Thread Rating:
The gambling/betting thread
It's odds on that I'll receive a multipack of socks from Next on Sunday  Whistle
and complicated
You want to count yourself lucky. Mine are usually from Primark!
This open course looks brutal and it's making the pro's look my standard. Think MS is going to come out very well from this.
After Day One, i think the course proved to be a tough test for the players. The fact that Stenson & Johnson shot -5 shows that par can be beaten but so much is in the head & preparation for the course is crucial.

I may have misjudged the qualities required here slightly though. I have gone largely for Greens In Regulation players, thinking that big hitters might struggle. Largely that has been true but Dustin Johnson has gone against that with a magnificent first round.

The course will get tougher each day as it gets drier & faster plus pin positions for the final two rounds are expected to be more exacting.

My players have done ok but not brilliantly:

Tied 7th - Jordan Speith -2
Tied 26th - Michael Puttnam - Evens
Tied 26th - Hideki Matsuama - Evens
Tied 42nd - Jim Furyk +1
Tied 52nd - Justin Rose +2
Tied 52nd - Jimmy Walker +2

My Two Players for a Top Twenty finish both at 8/1 are:

Tied 26th - Michael Puttnam Evens
Tied 52nd - Ernie Els +2

However, I am still in front if all the above lose and Tiger Woods misses the cut and that is looking good:

Tied 152nd - Tiger Woods +10

I expect that any player that can finish four rounds under par will get a top ten finish and -5 will probably win it. A big factor is that the course gets harder over the day so under par scores late yesterday are better than early ones because they should get the better conditions today. That is why many firms have Speith joint favourite with Johnson overnight.

Think Owls Kev got it right going for Dustin & am annoyed with myself at not sticking with him. I do feel that he will find today tougher but I was so impressed with his ingenuity and shot making that he will clearly be in contention on Sunday.

Having said that, I strongly fancy Speith now and might have a small bet on McIlroy to miss the cut.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
The course is awful. The greens are like a 5th day cricket wicket.

I suppose it makes for an interesting tournament though.

Only one of my golfers is under par so I'm not holding out much hope.
Its only the 1st day MS and the way the course looks and is playing still alot to play for (unless your called Tiger!!!)
Nothing great will ever be achieved without great men, and men are great only if they are determined to be so. For glory gives herself only to those who have always dreamed of her.
I love this course.

Dustin, Stenson & Speith showed how to play the course but if you go in with a negative attitude then it will kill you.

A long way to go but Dustin & Speith must be strong favourites IMO.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Interesting Day Two. Had a bit more on Speith at 7/1 yesterday on the basis that he would have the best conditions yesterday. So far, so good.

Tied 1st - Jordan Speith -5
Tied 21st - Hideki Matsuama +1
Tied 28th - Ernie Els +2
Tied 28th - Justin Rose +2
Tied 44th - Jim Furyk +4
Tied 60th - Jimmy Walker +5

This is still very open. The early starters will have a great advantage over the leaders as the greens get faster throughout the day so the field could easily bunch up unless someone has a brilliant round.

Think Speith is too short now at 2/1. At least I can't lose now that Tiger has missed the cut but a Speith win would be a great result for me.
The course is spoiling the tournament. Even the leading players having their say on it now
I disagree.

The course is making for a more interesting tournament. Some players are embracing it and doing well while others have gone in with a negative attitude and are doing poorly or falling back. Colin Montgomery was moaning after the first round so it was kind of inevitable that he would fall back in the second round.

Most people in life like what they are used to & this course presents a whole different range of problems & opportunities. The trophy will be won by one that see the opportunities while the moaners are way behind.

Just added Brandon Grace at 14/1 on SKY Bet to my portfolio and laid a part of my Speith bet off.

Grace has been impressive & could have the game & temperament to win this.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »