Thread Rating:
ICC Champions Trophy 2017
Had to turn in and get an early night before the final decision was reached, but Pakistan did get their win by 19 runs on Denise Lewis in the end. That blows the group wide open. A Sri Lanka victory at the Oval today would really put the cat among the pigeons.
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Some pretty autumnal weather down in London (and everywhere), but looks like we'll get a game. Sri Lanka win the toss and put India in to bat. Rohit Sharma whacks the very first ball to the boundary. If India are in the mood, this could end up being carnage.
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
India finish their innings 321-6 off the fifty, with a big final over pushing them up by an extra fifteen runs. At one stage it looked like they might make 400+ with Sharma and Dhawan going great guns, so Sri Lanka have to give themselves a pat on the back, but India remain very much in the driving seat. Sri Lanka have only successfully chased down a total this big once before (against England at Headingley in 2006), but they've also posted a few bigger second-innings scores in losing causes too, including one earlier this year, so who knows? Good luck to them.
Whisper it quietly, but Sri Lanka are in with a good shout here. 184-2 after thirty overs, and they'd have been doing even better if it wasn't for a silly run-out.

138 more needed from 120 balls, with eight wickets standing; if it was T20 you'd back them to cruise it. All down to India's death bowling now. We look set for a cracking finale.
And they've done it! Sri Lanka win by 7 wickets, with eight balls to spare! Hugely entertaining game, and a masterclass of a run-chase from the underdogs. Every man pulled his weight at the crease, and aside from the daft run-outs there was never a hint of panic.

More importantly, this leaves every team in the group on two points, and means the remaining games will effectively be straight knockout fixtures. At least one of the two favourites will be going home when South Africa face India, and at least one underdog will go through when Sri Lanka play Pakistan. A real group of death.

[Image: TableB2.jpg]
All eyes on Cardiff tomorrow, where New Zealand face Bangladesh. Loser goes home, winner gives themselves a half-chance of progression. Crucially, as the weather forecast for Birmingham on Saturday looks grim, there's a possibility that Australia might end up having all three of their group games washed out; in the event of that happening, the winner of tomorrow's match would also need a positive run-rate to qualify.

In other words, a close win may not be enough. One side really needs to hammer the other to give themselves the best possible chance.
New Zealand 152-3 after thirty overs, still set for 300+ I reckon.

To correct my post from yesterday, it seems that run-rate won't matter to the winner of this match; in the event of a no result tomorrow, it would come down to number of matches won, and Australia would lose out.
New Zealand finish on 265-8 off the fifty, and Bangladesh will be chuffed with that. Having seen Sri Lanka chase down a much bigger total to win yesterday, they've got the road map for victory.
(09-06-2017, 14:43)Ska Wrote: New Zealand 152-3 after thirty overs, still set for 300+ I reckon.

To correct my post from yesterday, it seems that run-rate won't matter to the winner of this match; in the event of a no result tomorrow, it would come down to number of matches won, and Australia would lose out.

So its possible that the Aussies could go home without playing any cricket?? Crazy situation!! I can't help but think that for these type of tournaments they have yet to come up a way of being able to play in the rain?? Different ball, different type of wickets etc, the British summer is just too unpredictable!!
(09-06-2017, 18:27)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 14:43)Ska Wrote: New Zealand 152-3 after thirty overs, still set for 300+ I reckon.

So its possible that the Aussies could go home without playing any cricket??  Crazy situation!!  I can't help but think that for these type of tournaments they have yet to come up a way of being able to play in the rain??  Different ball, different type of wickets etc, the British summer is just too unpredictable!!

That is indeed possible. But I don't see what you can really do about playing in the rain; umpires already tend towards keeping players on when it's just light drizzle or a passing shower, and it's only when the rain gets heavy that they bring them off, and rightly so. You can't be standing at the crease trying to bat in a puddle. It'll be hard on the Aussies if it pisses down in Brum tomorrow, but that's the way of things.

Meanwhile, after making a terrible start and losing four early wickets, Bangladesh need more or less a run a ball off the next hundred to win and give themselves a chance of an unlikely semi-final place.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »