Thread Rating:
Match Thread v Charlton
I haven't seen the Nuhiu sitter you mention Thursncoe, but by all accounts its a bad one, empty net miss. Laverys last week was a free header from about 12-14 yards out that he didn't get on target, and while he should have made the keeper work it wasn't really a sitter as such!!
I'm still the real winner todY THOUGH ans deserve 15 Smartass and should jump to the tjp of the BML Thumb up
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
(11-04-2015, 23:52)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote: I'm still the real winner todY THOUGH ans deserve 15 Smartass and should jump to the tjp of the BML Thumb up

Why??  For being a pussy and leaving the game early, something that should see you flogged not praised!!!
I Missed Again!

442, a slow start, a lead thrown away, Nuhui misses sitter and another draw. Seen it before!

Buxton was preferred to Vermijl, Maguire was selected ahead of Lee and Bus got the nod ahead of Nuhui.

Westwood made three brilliant saves to keep us in the match after Charlton ripped us open easily in the first half. They also had a goal disallowed for a borderline offside. Between these saves, we had a break of four against two defenders as Lavery ran at their defence. He had a choice of slipping it either way and slipped McGugan in perfectly but he shot tamely at the keeper when he should probably have dinked it.

Just when it looked like a goalless half, we scored with the best move of the match. Several players were involved down the right side with Buxton's cross giving Lavery a simple tap in. Full credit to Lavery for being there though. Full credit also to the referee as well for playing a good advantage in the build up.

We looked more threatening up front than usual with Lavery & Bus linking well. They both were finding good positions in the box and a second goal always looked a possibility with Isgrove & Maguire providing ammunition from the flanks.

Lee & Nuhui replaced McGugan & Bus and the game changed almost instantly. Nuhui gave the ball away twice and within minutes, Charlton were level. Westwood made a save but Helan didn't react quickly enough and allowed Gudmundsson to move the ball on to his favoured left side & fire home.

Lavery hit a magnificent thirty yard shot that came back off the bar and a minute later, Isgrove hit the same spot with a shot over his shoulder. Lavery left moments later, replaced by May. We went close a couple of times but should have won it when Nuhui missed the easiest chance of the season when May put it on a plate for him with a cross that took out the keeper.

Westwood - 8 - kept us in the game with four great saves
Buxton - 6 - dangerous going forward, set up goal
Lees - 6 - usual, untroubled
Zayatte - 6 - commanding
Helan - 5 - never looked comfortable
Maguire - 7 - best performance for ages
Hutchinson - 6 - shielded defence well
McGugan - 6 - a bit quiet
Isgrove - 7 - bright & pacy
Bus - 7 - lively
Lavery - 8 - constant threat, great control
Lee - 6
Nuhui - 2 - terrible miss, kept falling over
May - 6

While there were a lot of similarities with previous home failures, there were a few plus points today. There were a few well constructed moves down each flank. The movement of Bus & Lavery gave the Charlton problems all afternoon & we maybe saw the beginnings of a good partnership. May looked lively when he came on but we were weaker after Bus & Lavery departed. However, we were still reliant on Westwood for keeping us in the match.

Met our new owner before the match & while he didn't say anything, it confirmed my view that he is a smart cookie. He clearly has plans but they are staying close to his chest for now.
Owlkev71, Washington, St Charles Owl like this post
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
(11-04-2015, 23:57)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(11-04-2015, 23:52)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote: I'm still the real winner todY THOUGH ans deserve 15 Smartass and should jump to the tjp of the BML Thumb up

Why??  For being a pussy and leaving the game early, something that should see you flogged not praised!!!

no for seeing things would only go downhill ater HT so not wasting valuablle drinking time  Big Grin
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
Finally made it to Alaska, going out to eat and chase some Lights... Thought I'd check in to see how we did..

xxxx shite as usual, So is everyone of the same mind set now, Stuart Gray has to either step down to his previous role, or take a compensation package, and xxxx off. These results are so tiresome..

Anyway our season is over so no real moan other than please get shut of that clown SG. oh and Nuhui.

Enjoy the weekend!
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
Just a few thoughts on SG's interview on RS.

Before the interview, i said that he will say the substitutions were forced on him & not accept any responsibility for defeat. Of course that was the case. How refreshing to hear the Chesterfield manager a few minutes later admit that he made tactical mistakes that cost his team two points. SG defended Nuhui again, saying that May had missed more chances this season (guess he won't want to stay around then) and that Lees should have chipped in with more goals.

Most of his answers seemed to be designed to preserve his job. He used lots of phrases like "we are a tight unit" & "everyone is working for each other." Footballers love any manager that picks them each week and you rarely hear one say that things have got worse when a new manager comes in.

He said that the players were working so hard and none more so than Nuhui. This doesn't cut with me. I expect players to work hard when they earn over half a million per year. What I want is quality. One interesting tit bit that he let escape was that Lavery is the last one off the training ground, always practising something. That is commendable but by omission, it suggests that the other players don't. If I was a professional footballer, I would be working in the afternoons to improve my skill levels.

Reminds me of when Cantona joined Man Utd. Training was finished by 12.00 each day. The players had lunch & left but Cantona went back on the pitch in the afternoons & did another two hours working on his skills. The other players took notice thinking that if the best player they had felt he needed another two hours working on his game then maybe they should. The next week, Giggs & Irwin were practising in the afternoon. The following week half the squad was there & soon everyone was there.

i hear that no Wednesday players practise in the afternoons.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Cheers fellas for all your match comments.

If SG said that May has missed more chances than Nuhiu then he is a right fooking dope. It may be true but to publicly say it will certainly start to cause trouble in our so called "tight unit". Mays confidence will be crushed under SG.

My fear now will be DC has left it to long to get rid of SG.

Stateside we are all in agreement about SG, I actually want him gone from the club totally, no coach role no nothing. We need a shake -up behind the new manager. Enjoy the lights !!!
madsteve, Maddix, Statesideowl like this post
If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, you need a team....
Lavery had cramp and Barry had taken a knock. As for Bus, I presume it was tiredness. Nuhiu and May have both missed alot of chances, Nuhiu has missed more easier chances than May.
Nothing great will ever be achieved without great men, and men are great only if they are determined to be so. For glory gives herself only to those who have always dreamed of her.
Having watched the highlights this morning these are my opinions
We should have been 3 down before we scored, Westwood is the player of the year by a country mile
Our loanees show more passion and effort for the Owls than some of our own players do
That miss from Nuhiu was the worst I've seen for years unforgivable
SG don't think DC will sack him, but if he has anything about him he should walk away and admit he has done all he can
Neighbourhood Neanderthal knuckledragger
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »