Thread Rating:
Rotherham United New York Stadium 23/9/2023
Rotherham United 1 Hugill Preston North End 1 Lindsay
Rotherham United line-up: Johansson; Lembikisa, Humphreys (Revan, 45), Blackett, Bramall; Rathbone, Tiehi, Clucas (Nombe, 73); Green, Hugill (Kelly, 90+5), Onyedinma. Subs not used: Phillips, Eaves, Appiah, McGuckin.
PNE line-up: Woodman; Storey, Lindsay, Hughes; Potts, McCann (Whiteman, 71), Ledson (Stewart, 88), Brady (Millar, 71); Holmes (Frøkjær, 71), Browne; Osmajić. Subs not used: Cornell, Cunningham, Bauer, Woodburn, Whatmough.

Attendance: 11,434 (2,419 PNE fans).

Referee: Mr S Allison.

This was on of those games we should have won but in the end settle for a point and think fair enough. On the road for the first time this season, back to the cooped existance that is a coach, the familiars are still on board, the train spotters, Special Forces, Bob and Transistor Man
Motorway tarmac and the usual queues, not what Canned Heat sang about but hey the M62/M1 combo is such a sexy route.
Mass away support in the away end with the steepest steps in British history, a bugger for those whose balance is buggered(me)
Traditional walk around the ground avoiding the strip search by walking in at the side by the river.
Decent sunny day as the teams came out.
Started well looked a danger although didn't really carve out any clear cut chances apart from Osmajic header at the back post which was well saved by the keeper, Milers had periods of play where the main aim was to hit Hugill's head in the box.
One down against the run of play when North End's defence seemed to have disappeared although if Lindsay had done his job the ball would have been in the river. Muscled off the ball byHugill the home side had a four on one advantage didn't need his team mates curled it round Woodman from 20 plus yards great finish, poor by us. Even though he is an ex player he celebrated the goal which is how it should be.
Parity was soon to come, a corner from Brady nodded in from close range by Lindsay from zero to hero for the tall centre back.
Mr Allison who had a strange afternoon blew for half time as Osmajic advanced on goal as a home player pulled his hamstring, that decision went down a storm on the away management and the away end were slightly perplexed as well.
Second very scrappy in parts but it was also noticeable we actually played better passing footbal than we had done in the last two wins.
Johannson made a fine double save from Ledson and Osmajic, but when we got into promising positions it was one of those days when we didn't get the final ball correct.
Millers created little and probably the scrappiness of the game suited them. Could have won it at the end when Blackett majestically planted a Potts cross against his own post but as I said take a point down to third however 20 points in 8 games is a great start to the season

Rotherham manager Matt Taylor:

"It was a good game of football. Things seemed to go against us at certain moments.

"They're a good team and you can see that.

"We had to rejig things at half-time and tried to go toe-to-toe with a very good team. I did not envisage having that defence in the second half, but it was a case of needs must. Tyler [Blackett] was what I want him to be - a man mountain.

"It was more of a structured game. It was not pretty for the first 20 minutes, but it was solid.

"It was not spectacular in any way, but it calmed a few bodies down. Then the game disconnects and space appears."

Preston North End boss Ryan Lowe told BBC Radio Lancashire:

"It's a sloppy goal to concede from Jordan Hugill. Probably not what we'd expect for him to shoot from that far out but I felt we could have dealt with it.

"To get back in the game through Liam Lindsay - there was only one team in it if you ask me. They huffed and puffed a little bit but lacked a bit of quality.

"But so did we. That little moment of quality and decision-making. A little bit of luck was on our side. We thought this would be one of our toughest games of the season and it was for different reasons."

[Image: Screenshot-2023-09-24-093232.png]
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Rotherham United New York Stadium 23/9/2023 - by themaclad - 21-09-2023, 16:12
RE: Rotherham United New York Stadium 23/9/2023 - by themaclad - 22-09-2023, 18:41
RE: Rotherham United New York Stadium 23/9/2023 - by themaclad - 22-09-2023, 20:08
RE: Rotherham United New York Stadium 23/9/2023 - by themaclad - 24-09-2023, 12:13