Thread Rating:
Captain Lescott
Joleon Lescott was once again outstanding in defence bossing the penalty area and directing his fellow defenders including even Fozzie. The difference he makes to the solidarity of the back four and the team in general poses the question, should the captaincy be given over to Jo?

Brunt may have upped his game since the Everton debacle but, he is not a natural leader of men and allows his chin to drop and moans if things do not go right. Lescott cajoles his team mates and talks them through the game. You could even hear him in Row 44 BRE !
Totally agree. Lescott is a captain and a leader and this shows with the way he commands the back 4 and in particular teaches young Dawson. This could no doubt teach Dawson to become a future captain, which I'm sure he could be
I'm not really in the camp that Brunt should be stripped of the captaincy.

Reason for that is that I don't think it matters who the captain is.

In professional football, I'm a firm believer than players should be self motivated and leaders will talk and communicate with younger players, with or without the armband.

Lescott will be respected for his top level experience and quality and the younger pros should listen to him if they've got their heads screwed on, regardless of the armband.

Stripping a player on captaincy doesn't send a great message, especially if he's liked in the dressing room and can cause more problems than it's worth. I'm sure the likes of Lescott can lead the team anyway.
BBB likes this post
As I have said on another thread. Morrison should be club captain and whoever is suited to the job on the day should be team captain. DD Cool Cool
Ubique.
I think AI has already discounted the idea of giving Lescott the armband but, that was before the player was getting regular games.

Wonder what our two first choice CB's of last season are thinking. Certainly not in the frame now.

If this continues could Jonas angle for a move in January?
Some days I'm top dog, most days I'm just the lamp post.
There is no doubt in my mind that Lescott has the potential to become our best ever Centre Back,surpassing even the likes of John Wile!
He seems to read the game so well,not just his own position,but everyone else in the back 4
(30-09-2014, 09:37)pieandabovril Wrote: There is no doubt in my mind that Lescott has the potential to become our best ever Centre Back,surpassing even the likes of John Wile!
He seems to read the game so well,not just his own position,but everyone else in the back 4

He's going to have to go some! Wile played about 500 games over 13 years!
(30-09-2014, 09:42)derbybaggie Wrote:
(30-09-2014, 09:37)pieandabovril Wrote: There is no doubt in my mind that Lescott has the potential to become our best ever Centre Back,surpassing even the likes of John Wile!

I think he's talking quality over longevity Wink
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
(29-09-2014, 23:45)Slick_Footwork Wrote: I'm not really in the camp that Brunt should be stripped of the captaincy.

Reason for that is that I don't think it matters who the captain is.

In professional football, I'm a firm believer than players should be self motivated and leaders will talk and communicate with younger players, with or without the armband.

Lescott will be respected for his top level experience and quality and the younger pros should listen to him if they've got their heads screwed on, regardless of the armband.

Stripping a player on captaincy doesn't send a great message, especially if he's liked in the dressing room and can cause more problems than it's worth. I'm sure the likes of Lescott can lead the team anyway.

...BUT, importantly, IMO you DO need a designated captain to gee people up; to organise, encourage/give a bollocking/pep talk as necessary through a game. At the present time if JL is doing this OVER the designated captain it could give problems where players could start to resent what's being said. or not listen, take sides, etc..
Furthermore, I think the statement 'stripping a player of the captaincy' is a bit over dramatic (a la Sun/Mirror) - I'd class it as giving the captaincy to a more appropriate person for the good of the team.

I'd agree that players SHOULD all be well motivated but still think that a captain - who SHOULD be a motivator and a leader - is still an important and necessary role.
Lescott for me! I still think Brunty has a lot to offer as a player but isn't either of the above  Confused
(30-09-2014, 11:22)Ska Wrote:
(30-09-2014, 09:42)derbybaggie Wrote:

I think he's talking quality over longevity Wink

Differerent era and I've probably got rose tinted specs on for those heady days when I first started going up the Hawthorns. Wile was a leader, motivator and a class act as well. Don't get me wrong I've been extremely impressed with Lescott and his effect on his team mates, but two games does not a summer make!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »