Thread Rating:
Ben Foster
We seem to be taking this bloke for granted.
When he was injured last season I wasn't that bothered because Myhill was playing just as well, and I'd been getting fed up with Ben's poor distribution. But he's obviously worked really hard on this important element of his game, and he's as good as anyone on this aspect now. This season I reckon we'd be floundering near the bottom without some of his important saves, and he's definitely back to the form that won him England caps. Now, Joe Hart is better (but not by Head and Shoulders), and Southgate should have another look.
He's a local boy (Warwick), and I hope he stays local, because he's definitely Top 6 material.
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
(06-12-2016, 18:36)talkSAFT Wrote: We seem to be taking this bloke for granted.
When he was injured last season I wasn't that bothered because Myhill was playing just as well, and I'd been getting fed up with Ben's poor distribution. But he's obviously worked really hard on this important element of his game, and he's as good as anyone on this aspect now. This season I reckon we'd be floundering near the bottom without some of his important saves, and he's definitely back to the form that won him England caps. Now, Joe Hart is better (but not by Head and Shoulders), and Southgate should have another look.
He's a local boy (Warwick), and I hope he stays local, because he's definitely Top 6 material.

Don't agree, talkSAFT - IMO Fozzie is quite a bit better than Hart - as Hart's got worse (confidence has gone), Ben's got better.
Definitely agree that he should be at least in the England squad Thumb up
To be honest, being England goalkeeper is one of the biggest poisoned chalices in football; probably second only to being England manager. All it takes is one wobble and the tabloids are baying for blood.

Joe Hart's had more than one wobble, but I think he ducks the worst of the heat simply because he plays for an elite club, and the media know which side their bread is buttered there. You know that when a Rob Green or a Scott Carson makes a mistake, it'll be the end of them. Same would go for Fozzy.

Far better off just doing what he's doing right now; making his name as a near-legendary Albion keeper.
BaggyBomber and BaggieSteve like this post
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Yet again I couldn't agree more. Anything England International Football is ruined by the media, the only thing that remains pleasurable is the away trips to countries you may not visit if not for the football to be honest.

Ljubljana in Slovenia being one of the best ones I've been to in recent years. 2015 in the Euros Qualification. Beautiful city.
As everyone has said Foster has been absolutely superb with some stunning saves, and his kicking seems to have improved ten fold. I've noticed in a few games this season that the opposition are closing him down when he's got the ball at his feet so it's not gone unnoticed by other managers. I can only assume his England exile is sort of self imposed he comes across as a family man who would rather be home with them than jetting here, there and everywhere and certainly put club before country before the Euro's.

Fantastic gesture earlier in the season as well against Spuds when he gave his shirt and gloves to 2 youngsters in the crowd. Ben seems to come across as the perfect professional and a role model many would do well to follow Thumb up Thumb up
I might be chasing the impossible here but does anyone have any idea of how many goals Albion scored past Foster before he signed for us?

If we're able to get this information, would we then be able to break down who scored and if any of the current squad have previously scored past him?

(14-12-2016, 18:24)GlassEyedBomber Wrote: I might be chasing the impossible here but does anyone have any idea of how many goals Albion scored past Foster before he signed for us?

If we're able to get this information, would we then be able to break down who scored and if any of the current squad have previously scored past him?

We definitely scored six past him while he was Blues keeper. Three at the Hawthorns (one from Olsson, two from Odemwingie), and three at St Andrews (Morrison, Mulumbu and Scharner), and obviously Jonas and Mozza are still current players.

Not sure we ever played against him while he was at Man Utd, but if we did then we wouldn't have scored.
GlassEyedBomber likes this post
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Great news and worth every day and penny of a new contract

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/fo...r-12368357
drewks likes this post
(24-12-2016, 15:33)bomberbrown1968 Wrote: Great news and worth every day and penny of a new contract

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/fo...r-12368357

As has been said, a great guy, role model, and IMO consistently the best keeper in the PL.
A great bit of news Thumb up
Thart a grand lad our Fozzie !

Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »