Thread Rating:
WBA vs Burnley - Match Thread
Great win and solid performance with flashes of brilliance.

Let's not be scared of the scousers and mancs next up.

Boing boing.
Pleased for AI & the lads. Still early days but hopefully last 3 results will take some pressure off and quieten the boo boys Thumb up
What a game! It just shows how much confidence a win or two can put into a team, and what that confidence does!
I've been very critical of 2 people this season - Alan Irvine and Chris Brunt. Regarding Alan Irvine, it looks like he may prove most of us wrong - are we beginning to see what JP saw in him? I hope so! And Chris Brunt, fair play to him today, he kept his head up, worked hard, put some decent balls in and got himself into some decent positions.

My only complaints:
1) When Burnley bought Sordell on, our defence got sloppy, maybe because they weren't expecting his pace? But even so, against another team that sloppiness could have cost us 1 or 2 goals.
2) Dorrans looks like he's afraid to cross. Today he didn't need to as he was allowed to hold up the ball and play the short ball to either someone who could cross or shoot (e.g. Berahino for 3rd goal) or use his technique to walk into the box and nearly score himself! But again, against other teams, not crossing could have cost us valuable chances.

Rubbish. Should have been 12-0. Irvine out! Boooooo Big Grin

Seriously though, a great and highly professional performance to cap a really good week for us. I was worried about the starting line-up, and we did seem to lack a cutting edge to break Burnley down during the first half-hour or so, but once we went ahead and the spaces started to open up, everything clicked into place. Midfield worked really hard, Lescott was an absolute hero once again, and Dawson also seemed really comfortable alongside again. As for Saido? I don't want to jinx him, but if he stays fit and in form, he should comfortably be aiming for a double-figure goal return this season.

Some tough fixtures ahead, but with confidence and momentum on our side, hopefully we can keep the points trickling in. Keep it up, Alan!
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
There will be a lot who will say "Twas only Burnley " etc etc, but MU got smacked by "only Leicester" last week, and today's opponents had let in HOW many goals before today?
Now I'm not saying we're gonna win the league, but I believe that we've got the strongest PL squad we've ever had; with a bit of luck, and if AI can keep on these lines I can see us surprising a lot of people this season, and maybe a comfortable 8th - 12th placed finish is very achievable Smile
What does this mean: Funky wrote

2) Dorrans looks like he's afraid to cross. Today he didn't need to today as he was allowed to hold up the ball and play the short ball to either someone who could cross or shoot

Looks like he's afraid to cross, but didn't need to ?

When was the last time we scored 4-0, let alone in the prem? Anybody?

BBB
I mean the Burnley players weren't closing him down, and gave him a lot of time of the ball.

Don't know what to say! What an outstanding performance by ALL the team!
Wasn't impressed too impressed with Samaras when he came on but then he played a great little ball through to Gamboa to cross for Dozza's goal - all forgiven !

If we perform like that, we can get points from the next two games against Liverpool and Man Ure.

Smile
I said how poor Burnley are yesterday, they will be aiming to beat Derby's 11 points rather than stay up. Wasnt happy with the team selection and not starting Mulumbu, Blanco or Varela annoyed me. We looked very good though and passed the ball as well as I can remember. Brunt was made to look like Bale, Mozza/Dozza/Gardner were sublime in the midfield and the back 4 were solid throughout. Sess wasnt at his very best but still looked a class above when he got the ball in tight spaces. Berahino looks like he could be our talisman this season in the lone striker role and Ideye is going to have to do something special to get back in the starting XI.

Amazing week but I'm not getting carried away, Burnley were beyond poor and I'm worried that what I called the "stale trio" of Brunt, Morrison and Dorrans, who are now undroppable after this week, will not have the pace or variation to open up the likes of United and Liverpool.
[Image: 1348664730___West_Brom_-_Banner.png]
Poco injured, or are the Beeb wrong again?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »