Thread Rating:
RIFC
Given that he was having ongoing talks with King, Murray and Letham it could well be a quick bloodletting to quell that particular avenue.
Even though King said to Radio Scotland this morning that he hadn't been having discussions with Rangers?

Hard to know who's telling the biggest fibs - Keith Jackson or Dave King. Let's face it, they both have plenty of previous to go on.
Dave King invests in Rangers !

I won't hold my breath.

At least it gives us something to talk about during the borefest ... international break.
AVFC RFC SAFC
My initial thoughts are that this is, as pointed out, oddly close to the AGM to be initiating the process for an EGM, and that it's likely to disrupt any moves for further funding at a time we've been told we need it. Ashley playing for administration and a cheap takeover? If so I'm going to have to totally reverse my previous opinion of him. Even worse if he's allying himself to King's mob.
I think Ashley has support for change from other shareholders - he must be confident that he'd get his way otherwise he wouldn't be calling for an EGM. Suggests to me that he's against King's involvement, he's looking to protect his shareholding perhaps.

As to further investment - I dunno? Will Ashley block a share issue? If so, then he'll need to find a way to fund us until we can stand on our own two feet. I don't believe for a second that he'll be happy for us to go "Admin 2". He'd gain nothing and lose a shitload in the process.
Much may depend on if he or others have any signed and sealed but yet undeclared deals. The blue pitch/margarita holdings still interest me, and we mostly have an idea who they are.
Ashely is a clever businessman so sure this is not just a "I'm fed up with these guys" reaction. ...he is up to something, but who if anyone is in it with him?

I guess if we get the egm we,ll find out
We'll need to keep in mind that Ashley doesn't do press conferences or Q&As with reporters. He treats the press with utter disdain, which is something I wish we as a club could adopt.

Actions > words.
A question I have been asked on AVillaFan :

"do you think eventually he will sell up at newcastle to take over at rangers completely larry?"

Mike Ashley is 'he' and my answer (not given yet) is a variant of Patrick's : 'I just don't know'.

To try and answer, for MA, Rangers playing regularly in Europe (CL or Europa League) would provide a wider base for his commercial activities, a regular base that will not be gained via Newcastle. To get there via the SPL will not require the investment needed in the EPL, so Rangers provides a low cost, high return option.
Just answered the question !
MA would have to divest from Newcastle, to avoid any potential conflict of interest in European football, so it could be that he now sees Rangers as the best channel for pursuing his business interests.

But we still 'just don't know' and will have to await until events unfold.
AVFC RFC SAFC
Thing is, Ashley will get little extra coverage for Sports Direct if we qualify for Europe. UEFA have all the advertising locked down to their official partners. Red Bull Salzberg even have to change their name to FC Salzberg in UEFA competitions, and Dortmund's stadium name reverts to the Westfalen instead of the current sponsor's version.

I'd be shocked if Ashley isn't already aware of this.
Think it will be a big IF you qualify for Europe. What season do you expect that to be Trues?
HHGH
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »