Thread Rating:
Spurs vs WBA - Match Thread
[Image: DSC_0225.jpg]

John Trewick glides past Steve Perryman and Glenn Hoddle at White Hart Lane, September 1979

No defeat in the season gets me down like the one that puts us out of the FA Cup. Last Saturday was as gutting as it was unsurprising, and like every year, it left me wondering what there is for us fans between now and May. A cup run generates good feeling around a club with every hurdle crossed; it nurtures a bit of hope in the stands. The race to see whether we can finish in 7th or 8th place, as much of an achievement as it undoubtedly is to accomplish either, still feels a bit hollow when you've so limply surrendered the chance of actual silverware.

But there's really no choice now except to put the cup behind us and crack on with the league. There remains a slim chance that we could snatch a Europa League spot by finishing 7th and having the cups play out in our favour, and at the very least, we'd like to be in contention for that eventuality if it comes about, so between now and May, it's on us to keep putting wins together if we can.

We start early tomorrow afternoon at White Hart Lane, a place which has done us pretty nicely in recent years. Spurs are bang in form, having just seen off Chelsea in the league and put some lower-league no-marks to the sword in the cup, so their confidence will be high. Hopefully it might just be their undoing.

Come on you Baggies, and let's see if we can keep our season together.
talkSAFT and HRK like this post
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Same as you Ska'd I was gutted (well still am gutted) about our early exit from the FA Cup.

Although whilst it does feel a little like that's taken some of the excitement out of this season, I still think we've got our best ever chance of going for 6th-7th place in the league (albeit 7th place is the more realistic) and creeping into the Europa League if one of the top 6 win the FA Cup as you say.

That would be a fantastic achievement in my eyes and I really hope we can keep the points coming in to keep us in the hunt.

Another fantastic achievement is the 200th Albion appearance for the one and only Gareth McAuley. Big congrats to the man and lets hope he can cap this appearance with a goal - he's got 4 already so knows where the onion bag is! Thumb up Smile

COYB!
talkSAFT likes this post
Chadli not fit enough !! WTF Dodgy

Evans out, Brunt out , Nyom still not available ..............

I'm a Baggies fan ............

Get me out of here Confused

On Nyom if he was left out of the National squad we should just play him , this is ridiculous Angry
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
Ah, I never realised about G-Mac's 200! What a milestone. What a player!
drewks likes this post
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
(13-01-2017, 21:55)Beefy 1965 Wrote: Chadli not fit enough !! WTF  Dodgy

Evans out, Brunt out , Nyom still not available ..............

I'm a Baggies fan ............

Get me out of here  Confused

On Nyom if he was left out of the National squad we should just play him , this is ridiculous  Angry

Wum fooked !

Sick
Who's going to play LB???
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
What on earth is going on with Nyom? He has not been picked for his country for the African Cup of Nations yet they haven't released him to play in the Premier League! Why are they being awkward "barstewards"?
(14-01-2017, 12:20)Kennyg Wrote: What on earth is going on with Nyom? He has not been picked for his country for the African Cup of Nations yet they haven't released him to play in the Premier League! Why are they being awkward "barstewards"?

I understand how and why we want to do things by the book here - ie wait for clearance from their FA - but also now can't see how we could possibly be punished for playing him today. Any court in the land would surely laugh at them, and the situation THEY'VE created, if we WERE sanctioned and then appealed?
Confused  Confused

OH - hang on - we're talking FA 's here, aren't we  Doh
Foster; Dawson, McAuley, Olsson, Brunt; Fletcher, Yacob; Chadli, Morrison, Phillips; Rondon

Subs: Myhill; Galloway, Robson-Kanu, McClean, Leko, Field, Wilson
Oh, shit! 1-0 already
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »