Thread Rating:
A new World record for my local club
Some of you may remember me posting about my local club, The New Saints, up on the England/Wales border, who make the Champions league almost every year as Welsh Premier League Champions.

Last night they went a step further breaking Ajax's 44 year world record of the highest number of straight wins in "Top Flight" games with 27 straight wins in all competitions.  TNS have won all 21 of their league games, four in two Welsh cups and two in the Scottish Challenge Cup, in which they were invited to play this season.

The run continues, not bad for a team from a town with less than 20,000 people.  TP you are welcome to come up and bring your note book  Whistle

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38471799

COYB
You wouldn't be thinking of defecting, would you, Salop?
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
(31-12-2016, 11:30)Salopbaggie Wrote: Last night they went a step further breaking Ajax's 44 year world record of the highest number of straight wins in "Top Flight" games with 27 straight wins in all competitions.  TNS have won all 21 of their league games, four in two Welsh cups and two in the Scottish Challenge Cup, in which they were invited to play this season.

To be fair, when your opponents each week are comprised of ten lost sheep and a prize-winning leek, I'd imagine sporting triumph is seldom elusive Whistle
Beefy 1965 and WBA-Josh like this post
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Celtic are in a one sided league, success is easy for them, the premier league although not a one team league is heavily loaded towards the FA's little club of four with two temporary members who find success between them all pretty routine ..... TNS can only beat what's up against them but the quality has to be taken into consideration as well. Still it's no mean feat to win that many at any level ...... congratulations to them all the same.
(31-12-2016, 12:28)talkSAFT Wrote: You wouldn't be thinking of defecting, would you, Salop?

Never ever. I do pop up every now and again though ?. The quality is streets away from the premiership, but entertaining. I am not sure how the quality of team equates to the record, as stated somewhere (may have been In the story) some other acheived 30 in a row but we're only classes as second tier so there games did not count
(31-12-2016, 20:32)Salopbaggie Wrote:
(31-12-2016, 12:28)talkSAFT Wrote: You wouldn't be thinking of defecting, would you, Salop?

Never ever. I do pop up every now and again though ?. The quality is streets away from the premiership, but entertaining. I am not sure how the quality of team equates to the record, as stated somewhere (may have been In the story) some other acheived 30 in a row but we're only classes as second tier so there games did not count

East Kilbride in Scotland broke the record earlier this year but because they play in the 5th tier of Scottish football the record does not count. Apparently the team has to be playing in the top tier of their country's football pyramid.
Salopbaggie likes this post
Salop, I agree about the quality of the opposition should not really figure. If you are playing professional football it should still count, you are playing in a league suitable for your club size, finances and ability against similar clubs. Winning streaks are easily broken so managing 44 is still no mean feat ......

St Charles, the achievement of East Kilbride is no less amazing than the untouchables of Arsenal in their unbeaten season or any other team that go on a Winning run and should be recognised in the same way.

Me, I am happy when Albion manage a 44 minute winning streak. Only jesting .... we are premier league ..... established ... and nearly top ten regulars ........ keep improving onwards and upwards.

Come on you baggies
Salopbaggie likes this post
(31-12-2016, 20:36)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(31-12-2016, 20:32)Salopbaggie Wrote:

East Kilbride in Scotland broke the record earlier this year but because they play in the 5th tier of Scottish football the record does not count.  Apparently the team has to be playing in the top tier of their country's football pyramid.

One team in the 1st/2nd division I believe also created a record a non losing streak - but again wasn't classed as acceptable !!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »