Thread Rating:
Neil's bargains
Sunderland have signed defender Daniel Ballard on a three-year deal from Premier League side Arsenal for an undisclosed fee.

Ballard, 22, who did not make a senior appearance for the Gunners, joins with a further year's option on his deal.

The Northern Ireland international previously spent time on loan with Swindon, Blackpool and Millwall.

"It feels amazing to be here and I'm extremely happy," he told Sunderland's official website.

Ballard joins Sunderland having helped Millwall finish ninth in the Championship last season during a campaign where he made 31 appearances.

The Black Cats signed him after a move to Burnley fell through and the centre-back added: "The fanbase and size of this football club speaks for itself and having been up here to have a look around, it feels like an exciting place to be.

"Supporters can expect to see a player who loves defending and tackling. I'm more of a traditional centre-half and I want to add those qualities to the team, while also bringing something a little extra."

Sunderland boss Alex Neil added: "He fits the bill and he also knows what it takes to win, sampling success with Blackpool in the play-offs before having a year under his belt [in the second tier] with Millwall last season. We are really pleased to get this deal over the line."

Sunderland defender Bailey Wright has signed a new two-year contract.

The 29-year-old Australia international has played 91 times for the Black Cats and scored four goals since moving to the club in January 2020.

After initially arriving on loan from Bristol City, he made his move permanent the following summer.

He was in the Sunderland side that won the League One play-off final at Wembley and helped his country qualify for the World Cup in Qatar.

"Going from League One to the Championship is a big step, but we wanted to keep that core together and retain our key performers from last season," Sunderland boss Alex Neil told the club website.

"We know the leadership qualities that Bailey has, and he has played in the Championship before so he adds experience, but his influence on other players can't be underestimated.

"Although sometimes you can only see that off the pitch, I've been in and around it enough to recognise that and we are delighted to get this deal across the line."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Neil's bargains - by themaclad - 25-06-2022, 18:10
RE: Neil's bargains - by themaclad - 01-07-2022, 07:39
RE: Neil's bargains - by themaclad - 09-07-2022, 21:00
RE: Neil's bargains - by themaclad - 15-07-2022, 19:13
RE: Neil's bargains - by themaclad - 27-07-2022, 15:12
RE: Neil's bargains - by themaclad - 29-07-2022, 18:55