Thread Rating:
WBA vs Derby - FA Cup Third Round Match Thread
[Image: DSC_0220.jpg]

In 2012-2013, Albion enjoyed their most successful Premier League campaign to date, finishing the season in 8th place with 49 points. Yet something about that year seemed a little hollow, a little anti-climactic. Some of that had to do with the bridge-burning of former hero Peter Odemwingie, who would eventually depart in the summer. Some of it was related to the team's general late-season form, which saw us accrue just fifteen points from nineteen matches, and most of those thanks solely to Romelu Lukaku. But there was another factor to the dismay of the fans: despite enjoying our best season for over thirty years, we crashed out of the FA Cup at the very first hurdle, and with barely a whimper.

[Image: DSC_0227.jpg]

Four years on, and we find ourselves in 8th place again, just four points short of our tally at the same point in that record-breaking season. Barring some serious disaster befalling us between now and May, our safety is pretty much assured. We've taken the cup a bit more seriously in the last two years, reaching the quarter-finals in 2015 and the fifth round in 2016; however, on both occasions our relatively weak squad didn't have it in them to progress further. This time, however, having strengthened key positions and with many players enjoying a good run of form, we have the potential to do even better.

[Image: DSC_0223.jpg]

The draw could have been kinder to us, but then, it could also have been worse. Steve McLaren's Derby are currently chasing a Championship play-off place, which has slipped away from them a little during a New Year wobble. However, with nothing to lose, the chance of a scalp and what will doubtless be an enthusiastic following on Saturday, they could very well give us a proper old-fashioned cup tie. We can't really afford to be slow out of the blocks, and I hope that the team will be keen to give us a performance that shows some real intent to reach Wembley.

[Image: DSC_0224.jpg]

Albion vs Derby is a great fixture with a ton of history behind it, as these pictures demonstrate, so here's hoping for a classic. For those of you so inclined, feel free to have a go at naming the players and the year of each of the matches above, and for everyone else, let's hear your thoughts about our chances of a 2017 cup run.
talkSAFT likes this post
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Photo 1, no idea, nice jump though!
Photo 2, Astle, Dave MacKay, Tony Brown?
Photo 3, Ray Treacy? Joey Mayo.
Photo 4, John Osbourne, Paddy Mulligan, Charlie George.
Looking forward to Saturday ...first match for a long time.
My best offerings:
Photo 1 Kevin Hector, Graham Williams
Photo 2 Willie Carlin, Jeff Astle, Dave Mackay, Tony Brown, Roy McFarland, Colin Todd
Photo 3 John Robson, and I'll go with Ray Treacy and Joe Mayo
Photo 4 don't know, John Osborne, Paddy Mulligan, Charlie George

I'd be guessing about the years.
1. You're correct with Graham Williams, and the match was played at the Baseball Ground on 27th December 1969; it was Albion's last match of the Sixties, and also Williams' last game for the club. You've got the Derby player wrong, though; if you (or anyone else) fancy another stab at it, he was a Scottish striker, a proper Cloughie favourite who followed Ol' Big 'Ead to three different clubs and was part of the Forest European Cup winning side.

2. You're both right with Astle, Mackay and Brown; I actually can't identify the other Rams players myself, so will give Aries benefit of the doubt! It was, however, at the Baseball Ground on 1st May 1971.

3. Both correct, Ray Treacy (on his second debut for the club) and Joey Mayo indeed; a 2-2 draw at the Baseball Ground, 25th September 1976.

4. Both correct again. With the Derby man on the left, though I'm not absolutely sure, I suspect Aries' guess for number 1 might have been more apt in this instance. Match was played at the Hawthorns, 5th March 1977.
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
1. 1969-70 Kevin Hector, Graham Williams
2. 1970-71 Archie Gemmill (?), Jeff Astle, Dave Mackay, Tony Brown, Roy McFarland, Colin Todd
3. 1976-77 David Nish, Ray Treacy, Joe Mayo
4. 1976-77 Roger Davies (?), John Osborne, Paddy Mulligan, Charlie George
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
(06-01-2017, 15:22)talkSAFT Wrote: 1. 1969-70   Kevin Hector, Graham Williams
2. 1970-71   Archie Gemmill (?), Jeff Astle, Dave Mackay, Tony Brown, Roy McFarland, Colin Todd
3. 1976-77   David Nish, Ray Treacy, Joe Mayo
4. 1976-77   Roger Davies (?), John Osborne, Paddy Mulligan, Charlie George

Agree with Ska'd that it isn't Kevin Hector in the firstt picture. Whilst I would not stake my life on it, I think it is the number 9, O'Hare.
(06-01-2017, 17:06)Alouion Wrote:
2. 1970-71   Archie Gemmill (?), Jeff Astle, Dave Mackay, Tony Brown, Roy McFarland, Colin Todd

Agree with Ska'd that it isn't Kevin Hector in the firstt picture. Whilst I would not stake my life on it, I think it is the number 9, O'Hare.

Correct! John O'Hare it is.
I thought John O'Hare at first but he didn't look big enough against shorty Graham Williams. Then again, it doesn't really look like Kevin Hector either. Plus, I couldn't tell if the shirt number was 8 or 9 - and I don't think Kevin Hector ever wore 9.

Good shout with David Nish! Think you've got that one.
Kevin Hector could be the bloke winning the ball in the last photo. Dark hair, played up front.... hey, I'm enjoying this...
(06-01-2017, 15:22)talkSAFT Wrote: 1. 1969-70 Kevin Hector, Graham Williams
2. 1970-71 Archie Gemmill (?), Jeff Astle, Dave Mackay, Tony Brown, Roy McFarland, Colin Todd
3. 1976-77 David Nish, Ray Treacy, Joe Mayo
4. 1976-77 Roger Davies (?), John Osborne, Paddy Mulligan, Charlie George

Sorry, Ska'd. I posted this before your reply (or so I thought!)
I don't think it's Willie Carlin, as Aries suggested (in 2), 'cos I thought he had black hair, and thought it was a younger Gemmill, before he lost his hair.
I thought Roger Davies (in 4) 'cos the player has got quite thin legs, and Roger D was a strip of piss!
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »