near miss a few minutes earlier what can happen when we get men in the box.

SG is finally showing some flexibility. If he is to be our manager next season then let's hope this flexibility continues and expands. Would have loved to see us experiment with 352 but I guess the injuries to Zayatte & Hutchinson (on top of Loovens & Dielna) mean this isn't going to happen. Shame because Leeds have imploded and a repeat of last season's easy win is there for the taking.
A57owl, Was Wereham Owl, Towinjustonce And 4 others like this post
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »