Thread Rating:
Leeds United Elland Road 21/1/2024
Leeds United 2 James Piroe pen Preston North End 1 Keane

Leeds United line-up: Meslier; Gray, Rodon, Ampadu, Firpo (Byram, 76); Gruev, Kamara (Piroe, 76); James, Rutter (Joseph, 90+8), Summerville (Cooper, 90+6); Bamford. Subs not used: Klaesson, Anthony, Shackleton, Poveda, Gelhardt.

PNE line-up: Cornell; Storey, Lindsay, Hughes; Potts, Whiteman, McCann (Ledson, 70), Millar (Browne, 77); Frøkjær (Woodburn, 90); Riis (Stewart, 77), Keane (Brady, 77). Subs not used: Pradic, Cunningham, Bauer, Best.

Attendance: 36,570 (1,881 PNE fans).

Referee: Mr D Webb.

In the 94th minute David Webb the hapless official probably got the only decision he got right by awarding Leeds a penalty for handball, no complaints it was a handball, my beff with the referee if he had done his job and sent Ledson off about 5 minutes early for a shocker of a non tackle on Piroe he wouldn't have been on the pitch to handball it, but such is life. Piroe took the kick sent Cornell the wrong way to give United the points.
6am get ups to go to a game on a Sunday are not recommened, got to Leeds mega early wandered round the ground as you do still thing the punk hair do on the Billy Bremner statue is seriously spooky.
Illness in the North End camp, Cornell between the sticks for an unwell Woodman, feared the worst however was presently surpised at the performance.
In the lead after 65 seconds Riis through brought down by Roden, clear booking not given, not the best of free kicks however landed at the feet of Millar who cross cum shot ended being put in by Keane.
The lead didn't last long cross to the back post neither the keeper or the dfenders could get it, James heads down past Cornell, six minutes 1 all.
Lively first half end to end with the home side always looking more likely to score, however some poor misses and some excellent dfending kept them out, at the other end Millar forced a good save from Meslier, by now the booking had started to rack up. Fair score at half time.
Second period scrappy we were lucky not to cencded in the first five minutes of the second period with Cornell looking shaky, he nearly dropped one into his net late on. As per usual we start to sit back inviting pressure not worked all season this tactic. Sure enough we are living by the seat f ur pants they should have scored didn't do. Ledson's hack sparks a mass handbag scenario and crucially wakes the home support up. Then the penalty and the points stay in Yorkshire

Leeds boss Daniel Farke told BBC Radio Leeds:

"These are the best wins of the season. I thought it was well-deserved and they're important for the mood, confidence and belief in the dressing room.

"Credit goes to Preston because they played with aggression, intensity and they defended really well. It was important we stayed cool.

"I said that Joel should take the penalty. He is our main taker but sometimes it is difficult if you've just been substituted in. He's ice cold in these situations.

"I was 100% sure he would score and thank God he repaid my trust. He's a key player for us and he's always one of my most important players."

Preston boss Ryan Lowe told BBC Radio Lancashire:

"Gutted is an understatement. I'm gutted for the boys because I thought they were terrific in everything they did. I don't think anybody expected us to come here and go toe-to-toe with them.

"The decisions from the referee baffled me all game. To be done by a penalty decision when the ball hit his body and then rolled up and hit his arm in a natural position... it's tough to take but that's football.

"I said to the lads to be proud. We've got to use this as a motivation for next weekend to continue.

"We knew we had to be fast out of the traps and get the ball in behind. I thought it was a great game and a fair result would have been 1-1."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Leeds United Elland Road 21/1/2024 - by themaclad - 19-01-2024, 20:30
RE: Leeds United Elland Road 21/1/2024 - by Lord Snooty - 21-01-2024, 15:55
RE: Leeds United Elland Road 21/1/2024 - by themaclad - 21-01-2024, 20:10
RE: Leeds United Elland Road 21/1/2024 - by themaclad - 22-01-2024, 11:54
RE: Leeds United Elland Road 21/1/2024 - by themaclad - 26-05-2024, 19:52
RE: Leeds United Elland Road 21/1/2024 - by theo_luddite - 27-05-2024, 16:35
RE: Leeds United Elland Road 21/1/2024 - by themaclad - 27-05-2024, 16:47
RE: Leeds United Elland Road 21/1/2024 - by theo_luddite - 27-05-2024, 17:01