Thread Rating:
Match Thread - L**ds
agree with your ratings and view of SG tactics

have to search 1 in 50 people going into home end kev

Police was no different to usual IMO. Always have Mancs, Northumberland and Durham there for some reason (summat abart inept SYP and stuff)
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
The Curtain Falls on a Home Season Best Forgotten

My two hour drive to home matches was brightened up yesterday as I followed a BMW, registration SH 55 WED, bedecked in Wednesday gear from Burton, all the way to Chesterfield. Well Played Sir!

There was a good atmosphere pre match and a wonderfully observed minutes silence for the victims of the Bradford Fire Disaster.

After that, the match was a let down. SG set us up playing 451 with Lavery as a lone striker with Isgrove & Maguire playing as wingers and Maghoma joining Lee & Semedo in CM. The obvious weakness in this side was the lack of height, particularly up front but we had players that could trouble Leeds' lumbering defenders on the floor. Unfortunately, our only tactic seemed to be for Lees & Buxton to hit the ball high & long to Lavery who didn't win a single ball in the air all afternoon.

The formation meant that we got plenty of possession but we used it poorly and lacked ideas when we got near their goal. Helan picked up an early yellow card in preventing an early Leeds chance. He was an accident waiting to happen after that. We got the benefit of another penalty when we were going nowhere when Isgrove was tripped just inside the box. The referee took his time after blowing to make sure where the offence had taken place. Just seen the TV evidence & he got it correct.

Maguire was made to wait for what seemed like an eternity while Bamba calmed down as it appeared that he hit a team mate then threatened everyone in the vicinity. As ever, Maguire tucked it away with aplomb. Maguire, who had earlier taunted Leeds fans who claimed he was taking a corner outside the quadrant (incorrectly), started his celebrations in front of the visiting fans. Loves a wind up, that boy.

By half time, neither keeper had made a save apart from Westwood stopping Mowat with his feet in a one on one situation early on. even leading at half time, no-one had played particularly well and even Maghoma's bright opening 20 minutes had quickly faded back to his usual mediocrity.

There was no buzz or urgency about the team and it was little surprise when Leeds equalised. As we have all season, we gave away too many free kicks around our own box and it was inevitable that Leeds would score eventually. This time it was Semedo to blame, holding a Leeds player ten yards away from the ball unnecessarily. The ball was half blocked by the wall and only Leeds players reacted and Taylor had an easy tap in.

There was no improvement so May & Keane were brought on for Isgrove & Maghoma. May looked lively but no-one had the ability to pick his runs. Gradually Leeds took greater control as the ball just kept coming back as our long ball tactics continued to fail. Poor defending cost us another goal. Morrison beat a poor offside trap and although Westwood stopped him first time somehow Vermijl failed to stop the follow up on the line & allowed it to sneak in from a narrow angle.

After that is was just fuss and bluster. Bus replaced Helan. His only contribution was to block a Maguire piledriver.

The statistics show we had two attempts on target. The penalty was one and I cannot remember the other.

Westwood - 6 - two good saves
Vermijl - 6 - bright going forward
Lees - 6 - solid defensively, poor distribution
Buxton - 5 - adequate defensively, poor distribution
Helan - 4 - accident waiting to happen
Maguire - 5 - top penalty taker but gave the ball away in dangerous areas
Lee - 5 - game passed him by
Semedo - 5 - didn't look fit, lost the ball too much
Maghoma - 5 - bright start then disappeared
Isgrove - 5 - eye catching moments but not enough
Lavery - 5 - ran his heart out but no threat
Keane - 5 - hardly involved
May - 6 - bright & lively
Bus - not involved

This was another game where we lost it with poor tactics. I could understand the 451 if we played it on the deck and the midfield quickly supported Lavery. We did neither as he cut a lonely & isolated figure. Leeds were a poor poor side but we contrived to make the look half decent.

SG's post match interview was an embarrassment. Since he stopped saying "as such," he has now developed a habit of saying "Hey," which he used six times in yesterday's interview. That wasn't the embarrassing part. He appeared to have no idea what had happened and could offer no new solutions. In fact , it reminded me of the latter days of Alan Irvine except without the overuse of the words "bitterly" & "disappointed."

SG had the look of a man who knows that his days are coming to an end. It is just a question of whether it happens after the Watford match or a few matches into next season. I can't second guess DC's intentions. Everything he has said re SG has been supportive but my gut feeling is that he doesn't suffer fools gladly, which could mean a swift end for SG.

The home season is over. A season that has seen us win just five matches and score just 16 goals in 23 matches. Even is our worst season ever (74/75), we scored 17 home goals. We also achieved a Club record - the first time in our 148 year history that we have failed to score more than two goals in any home league match.

The entertainment levels have reached a new nadir. Despite that, nearly 12,000 fans have already signed up for next season (me included) based upon either blind loyalty or faith that DC will change our fortunes and entertainment levels markedly. He has the money. The questions really are:

How much?
Who will he trust to spend it?
What will get for his money?

An exciting new chapter is about to unfold. I can't wait to turn the page.
Owlkev71, St Charles Owl, Washington And 1 others like this post
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Still no like button fellas !! Owlkev and MS have extra rep points now. Cheers for the match reports  Thumb up Thumb up
If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, you need a team....
Nice one for the reports gents.

With the season being completely over now, well, I suppose there's 11th spot to play for? Does anyone think SG will field a youngster or two or even perhaps change the tactics for the final game?

I think the game is irrelevant in many regards, and even if it means taking a 6-0 pasting we should blood some kids and/or try something different.
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
we should go for it and try to ruin their promotion party
(26-04-2015, 18:02)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote: we should go for it and try to ruin their promotion party

Not sure there is really anything we could do that would ruin their day!!!  We could hammer them 4-0 and I don't think they will care one bit!!
I did'nt go,I was having a few days at the seaside,got xxxx piss wet through yesterday afternoon but stiil better than going to watch the xxxx shit.It sounded shit,was shit and I'm glad the season is nearly done,I won't have to go and watch the xxxx wankers again.Hopefully we'll have some decent players and manager next season, who can motivate and is more tactically aware and can change a game if it's going tits up.
I hope I won't have to boil my knob as well next season.
Nothing changes,again.
(26-04-2015, 18:11)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(26-04-2015, 18:02)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote: we should go for it and try to ruin their promotion party

Not sure there is really anything we could do that would ruin their day!!!  We could hammer them 4-0 and I don't think they will care one bit!!

It would put a dampener on things for them. I wouldn't want wednesday to wrap up promotion on the penultimate day only to get battered the week after by a mid table team who have been wank the majority of the season
(25-04-2015, 19:32)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote: just go  for laughget pissed like i am southey Thumb up

I am Thurny! getting down there early! might just stay in the boozer and get hammered! Laugh
JUST SAYING LIKE!
I'll be there about 8. Straight for breakfast then to watford for a few. Back up to Donny at 10pm Thumb up

Meant to be staying up for Mayweather v Pacquiao but that starts at 5 ish so doubt i'll be in a fit state Laugh
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »