WBA vs Burnley - Match Thread
....." I'm worried that
what I called the "stale trio" of
Brunt, Morrison and Dorrans, who
are now undroppable after this
week, will not have the pace or
variation to open up the likes of
United and Liverpool"

Well 1996,they've opened up "only Burnley" (ahem) today and also Spurs last week......IMO it's a tad harsh calling them 'stale ', and also IMO if they can do it v Spurs they deserve a chance against Liverpool and Utd.
Of course, if they do well again it'll be because the other team were so poor......
He definitely picked up a knock during the game, not sure about the seriousness of it.
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Have we ever kept 2 successive clean premiership sheets before?? DD Huh Huh
Ubique.
Drewks - I know they deserve a chance, but I'm worried that we need more variation in the midfield to beat the better teams. At Spurs we scored from a corner but apart from then and today Dozza/Brunt have been poor. I'd be more confident going forwards if we had Varela in the side who has pace, trickery and Champions League experience.
[Image: 1348664730___West_Brom_-_Banner.png]
(28-09-2014, 22:14)Dingle-Dingle Wrote: Have we ever kept 2 successive clean premiership sheets before?? DD Huh Huh

Plenty of times, though admittedly not recently. Kept three in a row under Hodgson, April 2012 (QPR home, Liverpool away, Villa home); two in a row prior to that in February/March 2012 (Sunderland home, Chelsea home); two in a row under Mowbray in September/October 2008 (Middlesbrough away, Fulham home), and Robson managed it a few times.
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Fair enough 1996 - we're all entitled to our opinions, and I DO get what you're saying.....we DO have more creative players waiting for a chance now. I think that they will slowly be integrated into the starting line up as the games tick on......but for the moment, the Stale 3 are doing all right!
What a great position to be in! Smile
Burnley probably were one of, if not the worst Prem side I've seen up here. No attacking threat whatsoever and simply not good enough to play for a 0-0.

That said, you can only beat what's in front of you and I thought everyone played well today.

Dorrans has been woeful this season so far, but he was really good this week. Mozza was my man of the match against Spurs and played really well again. Gardner passed the ball much better than I thought he could.

Despite the clean sheet, I still see Dawson as the weak link at the back. He got bullied in the air for their chance and had it not been for a great save by Foster, that would've put them back in the game. Would've been food and drink for Big Gaz.

Lescott looks real class and made some great decisions at times. That is the weakest attack we will face, but the guy will definitely improve us.

Got some tough games coming up, regardless of who plays. In my mind, the current XI isn't our best, but at least they have to keep performing at this level to keep their spots. Next week will be a test.
Well Palace and Man U couldn't score against them and Swansea only got 1 past them so they're not complete mugs...
(28-09-2014, 22:25)Ska Wrote:
(28-09-2014, 22:14)Dingle-Dingle Wrote: Have we ever kept 2 successive clean premiership sheets before?? DD  Huh  Huh

Plenty of times, though admittedly not recently.  Kept three in a row under Hodgson, April 2012 (QPR home, Liverpool away, Villa home); two in a row prior to that in February/March 2012 (Sunderland home, Chelsea home); two in a row under Mowbray in September/October 2008 (Middlesbrough away, Fulham home), and Robson managed it a few times.

Thanks for that. Getting old now and struggle with stuf....... Errr where was I. DD RolleyesRolleyes
Ubique.
Final thoughts after a long day: eight points is around the "par" I hoped for at this point in the season, and I'm glad we've managed it, even if it was an emotional journey. Still, we were in exactly the same position under Steve Clarke this time last year, so we know how quickly things can go downhill. With confidence on our side, we need to push on and try to replicate the Spurs performance against Liverpool and Man Utd - we may come undone anyway, but a good performance is always a boost - before targeting the Palace match for another home win. Get four points on the board in October, and we'll be doing very nicely.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »