Thread Rating:
The gambling/betting thread
(31-08-2015, 12:47)Owlkev71 Wrote: My 4 team accumalator:

Chelsea 13th
Hull 2nd
Blades 2nd
Portsmouth 4th

All well placed apart from Chelski.

Just did Middlesbrough, Swindon & Portsmouth. Swindon not at it yet.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
(27-08-2015, 19:39)madsteve Wrote: I have been looking at the US Tennis Open and feel that there is little value in Djokovic & Williams, the likely winners so I have looked for players at longer prices with a decent each way value.

In the Men's Event, I have gone with Stan Wawrinka at 20/1 & John Isner at 150/1. Both are in the other half from Djokovik so have an improved chance. Isner has to play Federer in Round Three but if anyone can beat Federer at this stage, it is Isner, particularly on these courts.

In the Women's Event, I go with Lucie Safarova at 66/1 and Belinda Bencic at 25/1. Safarova has got the perfect draw & avoids Williams until the final. Bencic is in Williams' quarter but Williams has potentially a tough route through to the final with Sloan Stephens and Radwanska as obstacles before Bencic & Sharapova.

Hopefully these four will give us a good value for money run.

Day One

Bencic won her opening match 6-1 6-2 against Karatantcheva - a comfortable win.

Safarova, Isner & Wawrinka are all in action on the Louis Armstrong court today.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
After the success in the golf, I have had a flutter on your tennis tips Madsteve!

If any of these come in I will owe you a big drink! Thumb up
JUST SAYING LIKE!
The tennis bets are a punt against strong favourites.

Serena should win the women's event but the two I have gone for are best placed to win it of the rest or win a place bet by getting to the final.

I think Djokavic is vulnerable. Wawrinka is the best odds player to win it in my view & isner is a long shot punt as a player who loves the surface, has a big serve & all his wins have come in the US.
Southeyowl likes this post
Been looking at the Deutsche Bank for this weekend.

Very hard to see beyond Jason Day, who was awesome last week so will be going with him. Was also thinking Justin Rose but have decided to give him a pass this week. I was hoping for 70/1+ to go with Paul Casey but maybe another time. Hoping that Speith & McIlroy will be concentrating on each other too much & allow someone else in here.

I have gone with:

Jason Day 13/2 (Paddy Power)
Henrik Stenson 16/1 (Coral)
Robert Streb 60/1 (Paddy Power)
Russell Henley 75/1 (Bet365)
Ryan Palmer 90/1 (Paddy Power)
Steven Bowditch 150/1 (Bet Victor)
Bryce Molder 250/1 (SKY Bet)

Think that gives me a good portfolio although inevitably I will find another couple I want to add before Friday.

There is a weak field for the Russian Open & I was hoping to see 25/1 for Bradley Dredge but can't go at 16/1.

Have to take on Kieffer. The question is who will be the one. I have picked three for now & may add another tomorrow.

Robert Dinwiddie 20/1 (General)
Craig Lee 40/1 (Coral)
Simon Wakefield 150/1 (SKY Bet)

Was really impressed with Dinwiddie last week & if he plays as well this week, he will be very close. Lee tends to do well on shorter courses so could get in the frame. Wakefield is a bit of a punt really but in this field, he might just get there if he can put together four good rounds.
(01-09-2015, 13:39)madsteve Wrote: The tennis bets are a punt against strong favourites.

Serena should win the women's event but the two I have gone for are best placed to win it of the rest or win a place bet by getting to the final.

I think Djokavic is vulnerable. Wawrinka is the best odds player to win it in my view & isner is a long shot punt as a player who loves the surface, has a big serve & all his wins have come in the US.

Safarova went out but Isner won 6-2 6-3 6-4.

Wawrinka just started.
MS, do the online booking in the UK accept bets from abroad or with a foreign credit card?
Not sure SCO. When I go abroad, I don't bet.

Wawrinka won 3-0 so pretty comfortably through to the last 64.
Russian Open

Dredge 14/1
Hoey 14/1
Phelan 40/1
Janewattananond 66/1

Deutsche Bank

Day 6/1
McIlroy 7/1
Speith 8/1
Matsuyama 40/1
Finau 50/1
Nothing great will ever be achieved without great men, and men are great only if they are determined to be so. For glory gives herself only to those who have always dreamed of her.
(02-09-2015, 14:01)Owlkev71 Wrote: Russian Open

Dredge 14/1
Hoey 14/1
Phelan 40/1
Janewattananond 66/1

Deutsche Bank

Day 6/1
McIlroy 7/1
Speith 8/1
Matsuyama 40/1
Finau 50/1

Interesting selections.

I was so close to going with Hoey (still might) as my main bet in Russia but went with Dinwiddie instead. I am off Dredge as he has let me down too often so he will probably win now.

In the Deutsche Bank, you have gone with all of the big three, which is effectively like having a 2/1 bet on the win part of your bet. Day is the man in form but both McIlroy & Speith could win. Last week's performance was like Tiger in his pomp, destroying a top field. It is as though winning the PGA has released the shackles. As you know, I have long been a fan of Matsuyama but have wavered a bit recently. Finau is attracting a lot of positive comments.

I am guessing that you have a favoured winner that you a backing big with the others as savers.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »