Thread Rating:
Scottish Independence
Good to see the unfortunate gaffes starting early in tonight's referendum coverage!

"The Scottish people have spoken. Now we just need to work out what they've said."

Laugh Laugh Laugh
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Early declarations, Clackmannanshire and Orkney have voted No. Yes campaigners seem to be taking the Clackmannanshire result badly, but a long way to go yet.
"I would rather spend a holiday in Tuscany than in the Black Country, but if I were compelled to choose between living in West Bromwich or Florence, I should make straight for West Bromwich." - J.B. Priestley
Shetland says No with 64%, which is unsurprising. The Western Isles vote No with 53%, which is a surprise given they're an SNP stronghold. And in an astonishingly close poll, No wins in Inverclyde by just 86 votes, 50.1% to 49.9%.

No have just taken Renfrewshire with 53%. The big cities still to come, but it's looking like a stroll for No on results so far.
So far all the declared results have voted no, but none of the bigger constituencies have yet to declare, but the trend seems to be towards No.
Yes get their first victory in Dundee, though not by the margin they'd hoped; it's 57% saying "aye" there.

Yes have taken West Dunbartonshire, an expected victory for them with 54%.

Midlothian says No with 56%.

Clear majority for No in East Lothian, 62%; biggest on the mainland so far.

Stirling goes No with 60%, and that could be a real nail in the coffin.

And Falkirk also says No with 53%. Dominoes a-fallin'.

Angus votes No with 56%. He must be a pretty important bloke, they gave him 80,000 votes.

Dumfries delivers an expected No, the biggest majority overall with 66%.

East Renfrewshire says No with 63%.
Aberdeen City votes No with 59% of the vote, surprising result there. Looks like No are going to win this but still waiting on the big 4 constituencies.

Total is not 56% No - 44% Yes after some big wins for the No campaign.
More No ninepins toppling, Aberdeen City going 59% and East Dunbartonshire 61%.

Over halfway now, No leads nationally by 150,000 votes, a 56% share. Yes will need an absolute landslide in Glasgow just to close the gap.
Biggest 7 areas yet to declare and the total 1.7m votes, so about 40% of the electorate.

Glasgow result coming up in about 10 minutes, that is the big one!!

2.9m votes still to be declared.
Yes takes North Lanarkshire with 51%; a good win, but not the kind of majority needed.
North and South Lanarkshire go different ways, with North voting Yes and South voting No, but by a bigger margin.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »