Thread Rating:
The gambling/betting thread
British Masters
(End of Round Two)

Shane Lowry 20/1 -7 Tied 5th

Danny Willett 20/1 -1 Tied 53rd

Thomas Pieters 66/1 Level Tied 65th

Paul Dunne 80/1 -2 Tied 42nd

Watched Shane Lowry yesterday and he never seemed to get out of second gear but on the holes where he played well, he managed to get the birdie. Contrast that with Matt Fitzpatrick, who played a lot better but had a few bad holes that cost him shots. Both players shot a 69 yesterday. I think that Fitzpatrick is far more likely to finish in the top five but if Lowry is there at the death, I feel that he is a more likely winner. Fitzpatrick is going to be a top player. He regularly leads after round one & two and sometimes round three but he hasn't managed that win yet. I feel that as soon as he gets that win, others will follow. It could be this weekend.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
British Masters
(End of Round Three)

Shane Lowry 20/1 -9 Tied 5th

Danny Willett 20/1 -2 Tied 48th

Thomas Pieters 66/1 +5 72nd

Paul Dunne 80/1 -3 Tied 42nd

The third round is known as moving day but today most players stayed pretty much where they were. Aphibarnrat, Zanotti & Donald made moves towards the top but otherwise it is as you were last night. Lowry played pretty much like yesterday - ok but never really threatened to take the lead. Needs to sink a couple of early putts tomorrow to get some momentum to pull back the three shots on the leaders.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
British Masters
(Result)

Shane Lowry 20/1 -13 Tied 2nd

Danny Willett 20/1 -2 Tied 46th

Thomas Pieters 66/1 +2 64th

Paul Dunne 80/1 -6 Tied 25th

Fitzpatrick was a worthy winner although the contenders fell away like dead flies. Annoyed that after backing him for weeks I missed his first win. He will go on to win many more times. At least I got second with Lowry.
Southeyowl likes this post
Fitzpatrick wins and Kjeldsen tied 2nd, that'll do nicely.
consilio, madsteve, Southeyowl like this post
Nothing great will ever be achieved without great men, and men are great only if they are determined to be so. For glory gives herself only to those who have always dreamed of her.
And Newport scored a third in injury time!!

Always next weekend!
JUST SAYING LIKE!
Frys.Com Open

The 2015/16 PGA Tour starts this week with the Fry.Com Open. This is played at the Silverado Country Club in California. This is a course that seems to favour the longer drivers and a winning score is usually in the range of -15 to -18. The par threes are tough and need parring while the shots need to be picked up on the par fives. Birdie every Par Five & par the rest & you will go very close.

There is quite a strong field with the betting headed by Rory McIlroy & Justin Rose. McIlroy doesn't appeal at 5/1 but maybe the fact that he swerved the British Masters & is prepared to travel half way round the world for this one is a clue as to how seriously he is taking it.

Hideki Matsuyama 18/1

Here is a consistent player who seems to excel in California. In six tournaments there, he has finished in the top four three times and has finished third twice in this event in 2013 & 2014. A player who likes the course & could step up to the top of the podium this week.

Tony Finau 40/1

I think that 40/1 is a great price and that this course is ideal for Finau. He had the best record on Par Fives on the tour last season so this course should suit him. He finished tied 12th last year.

Jonas Blixt 150/1

Blixt finished last season well and won this event in 2012. A bit of a punt but good value at 150/1

Derek Fathauer 200/1

Two Top Ten finishes in the last couple of months plus tied 12th in this event last year make him a lively outsider.

Good Luck!
Portugal Masters

An average strength field here with players that need points all playing. Kaymer & Weisburger lead the market here but I have looked for players to beat them at a decent price. It think it is probably going to take better than -20 to win here if the weather stays fine.

Alexander Levy 30/1

Levy won this event last year, remarkably at -18 when the event was halted after 36 holes. I like a course speciallist although Levy is a bit of a hot or cold player & what is needed here is a hot player.

Eddie Pepperill 40/1

Like Pepperill and he is going to be a top player. Finished well last week and think Fitzpatrick's win may have helped his mind set for this event

NicolasColsaerts 60/1

Was second behind Levy a year ago. Feel he could just be ready for a win on a course that clearly he likes.

Gary Stal 125/1

A decent player who has slipped down the betting recently. Won in Abu Dhabi early this year & finished 4th in Dubai & 9th in French. Hit two rounds in the 60s last year so value at the price.

Pelle Edberg 125/1

A bit of a punt but his name keeps appearing so I looked up his most recent results and he appears to be remarkably inconsistent. 85-124-3-127-113-2-81-33-4 are his most recent finishes. So amidst the rubbish are three top four finishes at the European Open, Czech Masters & European Masters. Worth a gamble at the price.
Frys.Com Open

Rory McIlroy 5/1 (£25 bet)
Brooks Koepka 16/1
Daniel Summerhays 66/1
Kevin Streelman 150/1

Portugal Masters

Tommy Fleetwood 20/1
Marc Warren 40/1
Lee Slattery 50/1
Pablo Larrazabal 80/1
Nothing great will ever be achieved without great men, and men are great only if they are determined to be so. For glory gives herself only to those who have always dreamed of her.
Cheers Gents! jumped on a few of those selections!
JUST SAYING LIKE!
(14-10-2015, 12:19)Owlkev71 Wrote: Frys.Com Open

Rory McIlroy 5/1 (£25 bet)
Brooks Koepka 16/1
Daniel Summerhays 66/1
Kevin Streelman 150/1

Portugal Masters

Tommy Fleetwood 20/1
Marc Warren 40/1
Lee Slattery 50/1
Pablo Larrazabal 80/1

We usually have a lot of overlap on our selections and if not, you have quite a few from my long list. This week, you have only two players that I seriously considered - Koepka & Fleetwood.

I really don't know with McIlroy. Initially, I thought why is he at this event if he didn't intend winning it but I heard today that he has to play it (as does Rose) as part of a sponsorship deal set up two years ago. Maybe he will be happy to miss the cut & fly home? Think it is a big risk at 5/1 if we don't know if he is really up for it.

Unless of course, you have more information..........
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »