Thread Rating:
RIFC
Confirming Mike Ashley's transaction (there are others today too).

Rangers FC - {RNS Number : 3221T} - 02 October 2014 (Mike Ashley)
AVFC RFC SAFC
(02-10-2014, 16:13)Trusevich Wrote: Confirmation that the buyer is Mike Ashley. Just announced to the LSE.

Raman Bhardwaj ‏@STVRaman

It's been confirmed to the stock exchange that Mike Ashley has increased his stake in Rangers to just shy of 9% #rangers

In your opinion is this a good or bad thing?? Is Mike Ashley a welcome shareholder by Rangers fans on the whole or not?
Much depends on his intent tbh. At moment I do not think he is disliked.....there was word from Newcastle last week that Ashley had found a buyer for Newcastle but I think it unlikely. If he is just, as it appears, strengthening his position then I dont see any problems.
He's on the official Sons of Struth List of Hate, but if it's anything like the Easdale situation that'll be purely for personal reasons and nothing to do with him harming Rangers in any way. I'm happy enough with him being involved, and if he was the majority shareholder I think he would at the very least be willing and able to bail us out financially.
(02-10-2014, 21:45)El Car Wrote: He's on the official Sons of Struth List of Hate, but if it's anything like the Easdale situation that'll be purely for personal reasons and nothing to do with him harming Rangers in any way. I'm happy enough with him being involved, and if he was the majority shareholder I think he would at the very least be willing and able to bail us out financially.

Problem is him owning Newcastle though. Unless he sells them then isn't 10% the maximum he can hold in Rangers shares? Can't see him getting the sort of offer he wants to sell the Geordies any time soon, so I suppose he is just about at his limit of his involvement currently!
Why El Car, would he bail you out? Surely, like the others, he is in it for himself- not the club. He bought the naming rights to the stadium for a quid, which in turn, could personally earn him a right few quid, depending on what he may call it, as has been suggested- Sports Direct Arena- only one winner there imho.
HHGH
Because if he'd invested enough to take control of the company he'd probably rather it kept moving up and increasing its revenue streams and value, that's why. And if we went to the wall those naming rights would be worth exactly what he paid for them, as would the joint venture retail operation we have, so he has as much to lose as anyone.

SCO, I don't know that I'd think it likely, and certainly not any time soon. I'm sure he recently said he wouldn't be selling Newcastle in the next couple of years, although he also said he wouldn't be investing any more in Rangers, so maybe something's changed there too. More likely he's just looking to get more influence over the direction of the company though.
He obviously see's long term investment, and aren't all business men in it for themselves.
Yes Cooper, certainly most are. There are done mega rich ones who use their clubs like toys but they are few and far between. Our Chairman openly stated when he bought us and saved us from admin that he saw us as an investment that he would make money on. It's up to these guys to make good decisions, invest in the club and maybe eventually sell on for a profit. Either way I would always prefer a wealthy football fan as an owner instead of just a wealthy businessman, Ashley IMO is the former.
That he is but given that it doesn't cost a fortune to win the scottish Premier, he may well see it as worthwhile as his returns will surely outwiegh that.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »