Thread Rating:
European Union Referendum - In or Out??
I must say I've come to the conclusion that the mainstream politics of today in the UK, Conservative or Labour, are not "fit for purpose" any more and the time could come when a totally different political option is seen as far better than the political ideologies that this pair have traditionally offered for decades n decades! As Bob Dylan famously sang - The times they are a changing! And an eventual younger predominant voting population could make it happen.
(22-08-2018, 23:32)0762 Wrote: I must say I've come to the conclusion that the mainstream politics of today in the UK, Conservative or Labour, are not "fit for purpose" any more and the time could come when a totally different political option is seen as far better than the political ideologies that this pair have traditionally offered for decades n decades! As Bob Dylan famously sang - The times they are a changing! And an eventual younger predominant voting population could make it happen.

I think you could be right with that. Look at what happened in France with the emergence of Macron, but on the flip side I think that move away from the established parties and towards a populist candidate is what propelled Trump into the White House even though it was under the banner of the Republican Party. Politics has over the last 20 years gone to the fringes of the left and the right rather than the middle ground that tends to pull form the best parts of both ends, its exactly what Blair did to such success with the Labour party was pull them out of the looney left they had been in for years and put them back into the mainstream where they could actually win elections. My issue with Corbyn is that he is almost unelectable, he doesn't appeal to those in the middle ground who might vote for Labour or Tory depending on policy and personality of the leaders, and this is where elections tend to be won or lost.
hibeejim21 likes this post
(23-08-2018, 01:40)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(22-08-2018, 23:32)0762 Wrote: I must say I've come to the conclusion that the mainstream politics of today in the UK, Conservative or Labour, are not "fit for purpose" any more and the time could come when a totally different political option is seen as far better than the political ideologies that this pair have traditionally offered for decades n decades! As Bob Dylan famously sang - The times they are a changing! And an eventual younger predominant voting population could make it happen.

I  think you could be right with that.  Look at what happened in France with the emergence of Macron, but on the flip side I think that move away from the established parties and towards a populist candidate is what propelled Trump into the White House even though it was under the banner of the Republican Party.  Politics has over the last 20 years gone to the fringes of the left and the right rather than the middle ground that tends to pull form the best parts of both ends, its exactly what Blair did to such success with the Labour party was pull them out of the looney left they had been in for years and put them back into the mainstream where they could actually win elections.  My issue with Corbyn is that he is almost unelectable, he doesn't appeal to those in the middle ground who might vote for Labour or Tory depending on policy and personality of the leaders, and this is where elections tend to be won or lost.

Problem is SCO, that labour eventually became a shadow of the conservatives under blair, there was nowhere else for them to go in heading to that 'middle ground' that wins elections and that led to the electorate having no choice whatsoever. I cant see another political force emerging in the UK, our system is totally different to france's and very narrow. You only have to see the financial declarations yesterday of the 2 main parties to see how hard it would be to break away and form anything of substance. That's why those to the right of the labour party snipe and destabilise corbyn but will never leave the party...even after his reforms make it more likely that it will always be a left wing leader in the future, labour has a huge machine behind it which you will need to get elected.

I don't think there is much wrong with corbyns political ideas, just he has too much baggage from his back bench days and isn't a good enough communicator to win over 'middle england' and at the end of the day they always decide who we get in power. That in essence is what's really wrong with UK politics.
Latest scare story from project fear that you Scots will love.

We are likely to have a sperm shortage because we apparently import a lot of sperm for IVF from Denmark.

Now come on lads, would you ever have guessed England might run short of wankers?
0762, spireitematt, St Charles Owl And 1 others like this post
Probably the best sperm in the world.
0762, Devongone, hibeejim21 like this post
Cabbage is still good for you
(24-08-2018, 18:43)Devongone Wrote: Latest scare story from project fear that you Scots will love.

We are likely to have a sperm shortage because we apparently import a lot of sperm for IVF from Denmark.

Now come on lads, would you ever have guessed England might run short of wankers?

Laugh Laugh
Labour move closer to endorsing a 2nd referendum in the event of a 'no deal' brexit.
About time Labour and Corbyn did something positive re brexit rather than just waiting for the Tories and govt implode!
Jacob Rees-Mogg says people should be 'inspected' on Irish border after Brexit as they were 'during the Troubles'

This upper class idiot has no idea what it was like in places like south armagh during the troubles where our troops were in constant threat and had to be flown everywhere in helicopters and living behind fortified compounds.

It really is incredible that he can spout such crap, and get away with it too. Like it was just a matter of checking a few old ladies handbags.

A no deal by default will be hugely dangerous for ireland and the security of the UK.
(25-08-2018, 09:55)hibeejim21 Wrote:
(24-08-2018, 18:43)Devongone Wrote: Latest scare story from project fear that you Scots will love.

Laugh  Laugh

This IS the one aspect of Brexit in which the solution really is in our own hands.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »