Thread Rating:
The gambling/betting thread
A solid if unspectacular first day for me.

In the French Open, storms prevented several players completing Day One and also made low scoring difficult.

I have

Danny Willett -1 Tied 14th
Thongchai Jaidee -1 Tied 14th
Jamie Donaldson Par Tied 26th
Kristoffer Broberg Par Tied 26th
Brendan Steele +1 Tied 44th

All are projected to make the cut although Alexander Levy hit the water on the first and never recovered. It is very close so I hope at least one of my players will push for at least a place.

A very similar situation in the Greenbrier Classic except that the winning score will be much lower. It might take -20 to win this one.

Chris Stroud -4 Tied 12th
Patrick Rodgers -2 Tied 48th
Graham DeLaet -2 Tied 48th
Patrick Reed -2 Tied 48th
Seung Yul Noh -2 Tied 48th

All five of my players are in decent shape but one of them will need to shoot a 65 to get in serious contention.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Kaymer & Debuisson both top 10.

Reed & Delaet T48
Oosthuizen T96
Nothing great will ever be achieved without great men, and men are great only if they are determined to be so. For glory gives herself only to those who have always dreamed of her.
(03-07-2015, 11:16)Owlkev71 Wrote: Kaymer & Debuisson both top 10.

Reed & Delaet T48
Oosthuizen T96

Dubuisson played well yesterday & has a great chance. Still wouldn't trust Kaymer yet though.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Not a great Round Two for my players yesterday but with the field closely bunched, one good round can put anyone right up there.

French Open:

Kris Broberg -1 Tied 12th (75/1)
Brendan Steele -1 Tied 12th (28/1)
Thongchai Jaidee +2 Tied 33rd (30/1)
Jamie Donaldson +3 Tied 45th (25/1)

Greenbrier Classic

We also have players that could make a run, certainly for a place.

Patrick Rodgers -7 Tied 10th (66/1)
Seung Yul Noh -6 Tied 16th (70/1)
Chris Stroud -5 Tied 26th (66/1)
Patrick Reed -4 Tied 40th (33/1)
Graham DeLaet -2 Tied 62nd (33/1)

Would love to be top three but feel I have enough players in with a shout of at least a place to make it a profitable week although OwlsKev is sat with two co-leaders in the French Open.
Brilliant start to Day Three by Jaidee, -6 for seven holes to become joint leader.
Could be an interesting final day in the French Open. Jaco Van Zyl has gone clear but the pack is closely gathered so around 20 players could place or even nick it.

Brendan Steele -5 Tied 7th (28/1)
Kristoffer Broberg -4 Tied 9th (75/1)
Thongchai Jaidee -4 Tied 9th (30/1)
Jamie Donaldson +1 Tied 32nd (25/1)

A similar situation in the Greenbrier Classic with my players just off the pace but ready to pounce on the four way leaders on -11.

Seung Yul Noh -8 Tied 12th (70/1)
Patrick Rodgers -8 Tied 12th (66/1)
Patrick Reed -7 Tied 17th (33/1)
Graham DeLaet -5 Tied 40th (33/1)
Chris Stroud -5 Tied 40th (66/1)

One place should be about break even for the week. Should be an interesting day.
consilio likes this post
Just Kaymer for me who came 4th in the French Open.

Reed was my best placed finisher at the Greenbrier T29th.
Nothing great will ever be achieved without great men, and men are great only if they are determined to be so. For glory gives herself only to those who have always dreamed of her.
Looked nailed on for a place with Brendan Steele until he took a 7 at the 17th to drop back.

One of those weeks where most of my players did well but none did exceptionally well.

I have backed Wiesberger several times this season and watched him throw it away. Shame I wasn't with him the week he held it together. Should improve his confidence for the rest of the season.
heard the rumours of McIlroy's injury this morning so quickly got on Speith at 15/2 & Oosterhuizen at 28/1 for the Open before the prices got adjusted. Speith is now 11/2 & Oosterhuizen is 22/1.
This week's golf is interesting & tricky.

Scottish Open

Justin Rose is the favourite after his win last year. However, a change of course give him less of an edge although he has the game to compete on a links course. Traditionally, it has been considered a curse to win the Scottish Open as winners never did well in The Open the following week. That all changed when Mickelson did the double a couple of years ago. He is here again & is available at 20/1.

I have picked five players on the basis of form & links play.

Shane Lowry is the perfect links player brought up in links courses in Ireland. He showed his form in the Irish Open & again in the US Open. I expect him to contend this week and again next week and is brilliant value at 25/1 (Paddy Power - 6 places)

Branden Grace did us proud in the US Open and was one careless shot from winning it. He has the perfect game for links courses and is value at 22/1 (Paddy Power - 6 places)

Victor Dubuisson is a talent but lacks the consistency. He got into a great position in the French Open last week but a poor final round threw it away. However, he now has two consecutive Top Twenty finishes for the first time this season & his short game is ideally suited to the Gullane course. He represents decent value at 50/1 (SKY Bet - 6 places)

I have also gone for Byeong Un An at 50/1 (Paddy Power - 6 places)

Matthew Fitzpatrick is a player I like. He won The Open qualifier on this course two years ago so is worth a punt at 125/1.

I also like a few other lively outsiders - Tyrrell Hatton, Mark Warren & Thomas Aitken but will settle for the above.

John Deer Classic

I have mentioned previously the perils of tournaments the week before a major, particularly when playing on a different continent.

Three players stand out here because they have a track record of taking this tournament very seriously. One is the favourite, Jordan Speith. Speith won here two years ago in a playoff and was let down by a poor first round last year. I am torn whether this will have his full attention with the possibility of a third consecutive major on the horizon and odds of 7/2 are pretty skinny. At the moment, I am going to pass.

Zach Johnson is probably the best bet here. He has the best record in this event over the last five years, winning it three years ago. He is decent value at 10/1 (Bet365 - 5 places)

Steve Stricker has won this event three times since 2009 so is guaranteed to give it his best. He represents great value at 40/1 (Coral - 5 places)

There are others I like here - Ryan Moore, Harris English, David Hearn & Justin Thomas but I will stick with those that I know will give it 100%.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »