Thread Rating:
A SQUAD PERFECTLY DESIGNED TO FAIL
Corrupted to mean a Trophy Snoots, not a competition. Trophy? What Trophy? Now if we can just persuade Pep to come out of early retirement. Whistle

Sorry, not Pep, Klopp.

Thick head from last night ..... Doh
Would rather have Pep though.
A guide to cask ale.

[Image: aO7W3pZ.png]

Multi-tasking. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.
Not Eddie Howe perlease. He looks and sounds so FA.
"sclaffed is most definitely a word" devongone Laugh

"its coming home" means that england is the home of football and there is a kind of weird ownership vibe to that song that puts me right off. I've always felt the game belongs to everyone and i dislike that song intensely. Like that offensive 10 german bombers song that seems to think that the RAF were solely manned by English personnel.

As for the next boss ? I tend to think international football doesn't have that much an attraction for the top managers nowadays. And if they are in an international job most of them would jump ship for a lucrative club gig any time. Your job is basically on the line with 5 qualifiers. Potter is probably as good as its going to get.

As for southgate i dont think he ever beat a team he wasn't expected to. He might or might not be a nice guy but he's an absolute diddy as a coach.
(17-07-2024, 13:43)hibeejim21 Wrote: "sclaffed is most definitely a word" devongone Laugh

"its coming home" means that england is the home of football and there is a kind of weird ownership vibe to that song that puts me right off. I've always felt the game belongs to everyone and i dislike that song intensely. Like that offensive 10 german bombers song that seems to think that the RAF were solely manned by English personnel.

As for the next boss ? I tend to think international football doesn't have that much an attraction for the top managers nowadays. And if they are in an international job most of them would jump ship for a lucrative club gig any time. Your job is basically on the line with 5 qualifiers. Potter is probably as good as its going to get.

As for southgate i dont think he ever beat a team he wasn't expected to. He might or might not be a nice guy but he's an absolute diddy as a coach.

While I agree with some of the rhetoric surrounding its coming home the fact that the oldest football club is in England is something that should be celebrated. It’s not about ownership, its about history and no different to St Andrew’s calling themselves the Home of Golf.
(17-07-2024, 20:35)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(17-07-2024, 13:43)hibeejim21 Wrote: "sclaffed is most definitely a word" devongone Laugh

While I agree with some of the rhetoric surrounding its coming home the fact that the oldest football club is in England is something that should be celebrated. It’s not about ownership, its about history and no different to St Andrew’s calling themselves the Home of Golf.

I wouldn't disagree SCO.

However England having the oldest association club doesn't make it the "home" of football in the way that song is implying. Its absolutely about ownership and a sense of entitlement, that i find rather odd seeing "it" hasn't been "home" in my lifetime.

The game as we know it has very little of Englands fingerprints on it.
Yet if England isn't football's home why do all these crazed multiple club investors keep rushing in to buy creakily-financed English clubs? Why is our league the best in the world? Why do most of the outposts of world football relate back to England in their foundation?

My objection to the song is that it sounds like unintentional colonialism. We're the sun you can't manage without and whether the rest of you become planets, asteroids or bits of milky way ranked 193 by FIFA, you get to orbit around us. The song goes on almost forever because even when we lose the process of coming home continues.

In this case isn't the truth that HOME is where the money is?
(23-07-2024, 12:57)Devongone Wrote: Yet if England isn't football's home why do all these crazed multiple club investors keep rushing in to buy creakily-financed English clubs? Why is our league the best in the world? Why do most of the outposts of world football relate back to England in their foundation?

My objection to the song is that it sounds like unintentional colonialism. We're the sun you can't manage without and whether the rest of you become planets, asteroids or bits of milky way ranked 193 by FIFA, you get to orbit around us. The song goes on almost forever because even when we lose the process of coming home continues.

To be fair we are reading far too much into a song!! It was written in 1996 for the Euro tournament that summer. The coming home bit was referring to a tournament being held in England for the first time since 1966, which was also the last time England won anything. England is the home of organized football. When it was written, it was apt for that summer but it has hung around ever since while England still wait for another tournament win, it doesn't do any harm, it doesn't incite anything sinister, its just a song!!
(23-07-2024, 12:57)Devongone Wrote: Yet if England isn't football's home why do all these crazed multiple club investors keep rushing in to buy creakily-financed English clubs? Why is our league the best in the world? Why do most of the outposts of world football relate back to England in their foundation?

Mark my words those clubs in England will regret the day they sold out to these "investors"....some of them are openly up to no good and football is the least of their interests.

Is your league the best in the world though ? I'd say by most metrics Spanish football is a lot better. Look who wins the trophies.

If you mean concentration of talent and money then yeah, but footballs about a lot more than that. I find a lot of the EPL games boring and overrated, i'd genuinely rather watch italian or german games.
(24-07-2024, 13:13)hibeejim21 Wrote:

Mark my words those clubs in England will regret the day they sold out to these "investors"....some of them are openly up to no good and football is the least of their interests.

Is your league the best in the world though ? I'd say by most metrics Spanish football is a lot better. Look who wins the trophies.

If you mean concentration of talent and money then yeah, but footballs about a lot more than that. I find a lot of the EPL games boring and overrated, i'd genuinely rather watch italian or german games.

Agree about the "investors" or owners some clubs have, time will tell if that catches up with the PL.

For me the PL is the best league not because of the money or even the players but because most weekends there are results that are not predictable between teams at the top and the bottom. The actual competition across the league is better than all the other European leagues with season long competition for the top places and for the relegation spots. And while Man City have won 5 of the last 6 titles, on three of those seasons they went into the final game needing a win to be sure of taking the title, you rarely see that level of competition in other leagues.

Spanish sides, or Real Madrid in reality, win trophies due to a lot of their league games being a walk in the park over the course of the season, whereas the top English teams are generally in a fight most games, that takes its toll at the end of a season. They are really the one team though that have the buying power and the pull to challenge the best.
Our league is the best at the moment because it is the most exciting. You can't judge strength by who wins European trophies because all the others get an easier ride than our clubs. It was a massive shock Bayern didn't win in Germany. Paris St Germaine are now never in more than a two horse race. Three big clubs have a chance in Spain. Italy is potentially exciting but financially it is currently a crackpot. Brazil and Argentina send their best players to Europe. Who else is there?

But yes we will regret our big investors because although a write OUR league that is the last thing it is. It is their league in our country, which might also be their country ...... Eventually Hibs belongs to Bournemouth belongs to Foley part of ........ Are we the fans really part of the we that we all talk about when referring to our "own" clubs?

In a way St Charles you are right that it is only a song. But in writing an anthem for simpleton it has provided a statement of BELIEF for nitwits. They believe we have some kind of divine right, a bit like Donald Trump thinking the only fair result is him winning ........ It panders to our worst instincts. Luckily we don't ever win so that keeps us in check. Unfortunately the same doesn't apply to Mr Trump, despite his ridiculous looks. Why does the dressing on his ear have to look as though someone just stuck an envelope on there? But that's another t/issue.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »