Thread Rating:
Joleon Lescott & Craig Dawson
From early reports, it's seems Joleon Lescott could become our star summer signing along with Pocognoli. Although his debut match, it sounds like he was immense in defence marshalling his fellow defenders and giving them verbal advice.

Younger players like Craig Dawson and Wisdom will benefit enormously from his guidance and wealth of experience as was seen with today's performances by our defence as a whole. That can only improve and I'm so glad that we didn't let Daws go to Burnley as I believe Jo and Daws will become a permanent fixture in the middle. Olsson has been under performing for a while now and both he and GMac aren't getting younger.

Just hope upon hope the Spurs game wasn't a flash in the pan?  It will be said Spurs were poor but they only played as well as we let them!

Smile
Maybe just me but I think Lescott and McCauley would be more solid Huh
BLACK COUNTRY BY BIRTH, ALBION BY THE GRACE OF GOD AND MY OLD MAN

You go in the cage? cage goes in the water, sharks in the water....Our Shark Cry

Ultrinque Paratus
Must say I would have thought the same Worldclass, but they did seem to fit in really well together and I guess a clean sheet says it all. Thumb up
....only a few posts, it's true, but the thing that stands out to me is the fact that Olly is not now mentioned as an automatic choice.
IMO he's been average to poor for the last 2 seasons, and (without having a go at him personally) is one of the main reasons why we've struggled for most of that period - you NEED to have a solid core to survive, and we've struggled in that central area.
Great that we now seem to have better options -maybe it'll also spur Olly & GMac (who I still really rate) onto better things when they get the chance Thumb up
Nothing against GMac World Class, but I'm thinking about his age and the future. Daws is the young bull and hopefully learning fast from the old bulls in Lescott, Olsson and GMac all of whom are, in reality, in the Autumn of their careers.
The stat I've trotted out most often in recent times is our appalling win record without Olsson in the team; today's the first time we've won a league match without Jonas in about two and a half years, and although it's obviously early days, this could be the beginning of a whole new era for our defence...
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
(21-09-2014, 22:28)Ska Wrote: The stat I've trotted out most often in recent times is our appalling win record without Olsson in the team; today's the first time we've won a league match without Jonas in about two and a half years, and although it's obviously early days, this could be the beginning of a whole new era for our defence...

...a big factor in this tho, IMO, is that we've never had a credible alternative CB, so his absence has been huge for the team. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that he's been generally well below par for quite a while now....... ever since he was linked with a move to Spurs (ironically), wasn't it?
Both played very well today.

Although, what I've seen over a period of time, I'd prefer big Gaz McAuley over Dawson every day of the week. Just an out and out defender, great positioning and sticks his head on everything. I think him and Lescott would be the most formidable.

Sure McAuley hasn't got years left in the tank, but as someone who came to the professional scene late, his body has had less of a beating than most. Plus, in football, the primary concern is always the here and now.
drewks likes this post
Again it's early days but it did seem that Dawson's confidence was significantly higher with Lescott alongside. First choice may be GMac but yesterday's pairing looked sound albeit this was Tottenham. Jonas has a job on his hands
Bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis.
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west...lbion-axe/

A big job ......
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »